Why do I need a Blower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art

I have more information on my blower question I posted last week. I looked closer at my blower and it's a Detmar blower. It's working, but sounds like bearings are shot. Again blower vents area beneath my bathroom sink. I can't tell if it tees into the motor area to vent it too. I've asked three other sailors at my marina with diesel engines and none have a blower. One Catalina 36 MKII has a switch for a blower, but no blower. One person thought the blower's purpose might be to vent off some heat from the engine. I'm thinking of disconnecting the wiring from the blower. The way it's wired now is the blower is running all the time the engine key switch is on. Maybe this is why the blower bearings are worn out? Why do I need a blower?

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
Blower Use on diesel engine

We have a blower on our Cat-38. It is mounted in the stern lazerette with a clamshell vent on the stern combing and an intake hose that reaches down into the engine compartment. I thought it was superfluous until I was motoring for a long period one day and the cabin filled with the smell of hot motor. There was no exhaust, just hot motor. We now run the blower whenever we are motoring. It provides enough airflow from the engine compartment to completely eliminate any engine odor from the cabin spaces.

B

Big Joe

Blow me down

Cat38 is right. The blower helps transfer air in the engine room. This is usefull on long runs under power. Regards, Big Joe

R

Ralph

Blower

Even though a blower may not be necessary for diesel fumes, if you have a propane stove or BBQ, it might still be a good idea to run the blower before starting your motor. Ralph Catalina 350

Status
Not open for further replies.