Who's got the biggest, (heaviest) trailerable boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
I've been thinking about a bigger sailboat; but wondering how big is too big to trailer. I only live 30 miles from our sailing club, all of it through the country. Everything at our club is dry sailed. I could get a wet slip elsewhere, but the cost is 3 or 4 times as much per year. More, if the boat has to be lifted and stored.

We now sail a Bristol 24, which weighs about 6000 lbs, and drafts 3' 5". I launch and retrieve it 2 or 3 times a month with a 2wd F350 pickup. I have no problem at all trailering or launching the boat.

What's the biggest boat you've trailer launched, and retrieved?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
While weight is a big issue so is the draft. Boats with a draft of 3' or so are going to have trouble with a lot of ramps since the end of most ramps is not that deep. So at 6,000 lbs you could trailer a Ranger 29, for instance. But I don't think you would be able to launch it. Also, a longer boat will have to travel further down the ramp to get the keel in deeper water. My biggest trailer boat was an MFG Bandit at a whopping 15'.

Jun 7, 2004
Schock 35 Seattle
Biggest trailerables will vary state to state based on width, not weight. All states allow 8' wide and some allow 8 1/2 ' boats. Easiest to launch are the MacGregor 26 M's.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nor'sea 27

is a pretty hefty trailerable, while it's shorter than many others that can go highway based on width.

J Page

Feb 5, 2004
Hunter 30 Muskegon MI
I've seen the new southerly 32's in adds. lots of boat for a trailer and going down the road you'd look like a train. Not sure of its draft for depth of launch, but from the adds they look EXPENSIVE. BTW my last boat was a bristol 24 (1969) way overbuilt, but watch the chainplates. Mine failed(actually the wood that connected them in failed) pulled through the deck, and the whole rig went into the drink. Saved it!! It now sits in my side yard (Flag pole maybe) If you need a mast or know of another owner that needs one, contact me. The rest of the boat is gone.

Pray for Wind,
Lugeman

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Well there is the Far Harbor 39 that fits in a 40' container that ships by truck, rail, or ship.( http://www.containeryachts.com/ ) but with an F350 I guess you should consider the Southerly!
How often do you take your Bristol to other lakes? A lot of us have had dreams about sailing at lots of different lakes but ended up sailing. on the same lake almost forever. I suggest you wetslip for a while and see how you like it.

It would be nice to have "boat swapping" available. Kind of like a timeshare? That would allow you to try other places and other boats but we are all pretty private or particular about unknown persons at our helm (or in our bunks).:snooty:

Hey you! stay off my anchor! :)

Oct 18, 2008
Hunter 26 Louisville, KY
My Hunter 26 has a water ballast and is about 4,800 lb on the trailer. There is a Hake 32 that claims to be trailerable with a Tundra truck.

Jul 5, 2007
I've launched

in Kentucky Lake and took out in the Alcote River in Tarpon Srings Fla. It's quite a hassle to take the Bristol to another place. At our club; we have a mast hoist to step the mast. I took it down alone in Fla., but it was pretty hairy doing it on the water, with the mainsheet and spinnaker pole. It takes 3 people to hand step it. I also have a 7 foot tongue extension that's needed to launch and retrieve. At the club, however, it's a breeze to just hookup and luanch with the mast already up, and the extension on.

We are thinking of wet slipping next year just because we only have a 6 month season at our club, and the marina allows boats in the water for 9 months. Not sure how much we would sail in March and November though.

Well there is the Far Harbor 39 that fits in a 40' container that ships by truck, rail, or ship.( http://www.containeryachts.com/ ) but with an F350 I guess you should consider the Southerly!
How often do you take your Bristol to other lakes? A lot of us have had dreams about sailing at lots of different lakes but ended up sailing. on the same lake almost forever. I suggest you wetslip for a while and see how you like it.

