Widgeon Main Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eppoh

Aug 9, 2009
Oday Widgeon Hangar
Just acquired a 68 Widgeon, but I think the main sheet is the wrong size line. It is a little too big for the block.

Anyone know what size line it is supposed to use?

Also, did the Widgeon have jib cleats or cars on top of the gunnels?

I have never had a loose footed sail rig before, and have little experience anyway, so this should be interesting.

I did not get any kind of manual or instructions for it.

Thanks to all.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I have copies of the WIDGEON manual that I can send to you ($10 postage/printing cost) that covers all the rigging sizes and how to set the boat up. This is an expanded version of the original O'DAY instruction sheets, in booklet form with more diagrams.

Anyway, the mainsheet on the 1968 model was 5/16" x 33'.
I had a 1969 model which would be pretty much the same as your 1968, and the jibsheets ran through blocks that were mounted on the inside of the cockpit edge and the sheets ran to a pair of camcleats on the top of the CB trunk. I've included a picture of my boat below describing the jibsheet leads. The diagram shows the jib sheet rigging on a later model with a deck, but the earlier models like yours and mine were the same as far as jibsheets. The diagram also shows the later set up where the jibsheets were cleated on the gunwales, I prefer the older version since it is easier to use and the sail sets better.

The loose-footed sail is set up by adjusting the outhaul to have about 6" or so slack with the sail raised. Kind of hard to explain.....easy to show, hard to put in words! I included a picture of a Widgeon under sail w/spinnaker, I think it will give you a clue about the proper outhaul setting. In stronger winds, tighten the outhaul to flatten the sail more.

Attachments

eppoh

Aug 9, 2009
Oday Widgeon Hangar
That is a nice looking Widgeon!

Mine is set up like a mix of early and late, and not that well either. There are no cam cleats for the jib sheets on the fwd trunk. Just an old bronze cleat. It looks like there were cam cleats mounted on the top of the gunnels at one time, judging from the small screw holes there now. I had that set up on a Harpoon once and liked it.

Do you know the proper cam cleat size for that? Is that info in your booklet?

My main sheet is set up like the later alternate rig in the diagram, although for some reason it has an extra block at the rear of the boom at the eye, instead having the sheet just tied to the eye itself. Haven't figure out what the previous owner was trying to do, except I think she got the main sheet off a bigger boat. It is a little to large diameter for the traveler blocks. I will probably order the correct one from that guy that sells Oday gear.

Oh, does your booklet describe the proper rigging of the traveler too?

I sailed her for the first time today and I think the PO installed the center board incorrectly. There is a ton of side to side play. When sitting becalmed, in a little chop from the side, it bangs around a lot. So much the whole trunk moves a little. I think she may have left out a bushing or something when she worked on the retractor handle hardware. I need to find out how that C/B is supposed to be installed to with the correct hardware list..

Finally, where does the down hall tie to? The eye on the front of the boom or the eye on top at the front? I will certainly buy your booklet if it has all the info I need to set the boat correctly.

You can email me, ragwing8 yahoo for billing info

MG1950

Nov 19, 2009
Oday Widgeon Millsboro, DE
Widgeon booklet

I have copies of the WIDGEON manual that I can send to you ($10 postage/printing cost) that covers all the rigging sizes and how to set the boat up. This is an expanded version of the original O'DAY instruction sheets, in booklet form with more diagrams.

I had a 1969 model which would be pretty much the same as your 1968, and the jibsheets ran through blocks that were mounted on the inside of the cockpit edge and the sheets ran to a pair of camcleats on the top of the CB trunk. I've included a picture of my boat below describing the jibsheet leads. The diagram shows the jib sheet rigging on a later model with a deck, but the earlier models like yours and mine were the same as far as jibsheets. The diagram also shows the later set up where the jibsheets were cleated on the gunwales, I prefer the older version since it is easier to use and the sail sets better.

The loose-footed sail is set up by adjusting the outhaul to have about 6" or so slack with the sail raised. Kind of hard to explain.....easy to show, hard to put in words! I included a picture of a Widgeon under sail w/spinnaker, I think it will give you a clue about the proper outhaul setting. In stronger winds, tighten the outhaul to flatten the sail more.
Sunbird,
I would like one of your booklets for my '71 Widgeon restoration project. Please advise ordering procedure. Thanks, MG1950

Nov 29, 2009
Oday Widgeon Brewster, MA
Sunbird: Give me your email so I can order widgeon rigging manual

Please give me link or address so I can order. Thanks. Rob

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The boat that shows a rough sketch of the jibsheet route is my old 1969 WIDGEON.

Status
Not open for further replies.