Why are marine toilet bowls so small?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The topic heading says it all. There must be a reason for marine toilets to have such a small bowl. Anybody have an idea?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Profit.
The smaller the boat you can fit one in, the more toilets you might sell.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Head compartments on most recreational boats used to be quite small before "cabin" boats became floating condos...and still are on smaller boats. The discharge hole in a marine toilet bowl is always in the center of the bowl, making the front-back measurement of larger household bowl longer in front and in back...the toilet has to sit further from the wall behind it, which makes space in front of the toilet a lot tighter...sometimes TOO tight to give knees enough room, and sometimes makes it impossible to close a head door that opens inward. So compact marine toilets--which is what almost all production sailboat builders use--always have what the industry calls "marine" bowls. The good news is, if you have the space for a larger household bowl, new toilets now offer a choice of a "marine" or "household" bowl or you can just swap out the "marine" bowl on an existing toilet for one...Doesn't have to be the same make/model toilet...Any bowl that has a 4-bolt mounting pattern will fit any other toilet that has the same mounting pattern.

--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks Peggie. That's what I thought. Last year I did swap out the bowl. lt was an expensive but welcome improvement.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I originally had the Jabsco manual compact toilet. I compared the dimensions of their compact model to their "household size" model. Every dimension is only slightly larger for the household model. I was able to replace the compact with the household size which is much more comfortable. Most boats could probably make this change.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Monkeys.

You know the little 3 marks you find on top of a coconut.
1635172871012.png

Monkeys during the full moon climb into the trees. They find the young, soft, tenderest, coconuts to service. 3 times is the charm....

When I heard that explained in the islands, I never looked the same at coconut water, again.