Widgeon Centerboard stickin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2006
NULL NULL Massachusetts
Hi All! Back in mid-May I posted about problems with my Widgeon's centerboard sticking in the up position. I received some great suggestions and encouragement from members. As a result of the posts, I ordered up a new bolt setup and ropes from D&R. Today I finally had the time to get the boat off the trailer and pull the CB. I'm attaching a picture of the top of the CB. You can clearly see the scoring at the top left of the CB, as well as to the right of my little tape label, and directly below it on the other edge of the CB. I don't know if there is enough scoring there to cause the sticking, but I will be sanding and beveling the top edge, and also sand down the top of the board. When I pulled it out of the trunk, I was surprised to find that there was no bushing, and the CB was just riding on the bolt. I've also looked in the CB trunk, and everything in there looks OK and pretty smooth. So I don't think there was anything stuck in there that would have retarded movement. I also discovered a lovely crack on the bottom of the boat, although it isn't too deep and looks mostly like a crack in the gelcoat. But I've decided to do a patch on it. As long as I'm at that point, I'm going to sand the bottom down and repaint it, as the whole bottom is that lovely pea green color you can see on the CB. If anyone has any other thoughts on other things I should do while the CB is out, please feel free to weigh in. Thanks again to all of the original posters for their advice and encouragement to tackle this project. Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.