WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE LONGER.....

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I went down to the boat to do a few scheduled jobs. Easy ones: Caulk the windows, remove and replace the raw water pump and check a cockpit support beam for measurements for replacing it.

Well I started with the raw water pump, which on the M-20 works off the cam. Looking at it, it's a simple job. 1. Remove the hoses, 2. remove the elbows to get direct access to the two bolts with a ratchet, 3. remove the bolts.

Well it wasn't to be. The powers to be had other plans. Number 1 and 2, no problemo! But #3, gosh darn it, the first one snapped right off. The second bolt was no problem. But then to remove the spacer plate to get the frozen bolt stem out, was so rusted and dirty, it took me an hour to clear enough away from one recessed stud and nut area, to get it off.

So I packed up my stuff after getting the spacer off and headed home. In my workshop I got it all cleaned and sorted, ready to take back down. Just waiting for the paint to dry.

Comes to think of it, I never did the other two items I had intended.

Aug 11, 2011
That is four words!
Back down to the boat tomorrow to replace the pump. Going to set up and start the motor now that its getting warmer. See if I can get some of the other punch list items done too. Great day to isolate myself from the general population and do my part to curb the spread of this coronavirus.

Aug 11, 2011
We are back up and running with a new Oberdorfer raw water pump. All my hard work paid off. The design of having a spacer plate to attach the pump to was a great idea as trying to get a broken bolt out of the block would have been a lot harder. I have basic tools on the boat, however at home in my work shop I am able to do a lot more as in repairs. All systems working well so far.