Why I Dislike Like External Strainers

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Over the years I have really grown to distrust and dislike external intake strainers of either the scoop type or the non directional round type. The real danger in these devices comes when you have a blockage and can't get to the crud to clean it. They often require a dive over the side with a coat hanger but that does not always work.

In areas with high barnacle or muscle growth these creatures know no bounds and often take up residence in the "no mans land" hiding behind the screen. After spending nearly three hours one day, in really, really cold water, even with a wet suit, trying to get eel grass out of one, I vowed to never, ever have one again. Any time you dive in your risk goes up.

To ream out an intake from inside some good pre-planning can make this a dry and easy task. It can be done in under three minutes if done right. All you need is an intake hose that can be held up higher than the static waterline and a snake. Close seacock, remove hose from strainer, hold hose above water-line, open seacock and ream out with your snake, done!

The harsh reality of external strainers is that they can become can be a safety hazard, if they have not already. I find when intakes are plumbed properly there is little to no need for one, and there better straining options. You can far more safely ream out your intake from INSIDE the vessel if you don't have an external strainer and this can be a huge safety margin when you don't have to physically get into the water. In just one season here in Maine I was in the water three times with a coat hanger...:cussing:

If you're concerned about clogs, and not noticing them, you can insert a flow detector alarm on the intake hose or just pay close attention to your exhaust note. When it starts to sound a little hollow you'll know you have some flow issues.

Some reasons why I don't like them, some operator error, and some strainer error.....

Beyond these photos many boat yards, some builders:doh:, and DIY's install the scoops style strainers BACKWARDS on sailboats. Many a sailor have actually caused their engines to become hydrolocked and dealt with water in the cylinders because of the improper installation of a scoop style strainer. If a scoop strainer faces forward you risk physically scooping sea water up and over the siphon break then filling the exhaust and eventually the cylinders of your engine with sea water. This is not healthy for the engine or your own piece of mind.

This strainer, like many out there, is another potentially expensive mishap waiting to happen. All it takes is some rough weather and a good surf down a wave to fill your engine with salt water. Facing them backwards is better but can also add unnecessary vacuum on the raw water pump. Sailboats should ideally have round, non-directional strainers, not scoops, or my favorite, none at all.

If you feel you absolutely must use one please make sure it can be opened. This one is made by Groco and Hamilton Marine stocks them.

If it can not be opened they can be applied to the hull with a marine sealant so that in a emergency they can be poked off with a dowel from inside the boat. I prefer a fiberglass tent pole.. While you do lose the strainer you don't risk life and limb jumping in the water to free a clog in a remote or potentially rough location.

Sailboat intended strainers are round, non-directional, and have small holes. Scoop strainers are ideally intended for power boats.

External strainers are absolutely not clog proof or growth proof. If they can't opened it may be next to impossible to clear without removal of the external strainer screen. The worst of the external strainers are where the strainer is actually integral to the thru-hull fitting, and can't be opened, or even removed, without physically cutting it apart......:doh:

A mid season haul out, at a cost of $460.00, to deal with an external strainer clog = OUCH!!!!:doh:

A raw water intake that can be un-clogged from INSIDE the vessel = PRICELESS

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Re: Why I Don't Like External Strainers

I feel that this is an area where maintenance is critical. My boat was delivered new with no external strainers on the main engine intake or generator raw water intake. On my first weekend aboard in early May I found myself in the water clearing eel grass from the generator inlet not once but twice, then replacing the raw water pump impellor after the generator shut down for over temp. The following week I had her short hauled and placed rear facing scoop strainers on both inlets. No problems since. Each spring I clean the stainers and spray anti-fouling paint inside. They are easily removable for inspection and cleaning. I do like that opening one Maine Sail identified. However, I believe in strainers but they must be maintained, as can be seen in Maine Sail's post of a series of strainers which have obviously not been maintained.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River

Wow, I can't believe someone would come up with such a stupid idea in the first place, let alone applying that much paint as to block the hole/slots!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
Ill have some crusty sourdough bread & butter with mine

Thanks for bringing that problem out into the light of day. I think most of us are the..." Out of sight, Out of mind" types and would never think to look until it was too late. Are those critters edible ? They're making me crave the "Mussel Curry Stew" at Fog City Diner.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater

Adding to my list of to - do's for my C-27 after seeing this.... We have just been informed of Zebra Mussel infestation at our local fresh-water lake, and I have the factory-installed scoop that sure looks like a great place of refuge for the darned things. Looks like I might be going to go get another flanged seacock and a mushroom thru-hull...

