Why did you buy your S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
I bought my S2 9.2C because I liked the layout. Many years ago (approx. 20 or so) I saw the 9.2C for the first time and thought it had more room for a boat that size than any other that I had seen before and since. I also liked the bathtub! I had wanted this boat since and finally found one for sale that I could afford. I also liked the reviews that the S2 got. Every time I went to the Annapolis boat show I compared what I saw in the 30 to 35 foot range with the 9.2C. If I were ever to 'move up' I would look for an 11.0C!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I bought my S2 9.2A on an auction site .....the reason is the reviues i read..... i had looked at a catalina 30 ft 1984 and though the boat was layed out well other than the engine being under the salon seat mid ship.....and i didnt like the way the keel and rudder were shaped...i also had a very small budget to spend...i also looked at a Irwin 30 with a center board ...that i also didnt like very well......the cabin is some what smaller on the 9.2A as copaired to the cat 30, but the cat had a stright cockpit were as the S2 has a tee shaped ...... so i figured if i was going to do a refit on an old boat it might as well be one with a sound topside and an undamaged hull ......and in the long run....i feel that i have made a wise choice......i do know that i am haveing to do a lot of r and r but based on the out come i will have a very strong boat and hopefully one that is low maintance other that the normal things and to this boat is easy to work on .......

regards

woody

no offence to the cats and the Irwins intended

Last edited:

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
For us it was the tee-shaped cockpit and the overall build quality for the price. You have to buy a much newer and more expensive Catalina 30 to get a tee-shaped cockpit. Hunter was an early adopter, but to be frank after being high on the H30 I saw a few on the hard and was less impressed. The H31 is a big boat, but the build quality of the mid 80's Hunters I had fallen for at a boat show in mid 80's was just proving to be fair at best.

I fell pretty hard for the Newport 30, which has some great design features. Engine access from the cockpit, a pull out nav table and well conceived if busy layout. However, the first had wet decks, the second a big price tag and a mast badly in need of painting and general TCL and the third a bad grounding which led me conclude that the build quality of the hull of the last generation boats was a little dicey.

I was searching for options. I made a spreadsheet with what I wanted and needed rated and started all over. The O'day 30/31 made the list, but I was a little disenchanted with O'day after seeing marginal glass work on an O'day 28. Later O'day's got crossed off for marginal keel attachment. Then one day I happened upon an S2 9.2A. I had picked up a brochure for one way back at that mid-80's boat show along with the Hunter brochures (28.5 and 31) and a brochure for a boat I had never heard of, but which very much impressed me...an Island Packet 31.

The first 9.2A I looked at is still on the market, last I checked, and can only be even more neglected than when I last saw her with her improperly installed new fixed ports popped off and her blue tarp fragmenting and blowing in the wind. The look of her was enough to set me searching for more. Tee cockpit...excellent engine access...nice glass work...the only area they lacked at all to my mind was ventilation...with a single opening port in the head to supplement the hatches. Two more S2's later and the rest is history. I ended up with a solid boat with relatively few design lapses. If I could change anything it would be the mounting of the engine, which was lackadaisical at best.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Auction site?

I bought my S2 9.2A on an auction site .....the reason is the reviues i read..... i had looked at a catalina 30 ft 1984 and though the boat was layed out well other than the engine being under the salon seat mid ship.....and i didnt like the way the keel and rudder were shaped...i also had a very small budget to spend... .......
Woody...did you buy her off ebay? Seems like you got a pretty good deal on her. Care to share how good? I saw one around 10K with an Atomic 4, but up here diesels were 15-20K. I finally concluded that I should buy the best boat I could no matter what the price. Mine was the most expensive of three on the market in the NE at the time at 21K. There was one for more money with an upgraded diesel for nearly 30K, but he pulled her off the marked and sold her a year later. A beautiful example came on the market in RI about two months after I bought mine, but no regrets. All old boats need some TLC but she is solid and worth restoring and that was what mattered most to me.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Re: Auction site?

In my previous response I mentioned 'layout'. What I did not specifically mention was the aft cabin. I had looked at a 9.2A and while I liked it, I was still much more impressed with the center cockpit version because of the aft cabin and how the rest of the interior flowed from it. Although I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to boats (I don't like the looks of the new designs) I do like the center cockpit for their interior and because I like the benefits of being a little more forward and higher while in the cockpit (drier, better visibility, etc.).

