Wife questions manual start outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2010
Catalina 22 MkII Hood River
I'm thinking of buying an extra long shaft 6hp Nissan Sail Pro for our Catalina 22. My wife is concerned that in an emergency (me overboard) she won't be able to pull-start the engine. Moving up in hp and weight as well as price to get electric start gives me pause. However I don't want to give her an excuse to leave me in the water. Are there any ladies out there (or gentlemen) who have addressed this "starting" problem in a way satisfactory to both parties?

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Find a boat with a similar engine and see if she can crank it. If she can, problem solved, if not, get the electric start or a different boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you answered your own question: "I don't want to give her an excuse to leave me in the water"
Get the electric start! And stop paying those life insurance premiums.

Jul 8, 2012
Helms 25 indiana
I used a eletric trolling moter on my 20' oday. had enough power to move the boat in a 18mph headwind on the lake I was on. they have small eletric drives that attach onto kicker motors used by fishermen to troll with. Or you can just get an eletric starter....

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I am using Tohatsu 9.8 with electric start. Having said that, just in case, I have provided necessary training to my wife on how to start the motor manually and she has done it numerous times as an exercise. I guess it depends on the engine and the wife :) Keep in mind, that 10-15 years ago, electric start on such small motors was not very common and female sailors had no choice. It was either to start the motor or to paddle.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
My lovely bride is a sissy girl but capable at the same time. Not much arm strength but she can start our 1992 Johnson Sailmaster. It's not her favorite thing to do, but she can do it. It helps if she rolls a pack of Lucky Strikes in the sleeve of a greasy t-shirt though.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Teaching her how to pull start it would be the best idea. Its not really about strength so much as speed. One good pull is worth a 100 weak and useless ones. What happens if the battery wont crank it?

Ive taught my 15 yo daughter and she doesnt have any trouble at all now.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
A starting "lever"

Here is a post that might be of interest:

"My wife also has problems with pull-start motors.
We made a stick with a slotted hole just off-center of the middle of the length of the stick, so she could start the generator in my absence. What you do is to put the pull cord handle in the slot until the handle catches in the hole. Now you have a lever to exert far more force with far less effort than pulling the cord directly. We had one for the 15hp Johnson so she could start it in an emergency, but it eventually fell apart and we haven't replaced it, as yet. I'm strongly considering making another one suitable for my small grandchildren to use to start the Johnson in the event Ole Grandpa ever has one heart attack too many. ...

On the generator it was easy; we put a hinge at the bottom of the stick, bolted to the frame of the generator mount. On the outboard we formed a kind of notch that would sit on the engine mount to use as a leverage point. The length of the stick may take a few iterations, until you have a range that you are comfortable with."

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/noframes/read/862213

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
That's an easier engine to pull start than my 5 HP Honda. My wife doen't know how to sail, but she LOVES to go sailing. She knows how to use the VHF, and if something happens, she know how to release all the lines. She also knows how to start the engine, and we practice it every so often. Keep you engine maintained and it will start easily on the first pull.

Don

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you fall overboard, there is more to saving you than just starting the engine...

first teach her how to quickly throw a life ring.... to you. there should be no time wasted thinking about this, as it should be a reaction not a thought process...
then she needs to round the boat up into the wind, or turn it and sail back to you.... and throw you a line.

starting the motor takes time and it may become flooded and not start if the operator is in a panic.... and while she is trying to figure out why it wont start, you are very quickly being left behind and lost from sight....
And, if it does start, turning the boat with the sails up and not knowing the consequences, could cause a jibe or a knock down, or maybe even a boat that is returning to you that is out of control......

there are better, more worthwhile and sound techniques to practice during a MOB drill than learning to start the outboard.... if all the other knowledge is not there, it could still be disastrous.... if all the other knowledge IS in place, its highly unlikely that the outboard will ever be needed.....

it can go from bad to worse very quickly if the entire knowledge and experience base is removed from the boat when its needed the most.... so share some of it (teach) with her, and at the very least, she will be able to think calmly and clearly enough in that situation to quickly decide if she does in fact, want to turn around and return:D

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
centerline has made an excellent point..... being able to start an outboard doesn't guarantee anything..... if you're truly concerned... have her run a mob drill by herself.... then you can decide an electric start is all that important... then get a harness and tether and wear it... i.e. stay attached to the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I am using Tohatsu 9.8 with electric start. Having said that, just in case, I have provided necessary training to my wife on how to start the motor manually and she has done it numerous times as an exercise. I guess it depends on the engine and the wife :) Keep in mind, that 10-15 years ago, electric start on such small motors was not very common and female sailors had no choice. It was either to start the motor or to paddle.
Or, (heaven forbid) actually SAIL the thing back to the MOB!!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I'd like to see a picture of this stick lever.... I can't picture it.

I tend to think teaching her to pull start it is better, but getting an electric is the correct answer. -I don't trust the battery to work when it counts. how much more $ are we talking about? and will you get that back when you sell it?

fwiw, I've pull started a 225 hp.. (but it was hot.) actually it was pretty easy. finally, starting the engine would be my last resort. if I was already sailing.
if someone falls over, when I'm driving, I just round up, and sail back to them. takes just too long to drop sails and start an engine.
but if that what she wants, do it. not a battle worth fighting...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Heck, I'd be happy if my wife just knew how to heave to...But, yeah, if she can't yank a pull start (which could be found out fairly easily), get the electric start.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sumner (on this list) does extensive cruising and tells a story of how he and his wife got stranded when he fell and broke his shoulder... she couldn't start the o.b. and there was no wind.

Look him up and ask him this question directly. He has thought a lot about it.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
The truth is most women dont know "how" to pull start a motor. It doesnt have as much to do with strength as it does "technique". Its like a golf swing, or swinging a tennis racquet. No, most women aren't going to swing a ball out 400 yards with a big woody like big guy, but were not talking about cranking up a 150 HP six cylinder merc, were talking about a tiny 10 hp.

I had to "teach" my 15 yo daughter how to pull them over. At first she had the same trouble I think most women have. She pulled too slow, the engine turned to slow, wouldnt start, was very hard work, wore her down rapidly. "I cant do it dad!". Then I would walk up and in one tug it was running and she would get mad. I kept explaining to her you have to attack it, pull it with anger. Use speed, brains over braun. Boy, once she "got it", she gets most the small engines we have in one pull, and has impressed more than a few boys and men at her ability.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would buy the Nissan 6 Hp and teach her how to run it. If anything, I would want the engine to have a charging unit more than an electric start. My 1999 Johnson 8 hp two stroke long shaft has the pull starter and is an easy engine to start for any female.

Status
Not open for further replies.