Why'd you buy a Pearson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
- - Horton Bay, MI
Everyone has a story... what's yours? Why a Pearson, of all the boats out there? For me, it was stability and livability... 30 and 1/4 feet, 11.5 beam... hippy, but stable. My sweet spot is about 15 knots - nothing like our last boat ( a h-26 which I loved, but was a bit tender for my crew... and a lot more work in gusts!). I've been out (once) in 50+ knots (just a tad of Jib up) to get her to a marina during a storm and it may have been my best sail all season. Nothing like plowing through 5' lake waves and not worrying about much. ;) Okay, you ocean guys might grin, but come to a rough lake and 5' and short frequency it can be pretty dang scary... We love the space, the style and the general "look" (classic lines)... and she sails like a tug boat, which is what we need... (my crew, Bless 'em, don't like to heel too much! :) ) So, why'd you buy your Pearson? Tell us about it... everyone loves a good story! :) Dave Crowley s/v Wind Dreamer II P303

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
No tug boat

The P-34 is no tug boat. I like her because she sails well, will move right along. A lot of these have been club racers. I was attracted by getting a good turn of speed and the legendary Pearson brick s___house construction. Being a mid eighties boat, there is good headroom below, decent beam w/o being a real tub. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she sure can dance.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
What he said

I have a P-32, and agree with everything Shorty said. I would also add that for the amount of boat you get, the prices are generally very reasonable. One reason for this, I think, is the relatively simple and easy to maintain systems, which is just what I want on an older boat.

May 11, 2004
Pearson 303 Lake Charlevoix
Didn't mean to offend with the 'tug' comment

Our 303 IS a tug... but I like it that way. ;) Dave

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
No offense taken

I was mostly surprised by the comment (tug), because my P-34 moves right along. Also second on Sandy's comment. When looking, my budget was 50 - 100K & I bought @ 50 which was good because, just like the rest of you, I proceeded to spend an irrational amount on upgrades, improvements, and other absolutely, cannot sail safely without, stuff. Comparable Sabres & Tartans were +20-40K.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
Why I bought a peason

Ive owned 2 pearsons over the last 25 years a 10 M and my current boat A p26w Pearsons have stood the test of time. They sail well and they are bullet proof Ive sailed on dozens of other makes lots are OK but in my opinion they just do not measure up to the venerable pearsons. If I could buy a brand new P26 today I would do It in a heartbeat. But I cant they just dont make them like that anymore. Ive completely restored MY 1975 26w to like new condition and Im sure it will still be sailing long after Im done.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Maine...

No story... Looked through Yacht World for about 2 years... as well as over 50 boats. It was quite frankly the most boat for the buck. I am from the Black Sheep side of the family... not cut from the same cloth as most yachters. Beer budget. First choice would have been a Sabre. Lobster buoys... lobster buoys... lobster buoys... and built like a tank. Went for the P303's modified keel... to shed the traps. Yanmar FWC engine. In mast furler (probably one in a kind... and over-kill). 6'+ headroom. Wide beam. Short draft. Modest price. Roomy. Quality built. Not the prettiest girl on the block... but a great coastal cruiser. Only drawback... a lot of windage.

G

Gail

Why a Pearson?

We've owned two -- first a P26, and after a bout of four-foot-itis, now we have a Pearson 30. We were looking for value for the buck (we're of limited means) and something that would give reasonable performance. You have that in the "two-digit" Pearson models like the 26, 30, 32, and 34 -- none of those are tugs! The 303 and the 323 were built less for racing and more for cruising with their low angle of heel and more commodious configurations. You give up performance for amenities, and as long as that's what you want, it works. We've done pretty decent racing the P30 here in Maine. Years ago, a sistership was quite competitive on the race course. We also cruise her for a couple weeks in the summertime. Not sure what the next boat will be. We're a little leary of the cored hull on the 34, and are not enamoured with the cabin-top mainsheet. Otherwise, we like the 34 a lot. We'll see.