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody...did you buy her off ebay? Seems like you got a pretty good deal on her. Care to share how good? I saw one around 10K with an Atomic 4, but up here diesels were 15-20K. I finally concluded that I should buy the best boat I could no matter what the price. Mine was the most expensive of three on the market in the NE at the time at 21K. There was one for more money with an upgraded diesel for nearly 30K, but he pulled her off the marked and sold her a year later. A beautiful example came on the market in RI about two months after I bought mine, but no regrets. All old boats need some TLC but she is solid and worth restoring and that was what mattered most to me.
lets just say that when i get her in the water that the inital investment(purchase price) will be about 7 to 10 % of the total cost and i will have a very well reconditioned 30 year old boat .....as it looks right now the most expensive thing i have to buy is Sails .......it has a main that is prolly original...but no jib or genoa ...and i am haveing a hard time finding a second hand one ....based on all the input i am looking for a 130 to 140...next in line to my refit in cost is plumbing along with painting cost ....of course i have stripped the interior.... so cushions will be a bitter pill to get down......with the help of shopping on E Bay and discounts from my purchaseing skills....... this is a fun project....damn i never knew i was so tight lol.....now dont forget that i am doing a lot of the labor myself and saving big there... even to rebuilding the engine with a lot of help from my diesle mechanic friends (btw these little engines are very well built and simple to work on) this does not include any electronics( radar,gps, chart plotters and the like) and relize that i couldn't do this with out the help of my friends on land and in cyber space......

regards

woody

oh!!! to answer your original question ....i didnt buy it on e bay.... but a salvage site

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Woody,

I just told you how to make cushions easily and nearly for free! Material, some 1/4 plywood, stainless staples, foam and a staple gun. No sweat :) I just saw 60 yards of marine material for $200 on ebay with free shipping too.

I was just looking up Catalina 30 info and a C30 jib, if you can find one, is a pretty close match (normal, not tall rig). It will be a little short, but not much and that will give you better vision under sail.

Do you have a roller furler? HUGE sail at Defender right now if not...50% off in many cases.

Huge sales on sails too at FXsails.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody,

I just told you how to make cushions easily and nearly for free! Material, some 1/4 plywood, stainless staples, foam and a staple gun. No sweat :) I just saw 60 yards of marine material for $200 on ebay with free shipping too.

I was just looking up Catalina 30 info and a C30 jib, if you can find one, is a pretty close match (normal, not tall rig). It will be a little short, but not much and that will give you better vision under sail.

Do you have a roller furler? HUGE sail at Defender right now if not...50% off in many cases.

Huge sales on sails too at FXsails.
thanks bob ....

yes i have a furler...a very old cdi that needs my attention and will get it ...i was lucky in that the guy from cdi sent me a pdf file on teh modle i have ...he said he didnt have any parts for it but that there was a way to up grade mine and he would help me as painless as possable.......

as for the upholstry i have taken your directions under advisement and will make them ..even if i have to take a job in a shop some where to learn how to run a sewing machine and all the little tricks involved ......

i was surfing used stuff the other day and i think i saw a spinnaker for sale that may well have come from my boat .......i will be contacting the seller and ask a few questions about the owner as i still havent found that fellow yet ...and i would really like to sppek with him or her .....when i was cleaning out the boat i came across a shadow box with a silver plated champain cork mounted in it and a little plack that said "SENSATION" OCTOBER 21, 1979...i thought how cool that was .....the boat had no name on the transom when i got it ...and the find pleased me to no end ...if its not unluckey (dont want to offend the gods) to keep it on the boat i will do so........

thanks for the advice on the C30 not tall rig sail ...some things i do to this boat will be for my ego:laugh:being the leo that i am... as well... meaning i do plan to spend a lot of time on her either sailing or just anchored or tied up to a dock some where .....

regards

woody

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
http://goodoldboat.org/reader_services/articles/sailbroker.php on buying used sails and some compromises you can make.

http://goodoldboat.org/reader_services/articles/5yearplan.php on rescuing a salvage boat on a budget

The CDI likely uses a #6 luff tape. I'll keep my eyes open for a used sail. You never know. There is a guy at my club with a 9.2A who might have something. I'll ask around.
thanks for the input Bob anything and all i can learn from everyone is most welcome ......

regards

woody

Mar 8, 2007
S2 8.0C Cherry Point, N.C.
Why I bought my S2 8.0C

S2 Sailing Buddies:

What a good question to answer....Wanting to move up from trailable day sailors, I came across on E-bay an 8.0C in my home state of North Carolina 3 years ago. It was clean and sound, and a good value. I had studied the 30C ( love the bathtub, too!)and some on the 8.0C. I liked the center cockpit and high freeboard. At 60, my wife and I seek comfort and stability, not speed and this suits us well. At 6'3" I can stand in the main cabin. The rear stateroom is a hoot. What sold me was the 2'6" shoal draft which is needed in the shoal NC bays and the 30 HP Atomic 4- it is a mini motor sailor....I have covered most of the 1970s yellow Formica doors and cabinets in teak vennier as well s added some teak wall cabinets throughout. It had good storage for a 26, but I made it better. Like most of us S2 owers, we don't have a strong desire to move up. This 26 footer thinks its a 30 footer and I am not about to tell it otherwise!...Capt Ray

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Why I bought my S2 8.0C

Wow. A 30 hp Atomic 4 in an 8.0C...can you waterski behind it?

