• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Why are there green streaks in my sky... Is the moon really made of Green Cheese and someone is sampling it?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We live in exciting times for a sky gazer. This month is the month of Meteor showers. The most prominent of them being the Perseids shower that celebrates it's annual return by rewarding sky gazers with streaks of light dancing across the Skys in mid August. Usually best show is on a clear night around the 12th to the 15th in a place well removed from artificial lighting.

WHY ARE SO MANY METEORS GREEN? The Moon is not made of green cheese. Neither are meteors. But if that's true, why are so many meteors green? During the recent Perseid meteor shower, sky watchers witnessed hundreds of green meteors. Take a look at this fireball. And this one. And this one. And, last but not least, this one:​
"This green Perseid cut right through the Double Cluster (h Persei and χ Persei) in Perseus," says photographer David Blanchard of Flagstaff, Arizona, who caught the verdant streak during a 30 second exposure with his Nikon digital camera.​
The source of the green is not cheese, it's air. Green is caused by oxygen in Earth's atmosphere. When a meteoroid rips through the atmosphere, air in its path becomes so hot that oxygen molecules briefly lose one of their electrons. They recombine (e- + O2+) very rapidly, emitting green photons as a side-effect. A similar process is responsible for the green colors of many auroras.​
Blanchard's meteor has a fringe of yellow alongside the green. Yellow, it turns out, is due to the meteor. When a sodium-rich meteoroid cuts through the atmosphere, hot sodium vapors glow yellow like a sodium discharge lamp.​

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@jssailem You are not wrong... but it is not the complete story. Air is only ~20% oxygen, the remainder is mostly nitrogen. Turns out the emission spectrum of both have a lot of green in them...

Here is the emission spectrum of nitrogen... notice the greenish lines from about 500 nm to 555 nm.

1566069031748.png

and here is the emission spectrum of oxygen ... notice the green lines in the same general region.

1566069127903.png

I liked what you said about the sodium d-line emission and it reminded me of a time when I displayed my inner nerd with my kids. We were at the beach on vacation and a lightning storm was dancing on the ocean and I pointed out to the kids that the lighting looks orange over salt water instead of white.... and I proceeded to explain why... their eyes glassed over but I enjoyed it anyway.

Here are some examples I pulled off of the google thing....

Ocean

1566069320888.png
1566069350462.png

Land

1566069407516.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks @rgranger but the science is from "Space scientists" on Spaceweather.com. I am but an interested reader of the subject and find the science a good learning experience.

Unlike your kids (who I totally understand their reaction) would listen and ask questions.