Wifi questions resurrected

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I did some searching and found Hawking Technologies. They tell me that all I need is an external Omni-directional antenna and one of their router/repeaters/extenders. The router unit has three antennas - one to receive the distant wifi and two to broadcast it in the boat. unscrew the small internet antenna and attach the external long range antenna and Wa-la, problem is solved. It sounds promising and not too expensive. The range would be a mile or so which is reasonable. Anyone know more about this or know why its not so simple?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am not a techie but I am also not completely ignorant in these tech matters. But my eyes glaze over when I read these posts. The solution above lists a bunch of parts but how would I configure it all and make it actually work? Why isn't this as simple as going down to Best Buy and buying a device (one) that will reach out and grab wifi from a hotspot or marina and bring it to my boat where I can then connect wirelessly to it with my mobile and laptop devices?
Jay from s/v Doctor's Orders graciously purchased all the parts listed in the post above for me but the Bullet was defective. Amazon send a new one out and I should have it hand next week when I get to St. Thomas. When I get the system together I will do a post on how you configure it and put it together.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Anyone know more about this or know why its not so simple?
What could be simpler than screwing in two things and plugging one into a receptacle?

wifi inherently has range issues, based on its definition. If you want longer range, you either boost the sending signal or increase the sensitivity of the receiving equipment.

Active Captain has a good series of writeups of boat wifi. www.panbo.com has been doing this stuff for decades.

Not everything in life is plug & play, but this stuff really is child's play. Rick Stidger turned me on to the Alfa extender years ago, and I still have it and while I can't receive my marina's wifi down below in my boat, all I have to do is plug it in and it works. It came with software, like your old printers used to do, and I just ran the software, read the directions and it works great.

If you want to know more, I am sure there are all sorts of geek internet forums out there for you.

And if you're successfully running a sailboat, this shouldn't be any more complicated. Your boat's not plug & play, is it? :):):)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I did some searching and found Hawking Technologies. They tell me that all I need is an external Omni-directional antenna and one of their router/repeaters/extenders. [...] It sounds promising and not too expensive. The range would be a mile or so which is reasonable. Anyone know more about this or know why its not so simple?
That company does this for the living, so one can expect that their products would work as described.

This is exactly what you need: a router/ repeater. eg. their HOD45B. But the Bullet mentioned a while back (by JK) does, more or less, the same.

Btw. why can't you buy it at the neighbourhood BestBuy? Because it is a very niche product. And it gets less and less usage. People tend to buy a cheap cellular data access with a simple modem (like that ATT device) and don't need to rely on someone else's misconfigured WiFi router. The main audience for such devices is now limited to cruisers who leave the mainland and island hop on a budget. And even there you can get cellular data using international SIMs at more and more reasonable prices.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Two big thanks on making this post happen. Travis on s/v Party of Five helped me put together the list of components and the basic installation and setup. Huge thanks to Jay on s/v Doctor’s Orders, fellow C310 sailor, who purchased these components for us. The support we have gotten from the C310 owners is unbelievable but Jay took it to a new level. Thanks again.

The list of components is as follows:

• Bullet Titanium (2.4 GHz)
  • iCreatin Passive POE Injector or Gigabit POE Injector (B0135STO2S)
  • Trendnet 8dBi Outdoor Omni or Amped Wireless High Powered Outdoor 8dBi (he said 8 dBi is better than the higher powered ones for this use, so don’t go bigger)
  • TPLink AC1200 wireless router (you can just cut off the power cord at the inverter box and wire direct to the 12 volt system on the boat with a fuse in line)
  • ethernet cable (length depends on install but a 100 foot cord would be fine with all the components)
All can be purchased from Amazon for under $250.

Assembly is fairly straight forward. For the Bullet, open the box and only remove the Bullet. There are other components in there but you will not need them for the assembly as a wifi antenna on a boat. Attach the antenna to the top of the Bullet. Next attach the ethernet cable to the bottom of the Bullet using the waterproof housing on the Bullet. You could put up the Bullet and antenna assembly as is or you could add some additional weather proofing. For instance many boaters will use electrical tape or Rescue tape on their VHF antenna connections to make them more weather proof. You could do the same here. Personally I like Rescue tape because it doesn’t leave an adhesive residue when you remove it.

Now you have a choice to make: do you fix mount the Bullet and antenna or do you have it go up on a halyard? Fix mounting has the advantage of being always out and ready to use. But if you put it on a halyard you can adjust the height. Travis on s/v Party of Five describes wifi signals like a cone. So as they progress out from the source they have different heights that will offer the best signal strength. So being able to adjust the height will give you the best possible signal strength. I went for the halyard style install but I did run a second ethernet cable to the stern so that I could actually have the ability to install it on the stern rail and then take it down to put on a halyard for a better signal when needed.