In my opinion S2 did some pretty amazing things and it is a shame they got out of the sailboat business. Think about it. In the 70's to mid 80's f you are looking for a 6.8 - 8.0M trailerable boat, a 8.0 - 11.0 M cruiser or a 5.5 - 10.3M racing boat S2 had a quality sailboat for you. That is a pretty fantastic line-up of boats!

Mar 13, 2005
S2 6.8 Mansfield, OH
I bought my 6.8 because I grew up sailing on my Dad's 6.8. Prior to buying mine, I owned a Venture 21, a Venture 25, and a Macgregor 25, and I'd looked at a Catalina 22, but it wasn't roomy enough inside. The Ventures and the Mac were great for inland lake sailing, but I was once out on Lake Erie sailing my Venture 25, in some pretty rough weather.

Dad was sailing his S2, and we were all sailing from Put in Bay back to Sandusky. Waves were about 8', and the wind was lifting my sliding hatch in its tracks.

My brother was with me in the V-25, and Mom, my sister and the dog were with Dad. My brother and I started out sailing with the mainsail from my AMF Apollo (16 footer). We soon decided that was too much sail area for that boat that day. So, we took the sail down and started motoring, and it wasn't long before we decided to head for Kelley's Island until the wind & waves died down.

Meanwhile, Dad and my sister sailed the S2 all the way back to Sandusky with a reefed main and 80% jib. After a couple hours, things calmed down and we sailed back under full V-25 main and working jib. All ended well, but that was the trip that made me decide my next boat would be an S2 6.8, just like Dad's.

I really like how S2 built their boats with enough hardware to actually sail it. My Mac/Ventures all got lots of additional hardware, just to bring them up to the level the S2 lineup had from the factory.

Mar 8, 2007
S2 8.0C Cherry Point, N.C.
Venture 17

Enjoyed your story. I had a Venture 17 as my first major sailboat. I called Ventures the VW of the sailing world. They were cheap, take a lot of abuse and cheal. Like a first car VW bug.

I was with the Coast Guard and one Nnovember day was at CR base Sanduskey. The biggest and stormiest waves I ever saw were coming off that shallow lake. I can just see what you went through.

i agree with you on the merits of the S2 line.

Capt Ray

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Venture 17

Never underestimate a lake. The only time I ever had a crew rapidly don life jackets was on Lake Winnepisaukee in NH. We were out on a 19 foot bowrider in may. I should have guessed something was up when the rental place gave us a free upgrade from a 17 footer. The wind was blowing the length of the lake and there were 3-4 footers out there LOL. Waves were breaking over the bow!

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
I fell for the S2 27

I started looking for a boat after a friend acquired a mid '70s C&C 27 and I spent some time on the water again. (I did a lot of boating as a kid with my family.)
I stumbled upon an S2 27 undergoing restoration while traveling in New Hampshire in the spring of '08. I was able to prowl around it and really liked the open cabin and long cockpit compared to the more traditional C&C layout. That NH boat was priced way too high for a repaired salvage, so I started looking online. I liked what I read about the company and the boats. I found mine on ebay about a month later and it was close enough to look over in person. I got a copy of the survey (about a year old) and placed a bid. Fortunately, the bidding didn't make reserve so I was able to haggle the old fashioned way...by email & telephone.
I really enjoy the boat. The keel is the shoal version which is nice for the upper Chesapeake. Maybe that will limit me in bigger water & weather, but I've found she really cooks with a reef in anyway!
The fun moment was when I caught and passed my buddy in that C&C 27 last fall. (my profile thumbnail was taken from his boat)
Come On Spring!

jms9

Feb 5, 2009
2 9.2A Houston
We wanted to go cruising once I retire nothing too extreme, Gulf Coast, Florida, and then the Bahamas. Then diesel prices shot up to $4.50 a gallon here in Texas, and that made cruising in a powerboat, at least for us, questionable. So we started looking for a sailboat, something inexpensive to learn on, nothing fancy just something to literally test the waters. Neither of us had ever been on a sailboat, we have always had a power boat of one type or another. We reasoned that if we liked sailing we could buy a larger boat to actually go cruising in. We looked at a lot of sailboats in the Houston/Kemah/Galveston area. After about 6 months we found this S2 9.2A. As soon as we stepped aboard we noticed how roomy she was, how well built everything was, she was comfortable and beautiful, it just felt right. Our first ever sail was that same week with the surveyor, he also gave us our first sailing lesson. We bought her. A year and more than three dozen day sails later, we are still planning on retiring and sailing away, but we are going with her. We are still learning and scratching off lines from our lengthy "to do" list, but we are having a blast and looking forward to a sailing retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.