Widgeon Hull Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2012
Oday Widgeon Cashiers NC
I have recently completed a complete restoration of a 1967 Widgeon. There is no HIN plate but there is a number stamped into the starboard side near the bow. The number is 9475 and the sail number is 86. I can't find anything on the web that helps me decipher what the hull number means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
O'Day would normally put a plate near the transom with two numbers.

My '71 O23 has class number (sail number) of 115 and hull number 24,928. It was the 115th 23 that O'Day made and the 24,928th O'Day hull of any kind.

Hull number 24928 by ruidh, on Flickr

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The 12-digit HIN was not required until 1972 (November 1, 1972, so really 1973 and later models). I'm not sure what that number is that is molded into the bow, 9475 is too low to be the O'DAY Hull# and too high to be the Widgeon Class# if this boat is a 1967 model. My old 1969 Widgeon was Hull# 22698 and Class# 1791. On the Widgeon the plate mentioned by ruidh was mounted to the aft side of the bow seat/flotation tank, it sounds like yours is missing? (Mine was falling off when I bought my boat, I reattached it with pop-rivets)

I think that your boat is a lot older than 1967, I'd say more like 1963. I base that on the way that you have a single horn-cleat on hte CB trunk for the Jibsheets instead of the later set of 2 cam-cleats and the way the mainsheet block is attached to the CB trunk. Later boats also had a fiberglass "cap" over the top of the CB trunk with molde-in spots for the mainsheet block and the jibsheet camcleats. So, it may be that your boat is a 1963 model (first year for the Widgeon!) and that the Hull# is 9475 and Class# is 86 (9475th O'DAY built and 86th Widgeon) WOW!! She looks pretty sharp for a boat of the vintage!

One tip, the jibsheets will work better if you run then inside the shrouds, that was how they were rigged originally with the bullseye fairleads mounted to the inside of the deck edge.

I've added a couple of pics of my little gem, and a page from the 1966 manual. The picture showing hte sail# (Class#) was after I bought a new sail.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.