Who's an ex-racer?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I haven't raced in over 20 years. Although I recollect crewing on a Lightning in the 60's, it wasn't until the mid 80's that I got into PHRF racing with a 23' trailerable sailboat.

We had a small local club of friends that raced a wide array of boats (20 to 50'), on a big lake.

It was fun! I was single then and half the racing was the party afterward. A bit of PHRF racing fit my life at that time.

I owe racing for becoming a better sailor. Back then, after racing a bit and wanting to get better, I read Sailpower by Wallace Ross, already a decade or more old. I loved that book.

I remember the material was all Greek the first time I read it. Then as I sailed more - raced a bit more - reviewed what I was reading,... I read it again. Then it all fell into place.

Sailpower must have been 'The book' at the time. A few of us took a North Sails Go-Fast weekend seminar in the early 90's. The class was a little disappointing I remember, in that it was modeled nearly chapter and verse after the book. Still fun to attend.

Life went on. I met a girl and took her sailing for her first time. A few years later we had a family.

We still did a few PHRF races, now in a bigger boat with babies onboard, but that was about the end of my PHRF racing. New priorities, no regrets.

These days the state of the art in sail trim doesn't interest me much. I still trim to 1975 standards in that book. Occasionally I look at one of the local PHRF race invitations but so far, take a pass. I do like to sail by and watch but end up peeling off in another direction happier to choose a different wind angle.

I don't take a shot of sails unless the telltales are ironed on the sail. That's what's left of the racer in me.

Reading under sail leveled.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I came in "back of the pack" in 1999, a year after I bought our boat. Won the event in 2006. Quit while I was ahead. :)

Don Guilette's Sail Trim book is superb. Available right here on the sbo store.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is no doubt in my mind that racing as crew or occasionally my own boat has made me a better sailor. Of course I got spoiled and want to add all the (expensive) go fast bits and pieces to my cruising boat.

I tried racing my own boat a couple of times, but crew references to Captain Bligh and Mr. Christian grew tiresome. :mad:

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I’ve never raced, and probably will never on our Virgin H30C. But last year the Hook7 showed 8.5 Kts VMG on our theoretical 5.5 HS. Cold, windy, and a crap load of excitement on our uplake run with my pal Joe. And yes I let him secure the helm. Good times on Cayuga, the Fall winds were favorable with a 20 degree list.

4786B73C-EAF3-4182-8702-3A7AE28B8EE6.jpeg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Used to crew on Class C and D offshore boats in Florida.

Then raced Dolphin Sr's here in local yacht club races. My ex used to whip all of us on hers. She's 5'2" , 108 pounds and a heckuva sailor. The Sr is like a Sunfish but a bit more sail and comfortable for two, but easily single handed.
Also, ex and I raced our Prindle 18 in a local off the beach club, We had about 15 boats that participated - Le mans starts from beached boats -Lots of fun and beach parties afterwards. Was great since the beach is only 5 blocks from the house.

Since getting my Tehani going, haven't raced at all- been cruising instead. Coming onto 20,000 miles since 2004.

And Tom- that Sail Power is a great book. My copy is somewhat bedraggled from years of looking at it :) Sadly, I loaned it to someone and can't recall to whom :(

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Other than messing about with a few dinghies on The Bay, I began my sailing career as crew racing a Thunderbird. My skipper was pretty good, winning 5 out of 7 seasons. However, this did not serve me well when it came time to purchase the vessel I intended to circumnavigate on, a 49' Rhodes/Stone built, TransPac racer. 23 bags of sails and 22 men raced her to Hawaii several times. An absolutely ludicrous boat for a couple to cruise on!
Now, I doubt you could get me to race Skipping Stone for any reason at all, though I would be perfectly happy to race any other sailboat if asked.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Great post and thanks for bringing it up. Still have Wallace Ross’s book in my library. Love racing in one design and competitive PHRF fleets for years. Occasionally race my cruising H31 with some success even though I have “slowed down” quite a bit in the aggressiveness if racing. Aloso agree racing made me a better sailor on and off the course.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have never raced my own boat and don't plan to, unless it's some kind of long distance A to B type event where the field is well spread out. My nerves and temperament would not do well with in a tightly packed crowd of other skippers who take the whole thing way too seriously.

Of course, I'll race like a madman against any other boat going the same direction I am, win or lose, regardless of size or design. My wife always says "Honey ... he doesn't know this is a race."

"Well he better figure it out", says I, "or I will smoke his *ss like a cheap cigar!!" :laugh:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My wife always says "Honey ... he doesn't know this is a race."
If Jon is in the other boat, he sure does know.
Yes, if there's another sailboat heading my way, we're racing. I suspect they know it too. The object is to make sure you're sail trim is more perfect than theirs and you look like a real sailor. That's winning.
The only race I've ever been in was as part of the Clearwater Optimist Club sailing classes. I was doing well. Just ahead of the pack. We rounded the far buoy and were heading back to the finish line when the wind died. All boats stopped except one little girl who was on the outside and had wind. We all just sat there and watched her win with no competition:what:.
Years later, she was the last girl I ever dated before my wife.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Returning to Maine several years ago, we stopped for the night in Hadley Harbor, a beautiful snug anchorage in Buzzards Bay.

