Why is my C22 so slow??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry

I would love to compete in our fleet races but my C22 simply cannot keep up with other boats. And I'm not talking a few boat lengths behind, I'm talking finishing the race 30 minutes behind the others. Especially in light air does my boat seem to really lag. I have an '89 C22 with a new main and the original 150 furling gennie (in fair shape). My sail trim is as good as I can get it (telltales flying straight aft, etc). Has anyone else experienced this frustration? What are some possible reasonable solutions? Could it simply be a "slow boat"? I don't necessarily need to win the race, but I just want to keep up. Thank you in advance, Henry

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Thoughts on Slow Going

I'm no expert, but the following stuff comes to mind: Dirty/fouled bottom Too much stuff aboard/too heavy Weight placement (crew) on boat (too far forward/aft) You mentioned a new Main, older Genoa, are you possibly carrying to much sail for the conditions? Is the boat healed a lot? Flatter is faster (generally), although now that I read your post, you say you have particular problems in light air - you might be over trimming things - when in doubt, let it out - give the sails a little more shape/power in light conditions and try to get your speed up. Might be trying to pinch too high for the conditions - try heading off just a bit to build speed. If you bought the new main from a local loft, you might be able to have one of their folks sail with you and check your setup. What are the other boats doing different from you? Do they carry similar sails (i.e. 150%)? Are you the only one with a furler? If so, you might be entitled to some rating adjustment as the furler will be slower than the non-furling. Do you have more problem downwind than upwind? Are other boats using a whisker-pole to fly wing and wing? Hope these thoughts help some. Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

Jun 2, 2004
- - Pennsylvania lake
Next sailing season

Start at the bottom. Bottom and keel must be in good condition, fresh water use VC-17.

J

Just kidding.. good luck

did u forget to haul in the anchor??

hope u find the problem.. let us know for others

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Some additional thoughts

Henry: I agree with what Tim and Watercolors wrote. The smoothness of the bottom and the keel are important. I would think that weight of your boat and it's contents would be important too, but our boat is usually very loaded and it still sails OK. Let me ask a few questions. What year is your C-22, and what keel does it have? When we sail on our summer cruise there are usually several other C-22s. I believe that there must be a difference between the ones before and after 1986, (or whenever the change was made that moved the galley from under the starboard cockpit seat to beneath the mast). The '86 and newer ones feel more solid to me, but that could make them heavier. Also, I'm rather sure that the winged keel doesn't point as well as the swing keel. I don't think that I have sailed with any of the fin keel C-22s, so I don't know how they compare to the swing keel boats, but I think they would be similar, or a little faster. My family is thinking about getting a second C-22, and it will be important to us to get the second one similar to the one that we already have, so that we can sail them together without one running away from the other one. I have heard stories that sailors who are serious about racing will try out (buy and sell) several C-22s until they find a fast one, then keep that one for racing. We don't really race our C-22, but when we go on our summer cruise, and there are a bunch of C-22s together, you know how it is. Anyhow, we usually work our way up toward the front. Aldo

R

Ray Bowles

Rigging for speed.

Henry, I have only owned my 78 C22 swing keel for 3 months but I usually sail 5 to 6 days a week and have raced her 4 times now with results in the upper third of the field. I use my 150 genny and the standard main and both are fairly used up. My most important items for speed are, in order, clean bottom, tight rigging, and sail shape and car placement. I launch and recover my boat from the trailer every day so the bottom is clean without any special paint or prep. I inspect and adjust my standing rigging at least once a month. This includes maintaining mast bend, rake and shroud tension and I think this is the most inportant item of all. Once a year is good for most people but I really like speed and this is so easy to maintain that it should be done. Lastly sail shape is everything! The placement of the traveler and genny tract cars should be adjusted for every leg of the race and with every tack and jibe. I know of some excellent articles and books on these items if you're interested. This is the most fun boat I've owned and we've had boats up to 38 foot. Good luck, Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.