The next big install question is 12 volt or 120 volt for the power over ethernet (POE) point and router. Both the POE point and the router in the list above are actually 12 volt units. There is a converter in the boxy plug that converts the 120 volt wall outlet power to 12 volt. You can see that by looking at the writing on the plug. So if you are only going to use the antenna on the dock you could just plug into an outlet. But if you want to use it at anchor or you just like having everything on 12 volt like me, you simply cut off the plug end and wire the ends into your 12 volt system. The tricky part of this approach is knowing which side is the positive and which is the negative. Luckily the manufacturers of these two pieces made it easy. There are white/gray dashes on one of the lines going into the plug. That is the positive wire. There are a couple of ways you can test this to find out which is which but thankfully the manufactures made it easy here. So I cut off the plugs, added ring terminals to each end and then connected them into a Blue Sea System terminal block. I often use the terminal blocks to put multiple lines together for one power run to the panel.

Next I had to find a location to mount the router. I chose to mount it upside down on the underside of the decks above the port settee. I used 3M double sided tape to mount the router. I cleaned the surfaces with isopropanol and let it try for 30-60 minutes before applying the tape. Then I ran some 12-2 tinned copper wire from the terminal buss to the electrical panel. The 12-2 wire is actually a bit of an overkill. The router draws 2 amps and the POE point 1 amp (you can get that info from the plugs that I cut off to make them 12 volt) and the run from the panel is approximately 20 feet so a total of 40 feet of distance there and back. Using a wire sizing chart, like the Blue Seas Systems one here (large PDF), you only needed 16 gauge wire. But 12-2 wire is what I had on the boat so I used that.

Final assembly is to plug the ethernet cable from the Bullet into the POE point, plug the POE point into router and power up the system. An important thing to note here is that the POE point actually comes with two pieces. One is for the router end and the other for the Bullet end. You don’t need the Bullet end, just throw that away. When you plug the POE point into the router, use one of the spots labeled “1-4”. Don’t use the spot for internet source. Seems a little wrong but trust me.

Now that you have it assembled, the hard part starts: you need to configure the Bullet and the router. I am going to give this in the easy way, which involves plugging the Bullet directly into your computer first. I actually couldn’t do this because we have a MacBook Air and those don’t have ethernet ports. So I did mine through wifi and the router which is harder. If anyone needs this breakdown I can give that later, just email or PM me.

The first step is to set you computer to have a Static IP address. This is different than how your computer will be setup for most people. Here is how to do it on a Mac and here is how to do it on a Windows computer.

Once that is done, connect the POE point to your computer’s ethernet port. Now open up your favorite web browser (I prefer Google Chrome but IE, Firefox, etc. will do). In the address bar type in “192.168.20.1” and hit enter. This is the factor address setting for the Bullet. That will bring you to an address screen that will ask for your username and password. The factory setting is “ubnt” for both. Once you enter that in and gain access to the Bullet the first thing you should do is change the username and password. Click on the “System” tab and change the username and password.

This is the first place you will hit the quirk of working with the Bullet. After you have changed the username and password you will need to go to bottom of the page and click the “Change” button (bottom arrow above). Once you hit “Change” a new line will appear at the top of the screen asking if you want to apply the changes. You need to hit “Apply” before moving on to the next step.

This will come up often and was a big source of frustration to me when I would forget to hit “Change” then “Apply” after making some programing errors and I couldn’t figure out why my programing wasn’t working.

Next step is to click on the “Network” tab. There are several changes that need to be made on this tab.

First, under “Network Role” change the “Network Mode” to “Router”.

Second, under “WAN Network Settings” change the IP Address to “DHCP”. Also, make sure the “NAT” is enabled.

Now under the “LAN Network Settings” is where things can get a little tricky. Start by enabling the “DHCP Server” (red box in the middle of the screen shot). Next go to the “IP Address”. You need to choose your new IP address for your network. This could be almost any numbers. Most networking gear comes with 192.168.1.1, or some small variation on this number, as standard. I am sure there is a reason for this but I am not a computer guy enough to know why that is. But you will need to set the number for the Bullet and later the router to similar numbers. You can see I used 192.168.50.1 while doing this write up. I did change it after I did all these screen shots. Someone could conceivably crack into your network if they knew these numbers (not sure how as this is way above my head). My recommendation is to keep with the 192.168.XX.1 where the “XX” could be any number from 1-99. This will just make things easier. The “Netmask” can stay with the default of 255.255.255.0.