It would be nice to have "boat swapping" available. Kind of like a timeshare? That would allow you to try other places and other boats but we are all pretty private or particular about unknown persons at our helm (or in our bunks).:snooty:

Hey you! stay off my anchor! :)

Jul 5, 2007
Too bad about your Bristol

I've seen the new southerly 32's in adds. lots of boat for a trailer and going down the road you'd look like a train. Not sure of its draft for depth of launch, but from the adds they look EXPENSIVE. BTW my last boat was a bristol 24 (1969) way overbuilt, but watch the chainplates. Mine failed(actually the wood that connected them in failed) pulled through the deck, and the whole rig went into the drink. Saved it!! It now sits in my side yard (Flag pole maybe) If you need a mast or know of another owner that needs one, contact me. The rest of the boat is gone.

Pray for Wind,
Lugeman
I wouldn't mind having a spare mast for mine. My bulkhead is fairly new, and re-inforced where the chainplates attach. I've thought about moving them to the hull and adding a second lower.

Jenni

May 24, 2007
Macgregor 26D Port Hope, ON
Mac26D

A Macgreggor 26D is 1650lbs dry and about 2850lbs sailing weight. It sails quite nicely and is pretty easy to launch and tow.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Big heavy trailerables

One could write a book on this topic. Some responded to your question with their experiences of water ballasted boats. They are not considered to be heavy (assuming you want to sail off shore or have a boat that will hold up in more extreme conditions). The beauty of water ballasted boats are they are larger (but not heavier) vessels that can be trailered down the road with a smaller vehicle because they are light when empty and when launched, you add the ballast in the form of water. Many of the MacGregors, Hunters and Catalinas have offered such boats. I don't think Hunter has them anymore, however. For those sailing in protected waters, wanting this ease of trailerability they might be good choices. Some of these boats offered quite large interiors with enclosed heads, large aft berths and so could accommodate a growing family. The downside to these boats, in comparison to boats with other keel configurations is they can be tender. The reason being is that the ballast is contained high within the hull and not below the hull like a boat with a conventional keel. Also water is lighter than lead and so when you have your ballast within the hull and not below the hull, your "counterbalance" is not as effective. To compensate this the manufacture of a water ballasted boat often shortens the mast so that the combined center of effort of the two working sails is lower. That is a compromise to performance. A high aspect ratio mast with a higher combined center of effort and a keel properly positioned low enough to maintain stability is a much more fun boat to sail - generally speaking.
That being said, there are other alternatives if the above info is not what you want. Boat keel configurations that are considered to offer more stability would be the type such as a swing keel, shoal keel, winged keel or shoal keel with a centerboard, daggerboad drop keel or tandem keel, Sheel keel or end plate bulb keels. In some cases you will find some boats with some internal ballast as well as a swing keel (Chrysler 26 is one example).
Swing keels are usually made of cast iron because you cannot use lead for this purpose. Lead is heavier and offers more stability per volume (also more expensive). Swing keels can offer a great deal of stability to provide a sufficiently stiff boat, but consider that some swing keel boats are only self-righting if the keel is down and not all (but some) are if the keel is in the up position. Swing keels are also often not very hydrodynamicaly shaped which doesn't help performance. But, swing keels usually extend down in the water to help windward performance, but obviously not as efficient as fin keel that has a nice foil shape. Winged keels can be lead or cast iron, but usually not cast iron as the wings can be too vulnerable to bending if lead on smaller boats. The wing concept is to offer a shoal draft configuration that provides as much lift as you can expect in a shoal keel (borrowed from America Cup technology). The problem is, they aren't very efficient, especially to weather and if you run around or out of water in sand or a soft bottom, they act like anchors and you can have a bad time getting free. Sailing down wind or on a broad reach is ok with a winged keel, but to weather, not very good at all.
A shoal draft keel used on many O'days, Columbias, etc. years ago, were longer fore and aft, but not very deep. Again, because they are below the hull and made of lead (even if encapsulated within the fiberglass hull) offered good stability, but not good windward performance. Later, manufacturers started putting centerboards in these shoal keels which extended deep into the water and that provided decent windward performance. In my opinion, this is the best overall keel configuration for a trailerable boat with the least compromises to performance. To my knowledge, the only currently manufactured boat that offers this design is Precision.
I forgot to mention that many swing keel boats had trunks in the cabin that took up living space or was in the way, while a boat with a keel below the hull uses up no interior space.