This brings to mind a question. I am one who will try to make it a religious habit of closing all seacocks when leaving the boat. The existing raw-water intake is rather difficult to get to. Is there any reason for me not to consider re-plumbing the raw water intake to a point on the boat that is more easily accessed? To do so would be adding roughly 6 feet of raw water supply hose. What are the downsides? I sure see it would be real convenient to have it near the seacock for the head's sink drain...

Sep 28, 2011
Hunter 28 Hamilton
Re: Strainers

Well to start with.... lets ignore those idiots who cannot even bother to clean the paint out of the intake holes they have painted over..... and those that put the strainer on with the inlet facing forward. Then we are getting down to the nitty gritty.

To be honest I have only seen about four dirty ones with weeds hanging out. I for one think they are the saving grace for a sailboater like myself who sails the Great Lakes and goes into Marina's that have quite a few weeds around that obviously require the use of ones brain not to use gobs of throttle that suck the weeds in.

I have a Hunter 28 which has a very exposed intake which requires removing the aft cabin bedding and floor in the semi dark enclosure. Cleaning out the internal strainer is fine but to undo the clamps of the inlet tubing of the inlet valve if you are adrift after discovering the lack of water ...is no joy. With screwdrivers rolling about under the floor boards it becomes a game of hide and seek and then to be rewarded with a jet of water in your face when you eventually poke the weeds clear does not endear you to the Hunter boat designer . That was it ....the next haul out I installed a bronze rear facing inlet stuck on with 5400 so in emergency I could remove it with a poke from the inside.

Three years have passed since I installed it UNPAINTED and I have yet to see a Zebra muscle nor have I had any weeds enter the system and any one going through the weed fields either end of the Murray canal or Trenton marina knows that is a good test.

So do I support a good rear facing strainer.....YOU CAN BET ON IT.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
in response to the photos...

nature will take its course, and we cant do anything about that except find a way to make our job easier when nature gets in our way, and we have to remedy it.

BUT.... the number of photos that show operator error out number the ones that show nature as being the problem.

just another lessen to be remembered.... people, in their careless and ignorant ways, commonly cause more and greater problems than what nature causes us..... in almost all things we do, and even those things we dont do while knowing we should.

in my opinion, what is more important than either having a strainer/screen or not having a one, is having the intake thruhull located in an area that is easy to get to and work on from INSIDE the boat, in case it needs rodded out.
and I am a proponent of having a fairly coarse strainer exterior and a screen strainer basket inside where its easy to access.

Feb 6, 1998
BUT.... the number of photos that show operator error out number the ones that show nature as being the problem.
I count 2 in operator error (paint) 1 in error for wrong orientation and 13 caused by nature....;)

Course if we really want get picky sailboats use non-directional strainers, usually round with holes, not directional strainers whether backwards or forwards........

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I count 2 in operator error (paint) 1 in error for wrong orientation and 13 caused by nature....;)

Course if we really want get picky sailboats use non-directional strainers, usually round with holes, not directional strainers whether backwards or forwards........
well, upon closer inspection it would appear, technically, that you are correct... but it cant be denied that most of the photos show a lot of the open area of the strainers have been reduced due to carelessly applied paint, which can hasten further restriction.

and, in the spirit of the post title, the fact that the strainers are there at all, may be considered by some as a mistake made by us humans:D:D

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not a problem down here, we clean the bottom of the boat every 3 to 4 weeks and that will include the cleaning of the clamshell. We do not clean with this frequency because we like to but we do it because we have to and maintaining the clamshell clean is sort of a byproduct.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
To ream out an intake from inside some good pre-planning can make this a dry and easy task. It can be done in under three minutes if done right. All you need is an intake hose that can be held up higher than the static waterline and a snake. Close seacock, remove hose from strainer, hold hose above water-line, open seacock and ream out with your snake, done!

A raw water intake that can be un-clogged from INSIDE the vessel = PRICELESS

In retrospect that is face palmingly obvious. In practice, even though I am well aware of the physics involved, I would have never thought of that.

Thanks!

Feb 6, 1998
In retrospect that is face palmingly obvious. In practice, even though I am well aware of the physics involved, I would have never thought of that.

Thanks!
50F water, some eel grass , a coat hanger for 20+ dives in very, very strong current is the mother of invention....;) Have not and will not use an external strainer since that event. I can ream it out, from inside, faster than I can get in the water....

HopCar

Jul 20, 2017
Ellis 28 Miami
I like the idea of attaching the external strainer with sealant. To take that idea one step further, how about removing the pin from the Groco opening strainer and holding it closed with sealant or a shear pin. That way you don't lose the strainer if you need to beat it open from the inside. Mount it with the hinge on the forward side so water flow wants to close it after it's cleared. I wonder what would happen if you held it closed with Velcro?