Next you need to set the “Range Start” and “Range Finish”. These are the numbers that are available to be assigned to your computer latter when you actually log onto the internet. It needs to have the same first 3 sets of numbers you used for the IP address above. Keeping with the numbers I used for this setup that was 192.168.50. The last sets of numbers actually defines the range. For ease of programing just use 100 to 200 here. So the start is 192.168.50.100 and the finish is 192.168.50.200. Remember to change the 50 to what ever number you choose for the IP address above.

****Now make sure to hit “Change” then “Apply”.

That completes the programing of the Bullet. Now go back to the beginning and change your computers IP Address from Static back to automatic.

Next step is to program a Static IP address into the router. You need to give your router a static IP address in the same range as what you gave the Bullet. So using the address of 192.168.50.1 for the Bullet, I used 192.168.50.2 for the router. For the TP Link here is a link on how to do this programing.

Once you have programmed the router, now you can plug the Bullet into the router. Remember, you don’t use the “Internet” source ethernet port but any of the ports labeled 1-4. Doesn’t matter which one. And its the POE point that gets plugged into the router, the Bullet is plugged into the POE point and you have power to the POE Point and the router. Now power up. Give everything about 5 minutes to startup and get ready for use.

Log into the Bullet by opening a web browser and typing the IP address into the top bar (i.e. 192.168.50.1). Then put in your new username and password. Now click on the “Wireless” tab. This is how you will go to use the WiFi antenna anytime you want to use the internet from your boat.

Click the “Select” button next to “SSID”. This will bring up a list of available networks.

The two columns on this page that I pay the most attention to are the “Encryption” and “SSID”. If you find “None” under “Encryption” that means this is an open network and you can join without a password. Unfortunately you can see that there are no open networks near Maho Bay on St. John. This is one of our favorite spots but unfortunately when we are here I have no communication. No WiFi and no cell signal. That means very little ability to check weather or hear if I have a new charter coming in that I have to get back to St. Thomas for. But such is the price to pay to swim with hawksbill turtles and catch lobster for dinner along some iconic beaches.

If there where an open network you simply click on the little circle next to the MAC address for the network and then hit “Select” at the bottom of the screen. You will then go back to the programing screen and need to hit “Change” and “Apply” again like we discussed above. Give the antenna a few seconds and you should be online.

To verify that you are online you can check the “Main” tab. If you go down near the bottom and click on “DHCP Client” you should have an IP address listed and the status should be connected. Also there is a “Signal Strength” bar that will tell you how good of a signal you have. If you opted for the halyard installation you can move the antenna up and down on the halyard and see where you get a getter signal strength. It will change with height and higher is not always better.

Now sometimes you might have a specific network you want to connect to. This could be your marina or a local bar. We will sometimes put up the antenna and see what bars have a good signal. Then we go over to that bar and have a drink and ask them for the network password. Most of the time they have no problem giving the password to a customer but don’t want an open network. Some places have caught on to this and will take your phone to put in the password so you can’t log on from a WiFi antenna. Once you have a network name and password you log in a little different. You go to the “Wireless” tab and hit “Select” next to SSID, but now you are looking for the network name. Note the security type “WPA” or “WPA2”. Select the network and connect. But you have an additional step on the “Wireless” tab before hitting “Change” and “Apply”. Down at the bottom of the screen you should see a section for “Wireless Security”.

In the “Wireless Security” section, select the correct security type and put in the password. Now hit “Change” and “Apply”. You should be connected and can check it the same as described above.

Now I will have to admit, the programing side of this was a little harder than I expected when we started this project. The very first time we set up everything I had Travis from s/v Party of Five with me. But the original Bullet I got from Amazon was defective. So by the time I got the replacement Bullet, we were in St. Thomas and Party of Five had moved on to Grenada. So I had to spend some time researching how to do all the programing. But once you get through it once the operation becomes pretty simple.

Here is another downside, I have had this post in draft for almost two weeks. But in the USVI finding an open wifi or even a bar’s wifi that can work for posting pictures was nearly impossible. Everyone is shutting down their networks and a lot of bars are figuring out ways around making their network available to cruisers. But in the US you will likely have much better luck.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Jesse,

Thank you for the "shout out" much appreciated. We are glad to share in your journey and give back in some small way. What goes around.... Good karma and all that.

Hope to get to the boat next weekend and set up the system. The step by step is exactly what we needed.

