Widgeon Mainsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod Johnson

Ken O'Connor was looking for advice on how to rig the mainsheet on his O'Day Widgeon. Well, as a former owner of a Widgeon, here goes...first there should be an two eyes on the end of the boom, top one is for the outhaul and the bottom one is where the end of the mainsheet is tied (or spliced or shackled). the mainsheet runs from that eye down to one of the blocks on the transom corners, across to the other transom corner block, up to the block near the end of the boom, forward to the block at about mid-boom, down to a block at the aft end of the CB trunk that will have a clamcleat to secure the sheet. His boat may be older and not have the block on the cb trunk, and so the mainsheet would then be just looped under the bottom horn of the cleat shown and held in the skippers hand. It is not really safe to tie the sheet to the cleat except when the sail is down. With the camcleat, the sheet can be held by the camcleat but still kept in the skipper's hand to allow instant release if a wind gust hits.

K

Ken O'Connor

Thanks Rod!

Rod, Thanks for your help. I ended up sitting in my widgeon for hours one day with all the rigging and eventually figured it out. I'm glad to see that my solution is the same as the correct one! Thanks Again! Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.