Widening the cuddy access on '74 Javelin?

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
My 74 Javelin has plenty of issues, probably most more important than this, but: the floor in the cuddy is rotten and I would like to fix it. Fixing that is going to be a bear with the tiny access hole. In addition, just getting literally anything in and out of the cuddy - even so much as a life jacket - is a PITA with that tiny access hole.

I was thinking I could cut it about twice as wide as it is and make my own custom cuddy door - or just leave it open as with the older Javelins. Is there any risk in cutting a bigger access hole to the cuddy on this boat? Structural integrity of the deck? Taking on water in a capsize? Anybody tried it?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
So you want to go from the small access door on the left to an open access on the right? If you do open it up suggest adding some reinforcement attached with proper attachment adhesive and fasteners. You could fabricate a removeable teak, acrylic or fiberboard door panel to keep it dry from rainwater and waves and mitigate water entry into it in the event you capsize.
1627406888949.png

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I just looked at the two versions. That is a small door.
One difference between the boats is that the seats of your attach to that bulkhead. But I'm guessing the boat hulls came out of the same molds and have similar layups. The small cuddy probably was a marketing addition. It is nice to have a place to stow stuff.
If you want to replace the floor of that cuddy you're probably into serious surgery anyway. So maybe better to think of what comes next and break out the saws all.

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
Thanks, the left photo vs right photo is pretty much what I had in mind. I don’t think I’d go so wide - 50% or 75% wider would be a huge improvement. But excellent points about how to do it right.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
The shape of the hulls look very different . If it were my project . I'd cut the opening and reinforce it from the inside .Make the floor sections easily removable .

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The shape of the hulls look very different . If it were my project . I'd cut the opening and reinforce it from the inside .Make the floor sections easily removable .
The Hulls of all Javelins were exactly the same, necessary for Class Racing.
Deck was changed for the 1971 and later models, reason was to make the boat "Self-Rescuing", that is able to be righted after an unlikely capsize by the crew without outside assistance. The newer model with the molded-in seats and small opening to the cuddy has a much greater volume of air trapped inside which helps her to float higher on her side if capsized, this means less water gets into the boat and with a self-bailer for the cockpit along with a 1" drain-plug outlet through the transom will allow any water that gets into the cockpit to quickly drain out after righting. that is the published reasons for the deck change, but they never mentioned that it also simplified construction and most likely made the boat less labor-intensive to build, in other words, less $$$. This new deck design meant that they no longer needed to finish off the inside of the hull (smooth and paint or gelcoat) as the inside of the hull was no longer visible (except the part under the foredeck.

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
Thanks for that explanation. As I'm still a a fairly green sailor and this boat is not in the greatest shape to begin with, I think I'll leave the cuddy opening alone and enjoy the benefits of that extra trapped air!

I had her out this spring in stronger winds than I had any business messing with, and I can attest that she was extremely easy to right, even with no cuddy door, and not a drop of water made it into the cuddy, even though the tip of the mast went 9 feet under.