Today, if you buy a new boat they are offered most of the time with either a standard deep keel or an optional shoal keel. The deep keel comes with the price of the boat, but you pay extra for the shoal keel. Why you say? Because since the shoal keel is not as deep, it is larger and hence more lead or material is used, which increases it's cost. But, this is not really so much a condition of a trailerable boat.
S-2 made many designs (rumored to again restart manufacturing) that were performance oriented that included daggerboard type lead keels. They were efficiently shaped for performance and did have sitting accommodations for 4, but they are sought after racing boats rather than cruising boats and there was this big thing in the middle of the boat to contain the keel. Another example of this design was the C&C Mega 30 (a Peter Barrett design) where the keel pulled up into the hull via an electric winch. (S-2 used a manual winch). This keel was a faired NASA fin with a bullet bulb on the bottom. Very efficient and performance oriented, but some purchased them for cruising as it was 30 feet and you could launch and retrieve it and step the mast yourself. Another example was the South Coast 26A which had a drop keel lifted and lowered by an electric winch, but the keel didn't have a NASA shape and had a huge bulb on the bottom. Both the Mega and Southcoast were legal width for trailering and both had stand up headroom. The SC had an enclosed head too. Incidentally, the South Coast 26 was the exact same hull used in the Parker Dawson center cockpit boat, but her keel was a swing keel.
Another keel configuration is the full shoal keel (of varying depths) with the attached or barn door rudder. Cape Dory and many more designs are examples, many of which are not necessarily considered to be trailerable boats.
The tandem keel used on many European models are twin keels with an attached bulb. Different designs have come out through the years and some more efficient that others. Bavaria uses the tandem keel on their modern shoal drafted boats and it is proving to be quite efficient and stable, but again, I have not seen these on trailerable boats.
Sheel keels and end plate bulb keels (different from each other) use a concept of a shoal keel with a flare out at the bottom to add some lift and stability. The end plate concept (a Jim Taylor design) is pretty efficient in a shoal draft keel used on trailerable boats.
There is a compromise to everything it seems, so you, as a buyer and sailor really have to figure out what your priorities are and what is important to you in a boat. Where will you sail and how long do you intend to stay on board? I presume the trips would be weekend trips or trips that are a few weeks long. But, not months or over great distances or offshore.
Boats geared for offshore use are built to those specifications and classified as offshore capable. Most trailerables are not considered more than inland or coastal capable. Catalinas, Beneteaus, Hunters, MacGregors, Precisions, O'Days, etc. are not classified for offshore sailing.
In addition, when you think of taking very long trips you have water tanks, fuel tanks and storage capacities to take you away on a long trip. Even when looking at large sailboats, you can be romanced by the appeal of a particular design, and interior space, but if her inboard auxiliary cruising range is limited by a small diesel fuel tank, she might not be the boat for that purpose, etc.
I remember the late Lyle Hess designed some sturdy trailerable boats that could be sailed off shore.
But, I assume that you are not going to go sailing off into the sunset in your trailerable boat.
Larger trailerable boats would include: Clipper 30 (old design - not too many around and not really super well built. But, it was 30', about 8' wide and trailerable). C&C Mega 30 mentioned before. Hake 32, built still today (and they have a number of smaller ones too). Shannon has a large, quality trailerable boat. Beneteau built a shoal draft, twin rudder boat that could be put on a trailer, but it was not legal width (need permit) and cannot step mast by yourself. Not in production now. Hunter, of course made many, of which the 260 was probably the most popular (water ballasted). MacGregor made several and even made one that was 65 feet. But, not built for offshore, most had sitting headroom and some were designed to have large outboards (the X series). Precisions built cabin boats from 16.5' to 23', but have built larger sizes in years past. South Coast and Parker Dawson, Spirit Yachts (Glastron company), Bayliner Buccaneer (used concrete for ballast - not built anymore, large interiors, sailed terribly and not rugged). American built well built boats that were very trailerable up to 26', but were boxy, had a shoal keel with no centerboard. Lancer had similar designs. O'Day made many through the years and at one time might have been the most popular sailboat manufacturer of her day. Aquarius and Balboa and Laguna. Spindrift, Cape Dory, Cal, Columbia, Coronado, San Juan, WD Schock, Morgan yachts, Irwin Yachts, Paceship, There are lots more I can't think of now. I will think this over and maybe offer some insight to big heavy trailerables (which sort of defeats the purpose of trailerability)

