WIFI

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
Hello again dear compadres
As you can see I'm looking this time for WIFI.
Something simple, functional and not expensive. I need it to work in the Bahamas.
Which is my destination.
As always your advice and wisdom is highly appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There are a couple options in terms of general types of technology.

One would be a Wi-Fi repeater, which would connect to relatively distant Wi-Fi networks and rebroadcast them inside the boat for your devices to use. Those are relatively inexpensive but you still need to be fairly close (within a few hundred yards) to a free publicly available Wi-Fi network.

Sounds like what you’re looking for is really a cellular hotspot that will provide Wi-Fi on the boat by bridging to a cellular network. Those can range from fairly inexpensive (~$50) to relatively complex, with varying capability to pick up weak cell signals. In any case they’d have a slot where you put a SIM card to connect to the cell network for whatever region your in. Pricing for those data plans will vary also.

At the top end would be Starlink, which would give you internet without needing to be in Wi-Fi or cellular range of shore. But that requires it’s own satellite antenna, Wi-Fi router on the boat, and data plan.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have found Steve at Seabits to be knowledgeable about this subject.

@Davidasailor26 described the options.

Sailing in the Bahamas describes the location, the question is what kind of connections are you seeking.

WIFI free where available means a booster.

Near shore cell service means hotspot.

Anywhere freedom I see the Starlink system.

I am currently communicating with a sailor via Starlink. He is in the middle of the Atlantic.

Connection needs power. So which ever system you choose, you need to consider the power supply system to drive the connection.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When we were in the Bahamas we found very few, if any free wifi hotspots. We also found that for the most part Wifi access in marinas was pretty low quality. Bars and restaurants often have Wifi for their customers.

We did try using a Wave Wifi antenna/repeater and that helped some in marinas, but tended to drop the signal frequently.

It is better to put the money towards a data plan for your cell phone and use it as a hot spot. Coverage is generally pretty good. To get added distance hoist the phone in a dry bag up the mast. If your phone uses eSims you can buy the plan before you leave the US. The current crop of iPhones lets you have 2 eSims installed so you can keep your US number and access and have Bahamian access. Aliv and Bahamas Telephone Service (BTS) are the two providers.