Wilcox Crittenden parts interchangebility

Jun 25, 2020
Hinckley Bermuda 40 Beaumont, Texas
My W-C Skipper is showing its age. Though many parts can still be found- gaskets, shafts, keys- the endangered parts seem to be the molded neoprene items. I just learned that the joker valves from Groco, Raritan, and Jabsco fit, if you tolerate the slightly more thin lip molding. Which got me wondering: what other parts may be interchangeable? Since any good industrial designer would try to design a new product with as many off-the-shelf parts as possible (keeping developmental costs for tooling, patterns, dies, etc. down) components are often identical across product lines and sometime manufacturers, thus the extremely similar joker valves. As an example, the piston rod and piston on the Groco appears extremely similar in shape to the comparable items on the Skipper.
I am specifically wondering about the part identified on the Skipper (the small double flapper valve) as “inlet valve assembly”, item 14 on many exploded parts diagrams. How similar is it to the item of the same name on other W-C marine toilets for which parts availabilty is a little better? And how about an almost-identical item on the current Groco?
If this interchangeability can be confirmed, these incredibly performing toilets (I’ve never had a clog in 25 years, including four years of liveaboard) could last forever, or at least until THOSE parts no longer are available.
Anxious sailors want to know.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
1. to save time, I can give a certain lady's reply now - which is "trow it out and get a Raritan Super Flushomatic, or whatever it's called.

2. worth saving, in my opinion. I wonder if you could get parts from some military contractors, since I know the Navy used lots of these.

3. Might be worth starting a thread as a "Skipper Parts Cross Reference...." Maybe it's this one.

4. Check other forums.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My original head was OE Groco. Failed at year 12 or so I guess. Was never great. Bought a WC which did not go more than 5 years before problems. Bought a Raritan PH 10+ years ago. No parts, no stink, no runs no drips no errors etc. Lube it and winterize it right and done.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
10-12 years would have been a good run for a Groco compact (HC, HE or HF depending on when it was made), which is what your first toilet had to have been. As for your W-C, it couldn't have been anything but their compact Headmate, which was discontinued at the same time the W-C Skipper was. Your Raritan PHII is far superior to both those toilets. It should give you 20+ years of reliable trouble-free service if you keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually and put a rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years

However none of them have anything in common with the W-C Skipper, which is an all-bronze "throne" made to last upwards of 50 years that had $1000 + price tags 25 years ago. The Groco Model K is only toilet like it that's still made in the US...it currently has a price tag of about $1700. See the attached photo of a W-C Skipper catalog page

--Peggie

WC Skipper.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
to save time, I can give a certain lady's reply now - which is "trow it out and get a Raritan Super Flushomatic, or whatever it's called.
You were WRONG!!

Anchor clanker... First...I see you've joined this ship of fools known as sailboatowners.com today...welcome aboard.! :)

I have exploded drawings and parts lists for all the old W-C bronze "thrones"--the Winner, the Imperial and the Skipper--if you want them...they might help you see which parts are interchangeable if you run into someone who has leftover spares for one of the others. Be VERY careful NOT to confuse the Skipper II with the original Skipper...the Skipper II was a Thetford knockoff of the Skipper that was a such a disaster it didn't last long. However some of the parts in the Skipper II kit will fit the REAL Skipper.

Send me a PM (private message...just click on my name at the left of this post) that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM) if you want the drawings and parts lists.

--Peggie

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You were WRONG!!
Yes, I was. Knock me over with a feather.

But, yes, unfortunately, it looks like the supply of Skipper parts has dried up. Shame.

I heard that Hinckley used to gold plate the exposed bronze parts on these. I know the US Navy used them, too, in small boats.

Jun 25, 2020
Hinckley Bermuda 40 Beaumont, Texas
I can assure you that Hinckley never gold plated toilet parts- at least not on mine or any other Hinckley I’ve ever sailed or visited on, which is quite a few. Bronze is quite lustrous when polished up, and the uninformed may think that which glitters is gold.