Why "back-in" beaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjtr10

Jan 11, 2010
macgregor 26S Odessa
Lately I have seen several pics of Macs that were backed onto the beach instead of bow first. I don't see anything to be gained from backing in unless it's a little easier to get on & off the boat.

I also don't see how you can reverse onto the beach :confused:

Inquiring minds want to know ???

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
This is my preferred beach tie up. I set an anchor up front out in the water and another tie point on the beach (my lunch hook anchor). Since I have a kick up rudder, I need only inches of water depth to keep the boat off the bottom. My ladder can bridge to dry land, allowing dry egress/ingress.

When it comes time to launch, with everyone on the boat who is going, I can shove off and drop the rudder in one motion and climb up the ladder and then pull it up behind me. Go forward to stow bow anchor and away we go....

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I also don't see how you can reverse onto the beach :confused:
Anchor bow someway out from the shore then throw the outboard in reverse and take the stern in as close as you can get without the prop hitting the sand or mud. Put motor into neutral then jump off (a stern ladder makes this a lot easier) and hold onto stern with a stern anchor rope. Take the stern anchor up the beach then come back to the boat and adjust both anchors so stern of boat is close to the bottom but still floating. As the tide goes in and out you will have to keep adjusting the anchors.

You will usually find it much easier to get on and off the stern. Also if the stern does get stuck on the sand it is usually much easier to move than the bow - as the bow can get wedged in pretty firmly.

Jun 15, 2004
- - Burnham on Sea, UK
Wouldn't work round here

We have as much as a 14 meter (45 foot) tidal range at the equinoxes. The sea retreats as much as 5km (3 miles) at low tide. Makes for fun getting ashore on a beach.

Dec 15, 2010
MacGregor 26M Bradwell Marina, River Blackwater, Essex, England.
Well oreana you pays your money and makes your choice. It's either a difficult launch or a hell of a swim (if you beach at low tide).
Hi Tony, it appears we're Neighbours. I'm out of Bradwell Marina on the Blackwater. Good to hear from someone whose not thousands of miles away (US or Aus.).

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
bit of a walk...

seems that with the tides so high.. that there could be a LOT OF MUD to wade through... backing in seems the good idea... if you can do it..

Seems like one could do amazing things there with the hydraulics of that kind of tide...

--jr

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
I sailed on a long downwind course to a public beach on Priest Lake, Idaho. I had plenty of time to set up a stern beaching using the bow anchor. I dropped the main and secured it on the topping lift and dboard all the way up. I positioned my son on the bow with the bow anchor ready to drop. I placed my admiral at the helm with directions to put the helm completely over when indicated. I rode the stern standing on the lazerette and orchestrated the following: about 25 yards offshore I told my son to let the anchor go. As soon as it touched bottom, I had him tie it off on the forward cleat, while the admiral put the tiller over hard. As the stern of the boat swung around, I stepped off the aft ladder into the shallow water with the small lunch hook in hand, straightened the boat directly into the wind and pulled the stern ashore. The teamwork was awesome! In front of 200 or so people, we beached our boat stern to....

Status
Not open for further replies.