Dec 26, 2007
- - Old Saybrook, CT
Did it twice

Had a Pearson 26 for 12 years and would have kept it except the kids got too big to cruise without "issues" (teenage girls). Bought a 303 and have had it for 9 years. The girls are now in college and working on weekends, so I'm thinking about another 26--my crew is usually my wife and our 9 year old golden retriever who has some "issues" of his own with the companionway ladder in the 303. I do almost all my own work and on 2 boats with a combinded age older than me that is a lot of systems to rebuild. The nice thing about Pearsons is you feel like all the time and effort is worth it--they are built well in the first place and the things that wear out can be fixed without tearing the boat completley apart (ususally). Both of my decisions were based on a cost/quality analysis and Pearson is the sweet spot on that continuim for me. Not to metion they look good, sail good and are fairly well respected on the waterfront. Sure I would like a Hinckley, but as Practical Sailor ssid in its review of the 303 "What's not to like?" It's the same ocean, either way. First post for me, looks like a good site. Glad to see some new 303 owners out there, you won't be sorry. I have done the hoses, head, water and holding tanks, added additional water under the v berth, ports, cabin sole, exhaust elbow, cutlass bearing, hot water tank, etc. so maybe I can help out. Don't worry, the boat would still sail without doing all this work, but it is nice to have things the way you want them. Here is a link to my boat. Would consider a P 26 in southern New England in partial trade. Best , Bob

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
P-34 cored hull

Gail - when looking for a boat, one my no-no's was a cored hull & I ended up buying it anyway because it is such a solidly built boat. A cored hull in a Catalina or Hunter would probably be the kiss of death. I guess only time will tell. Midboom mainsheet cannot be reached from the helm but keeps the cockpit clear. Autopilot is a necessity for singlehanding.

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
P-34 cored hull

Gail - when looking for a boat, one my no-no's was a cored hull & I ended up buying it anyway because it is such a solidly built boat. A cored hull in a Catalina or Hunter would probably be the kiss of death. I guess only time will tell. Midboom mainsheet cannot be reached from the helm but keeps the cockpit clear. Autopilot is a necessity for singlehanding.

G

Gail

It's all a tradeoff

We have not completely eliminated a cored-hull boat, just a little hesitant. In fact, there's a certain P-34 in our area that we'd snatch right up if the price was right. On the mainsheet, yeah it's all a tradeoff. My other half learned to sail on an Ericson 33 with a bridge-deck mainsheet and that's the configuration he likes. You get ease of trimming, but the tradeoff is that the dodger can only come back so far before interfering with the mainsheet.

G

Gail

It's all a tradeoff

We have not completely eliminated a cored-hull boat, just a little hesitant. In fact, there's a certain P-34 in our area that we'd snatch right up if the price was right. On the mainsheet, yeah it's all a tradeoff. My other half learned to sail on an Ericson 33 with a bridge-deck mainsheet and that's the configuration he likes. You get ease of trimming, but the tradeoff is that the dodger can only come back so far before interfering with the mainsheet.

C

Cappep

1st Pearson

I am considering the purchase of a 303 and have heard lots of good things. How about some of the items that could be better or I need to watch for? Would a boat built in 1983 be better than a boat built in 1985? Appreciate any feedback. Cappep

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
1st Pearson

Cappep, Pick whichever of the two boats are in best condition. There were no differances in the boats when they were new. Pearson used the same laminates from W.R. Grace throughout the 70's to the 90,s. Others experimented in the 80's with lighter laminates with bad results and most returned to the Grace products. Dave

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
They didn't have...

many changes through the production years. The earlier ones had more fiberglass in the interior... the later ones had more teak, more teak/holly floor... chart table. Find the one that looks the best... and go for it. Great coastal and weekend cruiser. It is not a blue water boat. $25,000-$30,000 would be a ball park price in "good" condition depending on the year. My P303 was in great condition when purchased... so I couldn't tell you where to look for problems. Good Luck, Rich

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Grace Products

Cappep, What I ment by Grace products was that the glass mat (laminants), epoxy rein, hardners, curing agents, etc. were produced by W.R. Grace Corp. They were prety much the leader of fiberglass products at the time. Other boat manufacturers tried other products to reduce weight and cost with various success. Pearson only changed chemistry after extensive study and trials. Somewhere in my notes I have the name of the company that made the gel coating. At the time I thought it might be important for future repairs. Now, with new developments of fiberglass products, it no longer makes any differance as to the glass or gel coat manufacturer to do repairs. The point I was making is that Pearson developed a manufacturing method and suppliers that worked well and stayed with it. Dave s/v ARIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.