Wid Scoop Recomendations?

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
We purchased our Newport 30" three months ago and have been enjoying it. We have notice that we do get a good breeze entering our hatch when it is angled upward on a slant. We have also noticed a few boats anchored around us that have wind scoops over their hatches.

Q1: Do wind scoops funnel allot more air into the cabin than the hatch itself being open?
Q2: Can they be taken down quickly if we get a rain shower?
Q3: Any recommendations on which brand/model is the best?
(most of the ones I have seen are short and seem to bend over and attach to the foresail.)

Thank You

Jun 5, 2014
Sorry the title was suppose to say Wind Scoop recommendations

Jan 15, 2011
Newport 30MKII Bayview ID
Which hatch are you referring to...the foredeck hatch or the one directly behind the mast? Hatch up versus scoop...I found it makes no never mind...both work. If if rains,it's faster to just close the hatch. Do you have some keepers on the side to hold the hatch open, or do you do like I do and just have a little stick from the underside of the hatch to the deck?

Jun 5, 2014
Which hatch are you referring to...the foredeck hatch or the one directly behind the mast? Hatch up versus scoop...I found it makes no never mind...both work. If if rains,it's faster to just close the hatch. Do you have some keepers on the side to hold the hatch open, or do you do like I do and just have a little stick from the underside of the hatch to the deck?

I have seen other boats with wind scoops attached to the foredeck hatch. They look like a small tent held up by the jib line and funnel air into the hatch and down into the boat. I currently just have a stick to prop the forward hatch open. The hatch behind the mast has a mechanism to hold the hatch open. I was just curious if the wind scoops I have seen really work or not and if so which ones are the best?

Thanks