Safe travels,

Jay Acquaviva
s/v Doctor's Orders

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
My recommendation is to keep with the 192.168.XX.1 where the “XX” could be any number from 1-99.
Use 192.168.x.1, as this is a "private network" and since you are behind the router that does NAT, this is what you want to be.
The "x" can be anything from 0 to 254, but I would avoid 0 and 1, so use anything from 2-254. Btw. it is good to write it down somewhere, because yo may need to re-enter that number in the future, when you find a need to reconfigure the router.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Someone could conceivably crack into your network if they knew these numbers
I would not worry about it that much. I assume that you have your local (internal) Wi-Fi network protected (encrypted) with WPA2. This means that it is as easy to crack into your boat's network as it would be to anyone's home or office network. Not that it is impossible, but easier targets abound.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
And sorry, but I have to hop on a high horse for a moment...
I hope that you are aware that connecting to someone else's network without his permission is illegal.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I got a comment from Travis on Party of Five with some good additional info.

I will make a comment on one other column that is important. The "Signal/Noise, dBm" column is useful if you have multiple connections you are trying to decide between. The Noise number is the WIFI background noise on that particular channel (how loud everyone else around in yelling). The Signal number is how strong the signal is at the bullet (how loud the WIFI device on shore is yelling). Lower numbers are louder. The further distance between these 2 numbers the better. i.e. a 71,92 signal would be super and you should get a great connection. On the other hand an 85,87 signal would be pretty poor. You might get a connection but it will be spotty and slow.

Finally, the other reason to have the antenna vertically adjustable is to avoid the WIFI cloud of other booster devices. Since MOST other boats have the devices mounted at deck level, the background noise at deck level will be very noisy. However you move the antenna up or down (sometimes only 1 foot) and you will watch the background noise number drop as your antenna leaves the WIFI cloud created by other cruisers boosters!

We have been using our setup here in Prickly where many other cruisers can't get a connection even with boosters.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Jesse,
I am looking into a Wifi antenna and like your solution of dual mounting options: on the stern rail and then being able to haul it up to the spreaders via the flag halyard. How do you route the ethernet cable for the halyard option? Trying to visualize this but having trouble. Can you describe or maybe even post a pic? Thanks again.
bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse,
I am looking into a Wifi antenna and like your solution of dual mounting options: on the stern rail and then being able to haul it up to the spreaders via the flag halyard. How do you route the ethernet cable for the halyard option? Trying to visualize this but having trouble. Can you describe or maybe even post a pic? Thanks again.
bob
I have a second, 30 foot long cat 5 cable. I just have it go out a hatch near the router. If it's going to rain I just stuff a towel in the hatch. Not very elegant but effective.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Jesse,
Happy New Year to you in the tropics! I am looking at a similar wifi set-up as you describe and have one question for you. How long a cable did you need for your fixed mount assembly on the stern rail? Was 25 ft sufficient or more? Am also planning to have the option to haul it up the flag halyard and see that you use 30 ft for that.

BTW, i duplicated your anchor bridle and have tried it once. Stellar! Thanks again.
bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse,
Happy New Year to you in the tropics! I am looking at a similar wifi set-up as you describe and have one question for you. How long a cable did you need for your fixed mount assembly on the stern rail? Was 25 ft sufficient or more? Am also planning to have the option to haul it up the flag halyard and see that you use 30 ft for that.

BTW, i duplicated your anchor bridle and have tried it once. Stellar! Thanks again.
bob
Happy New Year to you as well. I used 30 feet to go from the starboard stern to the router. If you were going from the port side then 25 feet would work.

Glad the bridle worked for you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And sorry, but I have to hop on a high horse for a moment...
I hope that you are aware that connecting to someone else's network without his permission is illegal.
Not all wifi signals are private. Xfinity has announcer of hotspots around the Puget Sound. If you are a user of Xfinity, and your boosted receiver can pick up the signal you can get the wifi you purchased but could not get due to the location of the site. Xfinity is not not the only carrier that has these hotspots.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
@jssailem - please note that I said: "without his [owner's] permission". We have a couple of Wi-Fi hotspots that are powered by our Club and they can be reached (with appropriate gear) a few nm out in the lake. There is nothing illegal or even inappropriate in that. The permission is the key.
Btw. the fact that the owner does not know is not much of an excuse.

Marek

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
True Marek. I identified the public reason for a booster. Like your clubs openness I suspect there are some private folk who either do not know or on purpose leave their wifi access open for the world to use.

Is open wifi like a car left on the street with the keys in it, I guess no. With a car the use removes the use of the car from the owner. Wifi use still available to the owner.

Perhaps there needs to be a way to say thank you to the open wifi owner.