In the late afternoon, a few small sailboats began to zip into view at the entrance to the anchorage, to leeward.

Little did we know, we were being treated to a race. Not just any race but the purest form of the sport, a race of one design sailboats.
CCKs entering Haley Harbor.jpg

I'd find out later we were in the middle of the annual John and Prince's Folly, an unusual race out of the Woods Hole YC. The race begins off the YC docks in Woods Hole. After the gun, racers sail any course they choose, through the treacherous currents of Woods Hole Passage and through the narrow slot of Hadley Harbor.

On they zipped, just feet away. These were Cape Cod Knockabouts, an old class of one design racers.
CCK fast to windward kids.jpg
Narrow harbor, moored and anchored boats to dodge, this was a test. As they passed, we watched as the fleet tightened into a tacking duel to windward.
Tacking duel crop 2.jpg
Later I'd find out they were rounding the only mark - to windward - in the 12 NM or so course.

Things were tight around that mark!
CC 384 through a sticky wicket.jpg

One thing you know for sure in one design racing, the boat out front is out sailing the boats behind.

On came the leader past our bow.
CCK 424 leading the pack.jpg

One by one, like moths in the distance, the sails disappeared out of the harbor headed back through Woods Hole Passage.

I don't know if 424, the woman at the helm was determined enough. That was a memorable race to stumble on.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I’ve never raced, and probably will never on our Virgin H30C. But last year the Hook7 showed 8.5 Kts VMG on our theoretical 5.5 HS. Cold, windy, and a crap load of excitement on our uplake run with my pal Joe. And yes I let him secure the helm. Good times on Cayuga, the Fall winds were favorable with a 20 degree list.
It appears to be a mite chilly in that pic (at least for a guy who has lived in the tropics all his adult life), so is the guy in flip-flops a nut job or an Eskimo? lol

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Often personalities are described in terms of a small group of characteristics. I wonder if our reasons for sailing can be described in the same manner:
  • Movement. Many sports are about the joy of moving.
  • Curiosity. This defines humanity and certainly much of cruising.
  • Achievement. Winning counts in racing. Goals count for cruisers to.
Then add a layer for intensity. Gunk holing vs. circumnavigation. Beer can racing vs. VOR.

And like personalities, we can see that some combinations are stable and yield a good work-to-suck ratio and some don't, the reason certain "games" are popular, but others less so. An no one said you couldn't play different games on different days, or at different points in your life, depending on what you are still curious about, how you feel about movement, and what you are still interested in achieving. There are games I used to play that I have moved past.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
It appears to be a mite chilly in that pic (at least for a guy who has lived in the tropics all his adult life), so is the guy in flip-flops a nut job or an Eskimo? lol
LMAO, Let’s go with nut job...with a qualifier. Those flip flops are Oofos brand and the only comfortable footwear that calms my Planters Faciitis. They are, however, possibly the worst choice for a boat shoe because when wet the cushioning polymer reacts like having grease under foot. I actually prefer bare foot when moving forward, but the flips get worn when hangin’ out in the cockpit and traversing the companionway. It was a mite brisk that day at 40F and wind chill factored in. It’s all good though, as it allows us to really appreciate our annual outings in your neck of the woods...or latitudes.

129B1750-CD4F-4DE3-8820-FA2443486431.jpeg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And Tom- that Sail Power is a great book. My copy is somewhat bedraggled from years of looking at it :) Sadly, I loaned it to someone and can't recall to whom :(
I need some winter reading so looked online and discovered that many many copies of this book are available used, on Amazon, for under $6.00 .. my copy is on the way ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Once I learned how to not sink an ElToro the idea of competing against other boats was on.

Class racing in Gloretta Bay, PHRF racing in San Diego Harbor, Class racing out of Alameda, and ocean racing out of Mission Bay on FD’s as crew to a wining Navy Lieutenant. All this prepared me for competition in the Chesapeake Bay on Lido 14’s and some MORC racing. It was easy for some that had the money to build the lightest boat with the best gear. As one moves beyond their local club activities the boat and the gear become a significant factor.

I learned a lot about boat handling and the skills needed to control sails to get the best out of your boat. It is difficult to not adjust a sail or to see a helm that is falling off course and not want to yell WAKE UP.

But I am working on it. Cruising is a different idea. One that lets you smell the flowers not just dash by them.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is difficult to not adjust a sail or to see a helm that is falling off course and not want to yell WAKE UP.
I still hear a distant call, "Willy, mind your helm!" in my head sometimes at night. It's not your voice, JS!?!? Is it?
:meh:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Likely not, unless I have developed a super power...:yikes:

Probably your dad is still in your head.:pray:
Sounds like a gentle reminder:deadhorse: from years past.