Why Oceanis boats cost so much more than Sun Ods?

Sep 8, 2020
Beneteau 45 Newport
Everyone - new to the Forum. Studying right now for ASA 101. Looking into the future, I hope to start my Around the World journey in 2023 (my 60th). I love looking at all boats, but continue to be drawing to Beneteaus. So why is the Oceanis Line so much more expensive than others? Thank you and I will be looking forward to ANY/ALL advise. Be Safe

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
What's the budget? Me, coming up on 60, I prefer a pilothouse or mostly enclosed cockpit, like a Super Maru, or Halsey, but they are for sure pricey, your budget will define you, and like you said, age.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Welcome to the forum! Are you looking at buying new or used? What size of boat are you considering? Is it just you or with a partner, family, crew?
You asked specifically about Oceanis and Sun Odyssey. One difference between these boats is the Sun Odysseys are commonly used as charter boats and get used pretty hard for the first several years of their lives which can drop the value. A lot of these boats still have a lot of life left in them so can be a good deal. A friend bought a First 40 from a charter fleet in Turkey because it was such a great deal. I think it was just an excuse to sail across the Med and the Atlantic ;)
Used boat prices do somewhat reflect the initial cost but often are more driven by level of maintenance. Honestly, I just had a quick look at YachtWorld and I don't see a huge price difference between these lines, but maybe you are looking at specific models.

3 years is a pretty steep curve to get ready for a round the world cruise, but is certainly doable if your are determined and focused. Getting a boat ready for extended offshore cruising is a lot of work and so is getting to know the boat. There was a family near here years ago that decided to set off and sail around the world. The father knew a bit about sailing but was not an experienced sailor, the rest of the family knew very little at first. They bought a small boat (around 22 feet), sailed that for a couple of years, then bought a 40 foot steel boat, fixed it up for a year then set off. They had fantastic adventures and made it back safe and sound.
If you are new to sailing, think about getting a smaller boat to get your feet wet. Something you can sleep on, learn to sail, dock, navigate. Then trade up in a couple years, spend a year or so setting up the bigger boat, getting to know it, before you set off.

Sep 8, 2020
Beneteau 45 Newport
Hey Dave & Darcy. Really appreciate the help. Great Info. OK - I join Sail Time in Newport Beach to learn from professionals, but also, with membership, I get to sail Beneteaus of different sizes with my instructor. Going the "USED" route of course. By myself, so I'm thinking nothing more than 45', that is why I continue to look at the BO45.1. Darcy - I believe you and will not take this journey lightly. I continue to read and watch many different videos, especially mechanical ones, as I am not mechanically inclined at the moment. I am starting mechanics school in Jan/2021 to better prepare myself for "NON-FUN" stuff that happens out on the ocean. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Not all "mechanical" endeavors are "NON-FUN" but I'm mechanically inclined.

As far as boat size goes. Buying small and moving up later, can get expensive. After 4 boats I know. Next time I buy a boat I won't be fooling around. I'm also thinking an Beneteau or a Sun O in the 40+ range.

Good luck.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Look at Bavaria's. I think the build quality is good, but all the fittings are of higher quality and more for the money.

Sep 8, 2020
Beneteau 45 Newport
Syclone & Nightowle - Thank you both for you opinions. Bavaria's sure are pricey as well, BUT please note - I am only looking at the moment. Not planning on buying for another 3 years, but I am one of those that will do as much research as possible. Looking forward to reading more advice from experienced sailors. Happy Hump Day!

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Just my 2 cents.
If you compare the Sun Odyssy 349 base price $125K (Single wheel, Single rudder, Smaller engine) to the Oceanis 35.1 base price $150k (Dual wheel, Dual Rudder, Larger engine) Both have a hull length of 32'-9". Both are owned by the same company I believe.
They are not that far apart in price based on features offered.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am starting mechanics school in Jan/2021 to better prepare myself for "NON-FUN" stuff that happens out on the ocean. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
There have been tons of "diesel class" topics on various boating forums. In all of therm, I suggest that the ONLY diesel engine you need to learn about is the ONE that is in YOUR boat. Since you don't have one yet, you could do that but at what cost?
Here's one: Diesel 101? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Folks learn differently, but I'm sure a good book, like Nigel Calder's bible (Boat owners Manual for Mech & Elec) or his diesel manual, would give you a basic How It Works and perhaps show you differences between different manufacturers. But they all operate on the same principles. YouTube is helpful if you like YT. Just trying to save you some $$ on stuff you may not need.
After you buy your boat, then decide if you still think you need a course for YOUR engine in YOUR boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I hope to start my Around the World journey in 2023 (my 60th). I love looking at all boats, but continue to be drawing to Beneteaus.
I suggest you start reading Cruisers Forum, like now. :) You will learn an awful lot of helpful information about true blue water boats.

Sep 8, 2020
Beneteau 45 Newport
To Stu and Joker. GREAT IINFO! Thank you you very much. Stu - Great Call on "My Engine" and already reading Cruisers Forum as well.
Joker - Thank you for the break down. Will definitely look closer as I move along.