Will 1hp motor push h260 on calm day??

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Gotta approach dock fast IF wind is high and at angle, otherwise get pushed into side posts. Though I learned that principle on my old boats and my new h260 has good side rails ... Hmmm. There should be vids of trying to dock in hi wave qns wind conditions to show how bad is side bumping. A few side pill fenders seem to get brushed aside or up and NOT protect ... but maybe I should fear bumping on sides far less. Gotta ponder that.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When I kicked the motor in to forward she just set there and churned water for a while before going forward.
This is 100% true. I have a 9.9 outboard and an unreliable 15hp inboard. The inboard stops the boat on a dime. The outboard makes controlling the boat much more difficult due to position of it vs the rudder and terrible response time. My boat will sit there for about 10 seconds before finally reversing direction. We've all had close calls in cars but it's far more likely to happen in a boat. When those occassions arise, we need something that responds in a reasonable amount of time. Underpowered motors can be dangerous when trying to avoid a collision or in mediocre conditions.
Someone should explore way to maximize MANUAL rowing from sailboat cockpit, just putzing with 1 oar is much less power than a real rig to row with 2 oars. A crazy long kayak paddle? Rig up seat to kayak paddle from ladder area of h260 and go backward? Yes whacky but options are good to explore before needed.
Freeboard might get in the way. I suggest you test this theory. Walking a boat down a muddy river might be more work if your feet are constantly getting suctioned in the mud. Your stern will also drift when wind, waves or current pick up.
Gotta approach dock fast IF wind is high and at angle, otherwise get pushed into side posts. Though I learned that principle on my old boats and my new h260 has good side rails ... Hmmm. There should be vids of trying to dock in hi wave qns wind conditions to show how bad is side bumping. A few side pill fenders seem to get brushed aside or up and NOT protect ... but maybe I should fear bumping on sides far less. Gotta ponder that.
You can usually add fenders to your dock so your boat doesn't look like a tug with tires all around