Why the Rush?

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Why do I rush? Well, it’s partly my basic nature which I try to overcome but there is also my intuition which constantly surprises me. After a few days, post Boston, coming up with reason after reason why we should press on, we decided that we could slow down and visit people in southern New England. The passages that could turn into long slogs were behind us and we were ahead of schedule. We were just a couple hours out of Milford, CT where Dreameagle has family and we were looking forward to Friday pizza. As we droned along the sound, I decided it was time to check the situation with the usual September East River closures for the UN General Assembly.

Yikes! The river would be essentially shut down beginning Monday until October. With shore commitments and the Chesapeake Bay schooner race, I need to be in the bay early in October. Door number two would be to make the New Jersey and Delaware Bay runs late in the month which I think I’m just getting too old and to enjoy in the new normal weather patterns. So, we sent off a message of regret and pressed on to Northport turning a leisurely run into a 62 nm day. A 74 nm run the next brought us through New York City here to Croton where this voyage ends as Dreameagle gets off. I begin preparing to take the boat south as soon as I collect my southern charts and some other things from the cottage. Formite Ronrelyea will be joining me for the run around New Jersey and Dreameagle will rejoin me somewhere to be determined in the Chesapeake.

It was a delivery style run down from Boston, seven days to Croton, but we had some nice sails and shore visits. We spent a day and night in Woods Hole, a town that was the pivot point for the first half of my adult life. We then went on to Cuttyhunk after a run along the always beautiful Elizabeth Islands. We stopped in Mystic where we had dinner with one of Dreameagle’s oldest friends and I did some business. Then, on to Milford, we thought.

During this little jaunt, Strider has run 1487 nm under her keel over 59 days. I’m not sure which of the innumerable cruises I’ve taken in this life I would call the best but I would have a hard time arguing that this wasn’t the one.