who trailer sails?

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
615448_4931163883288_907495764_o.jpg
I trailer sail, actually I prefer the term "Dry Slip"
My boats a little big for going down the road other than spring and fall going back to indoor storage iny barn for winter...
With a keel stepped mast, I do it once a season and store the boat fully rigged and ready to launch...
Launch time 20 maybe 25 minutes, and that includes loading supplies for the weekend...
Cost wise, I pay $80 a month vs. slip fees and I don't have to worry about sinking or banging on the dock all week... Repairs rehab done indoors over the winter... Sailing all summer.

Maybe I'm different, but my boat goes out more than a lot of the dock Queens I leave at the marina..But hey, they're having drinks on the deck...

Attachments

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Steping and un stepping isn't that big a deal with the winch set up I have my big hang up is sometimes the wait at the ramp this is the reason I slip my boat. However about 6 weeks ago we had a storm come through and did $2400 damage to boat. Banging on the dock my boat is no queen but it wasn't damaged before.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The trick is to ask what sort of commitment do you have to the sport? My commitment is strong, so I am motivated to make it work. The biggest trick is to simplify your setup so it can be done by yourself in less than 45 minutes on a slow day, less than a half hour if you hurry. My mast is up in less than ten minutes form the time I roll up to the marina. I've watched guys arrive before I did, and I'm launching before they even get their mast up. The little stuff adds up. All of my rigging is on quick disconnects. They are expensive, but compared to the cost of a slip, they are cheap. Last year I made a new support for the mast that is higher up. I can trailer it with this support, so one less thing to do when I get to the ramp. Think through the process, and simplify at every turn.

The next trick I want to start trying this summer is doing my setup while the boat is driving out of the marina. Its about 20 minutes from the launch ramp to the open water. I have an autopilot to keep the boat going straight, so I should be able to install the boom and sails while making my way out. I typically have the sails down and boom in the cabin on the way in, so I should be able to do the same on the way out. If I can get my launch down to 15 minutes, that is my goal.

I have another thought for you. Every year we take a week vacation to go sailing. So if you are not getting down to the local marina regularly, you can plan ahead and commit for a whole week of vacation. My guess is the business of life is competing for your sailing time. Taking a whole week is a very good way to clear your mind. It make take a few days to leave all that stuff on the shore.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The next trick I want to start trying this summer is doing my setup while the boat is driving out of the marina. Its about 20 minutes from the launch ramp to the open water. I have an autopilot to keep the boat going straight, so I should be able to install the boom and sails while making my way out. I typically have the sails down and boom in the cabin on the way in, so I should be able to do the same on the way out.
Big +1 on that. Both going out and coming back in.

Any work that can be done underway instead of on the trailer in a parking lot ... isn't really work. ;)