Who's got the biggest, (heaviest) trailerable boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Largest Trailerable Boat

Good overview but as has been noted there are compromises with each design. Cabin size was important to my wife and shallow draft and less than 6000lb towing weight was my goal. The H260 sits low on the trailer and floats in 18 inches of water. The trailer has a very long tongue extension that even once allowed me to launch my boat in two feet of water on a beach in Key West.

Much is made of the so-called "tender" water ballast boats but this can be a very subjective critieria when comparing similar displacement boats. Rack up some similar boats, crunch the numbers, and make a choice.

Here's a link that might help you sort this out.

Go to: http://h260.com/specs/specs.html

Also this link about water ballast boats: http://h260.com/water_ballast/water_ballast_index.html

Nov 30, 2009
Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch Muskegon, Michigan
Two fast boats coem to mind. They are old and may be hard to come by; Hobie 33 monohul can be trailered conventionally. Express 27 is fixed keel and needs a dry-launch facility. Many clubs may be equipped with a monorail swing boom for dry launching from a trailer. Both boats are plaining hulls and PHRF rate with boats much larger.

Our boat was trialered from Florida. 72,000 # and 58 feet LOA.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
There are many boats listed in this tread as trailer-able simply because they have a retractable keel, or have a reduced draft. When you look at their beams, they often exceed 9'.

Most of us don't include road permits and lifting cranes for launching or stepping masts as part of the definition of a big or heavy trailer-able boat.

A 32' "daysailer" performance boat with a swing keel (intended for exploring shallow creeks and inland waterways) can not be considered a trailer-able boat when it has a 9' 6" beam.

The Southerly 32 has grounding plates to allow the hull to sit on the bottom when the tide is out. The performance benefits of a variable geometry are also touted on the web site. Trailer-able is not listed as one of the benefits of its swing keel.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Dog I am getting a 404 error when trying to view the video. Any chance you can post the URL. Thanks Chris

Nov 30, 2009
Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch Muskegon, Michigan
I like the Hobie 33. Its fast and light and nice boat for inland and near shore sailing. If you can dry-sail you might consider an Express 27. Both of these older boats are planing hulls and rate with much larger PHRF boats.

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
I'm a big fan of the Chrysler C-26and think the 78 and early version are very nice looking boats but the 1st mate will only sail on something that won't sink. So that makes our C-22 our ideal boat. The early part of march I plan on taking it to the coast in prep for a trip to the Bahamas (coastal hopping to the keys then making a judgement from there.)
We have stayed on it every weekend since launching it this summer. Room for previsions seems to be the only problem I see.(why I want a C-26)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.........but the 1st mate will only sail on something that won't sink. So that makes our C-22 our ideal boat. ..........
Have you looked at the MacGregor 26 S & D. Not as large as the C-26, but Larger than what you have and they won't sink. It might be a compromise that would work. They would also go places the C-26 won't, but are not the blue water boat that the C-26 is.

We love or S and have stayed out on it up to 18 days (see Lake Powell trip) and could stay out for 30 without re-provisioning.

Also the X and M won't sink but are completely different than the S & D.

The C-26 does look like a nice boat.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.