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Check out the SeaWard RK26 and RK32 by Hake Yachts

They have retractable keels and will trailer launch on a shallow ramp. Expensive but look very well made.

Jul 5, 2007
Don't think I could launch that at my ramp.

santana 27'
5000#dry 4'6" draft:dance:
Have you trailer launched it? We don't have enough depth at our ramp, at normal water level. I've seen a few that do though.

Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
Ericson 25

The specs say 5600 lbs, but I weighed the boat and trailer and gear for a 10 day excursion and it weiged in at 8100 lbs. I pull it with a F150 and Im at it's max pulling load. It is very easy to launch, but raising the stick is 20 seconds of everything you got and more. Real nice sailing boat with tons of useable space.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Many boats can be stored on a trailer but aren't really trailerable boats IMHO. The Far Harbor 39 is a good example... since you have to remove the keel to trailer it.

If you're looking for a seaworthy, comfortable, trailerable boat, I'd recommend looking at some of the folding sport trimarans, like the Telstar 28, Corsair 28/31, Dragonfly 800/920. These boats have very shallow drafts with the board up, most are designed to be beachable, and are trailerable.

I've helped launch a Corsair 36, but it's a pretty big beast and I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
How about the Hobie 33?

I can't imagine towing a boat 11' longer than what I've got right now.

John C

Feb 8, 2005
- - -
Cat 28 with gear and trailer 12,500 lbs+

My experience is trailering a Catalina 28 for over 7500 miles and numerous launches in the Northwest. Launching and retrieving is not a problem as long as you have the right equipment. For this boat (wing keel 4' draft) I needed a 50' tow rope and a super strong dolly wheel for the trailer tougue. Some ramps are not long enough and have drop off's at the end, "watch out" You must use a full size 4x4 with low range to pull the boat up the ramp anything less wont have the traction. (boat and trailer loaded with gear tops 12,500)
The real problem is stepping a big mast, I've tried a number of A frames and home made cranes, all of which are such a pain that I quit and sold the boat after 4 years. Hiring a local marina to step the mast is expensive and has scheduling conflicts with cruising plans.

My advice to anyone is to make sure you have a mast stepping system that you can do with one helper in a few hours. Transporting the boat, launching, permits, all that stuff come together pretty easy, but stepping the mast can make or break being a trailer sailer. My current boat is a Catalina 25 with a swing keel, I do it all by myself in about 2 hrs, a little longer with helpers.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
This is one reason I like the boat I have. It has a patented mast-raising system that allows a single person to go from stick down to stick up with the boom on and sails bent on in under an hour with a little practice. The system uses a single mast-raising line lead back to a cockpit genoa winch to raise or lower the mast. It can also be stopped anywhere in between and reversed as necessary.

If you want to see a video of the mast raising system, go here.

The real problem is stepping a big mast, I've tried a number of A frames and home made cranes, all of which are such a pain that I quit and sold the boat after 4 years. Hiring a local marina to step the mast is expensive and has scheduling conflicts with cruising plans.

My advice to anyone is to make sure you have a mast stepping system that you can do with one helper in a few hours. Transporting the boat, launching, permits, all that stuff come together pretty easy, but stepping the mast can make or break being a trailer sailer. My current boat is a Catalina 25 with a swing keel, I do it all by myself in about 2 hrs, a little longer with helpers.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Chrysler 26 is a pretty roomy boat that is solidly built and available with a swing keel. They sail pretty well too. My old girlfriends Father has sailed the deep keel version for 25 years and he is about 6' 4" and was (is?) about 300lbs. He bought it because of the aft berth and head room. Not the prettiest boat in my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.