who has taken a small boat to the Bahamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Go to amazon.com ad look for the book or snook titled "Sailing Misadventures of the Wild Hair". I think I paid 1.00 for a kindle version. It's by a guy names Chip Giles. He and his wife are teachers who make this trip and its funny and easy to read but in the end, you can learn something from their mistakes and you'll love the comedy of errors they encounter. After reading this, I too am really excited about the idea of also making the trip someday.

I just checked, its temporarily in available but I'm sure it will be available soon

http://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Misadventures-Wild-Hair-ebook/dp/B0039IT8OE

It's not a great masterpiece, but funny nome the less.
It looks like you can only get it as a Kindle Book (?)

Mar 1, 2013
Cal 20 Detroit
Is it just me or does Chip remind you of Hank Hill. (And I mean that in a good way) great book and good reading. I guess I am worring too much every trip is going to have small problems. I know cars, eketronics, small engines etc. So I guess somethings can only be learned by experience like secure the motor on the dinghy. He lost his motor and still did not it ruin his trip.
I want to say thank you for everyones advice.

Mar 1, 2013
Cal 20 Detroit
I just got Robert Crawford's book about Black Feathers.After reading that along with Chip Giles book I am ready to tackle the world or maybe lunch at Sindbad's. As soon as the ice melts I am gone.

Mar 1, 2013
Cal 20 Detroit
I read both books Chip was funnier than Robert Crawford. I do not have 25 k to outfit my Cal but I am resourceful and can mod stuff. I have a Cabella's, Harbor Freight, and a boat junk yard near me. The whole point.is to do the trip affordable. I can move The Cal easy so nothing.is.out of reach. I can buy donation bouts cheap.for parts. And I lived 3 monthes without power so I have some cool toys. Crawford proved the boat can do it no problem I am more worried about stupid mistakes. Oh and my home owners covers my boat in fresh water. I will need a rider for salt.

Jul 10, 2010
Prout 34 NC
Hi-I went last year about this time in a 23' trailer sailor (Compac). Left from Ft Lauderdale about four pm for arrival the next morning. With a small boat what I thought was safest was to sail in the Abaco Sea. On the way there we went onto the Bank at Memory Rock since we were pushed north by rough seas and had the typical east wind at that time of year. With calm seas you could go in at West End. Stayed for three weeks. It's great there you won't regret it!
http://www.tripcharts.com/tccharts_resources/tcabacohype/tcabacohype.html is a link to our trip

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I have done many gulf stream crossings and have sailed into West End on some of them. The biggest thing you need to watch is weather, because it can get nasty out there on the stream and bigger boats handle nasty better than small. You say you have a lot of time, well, a lot of time to wait out weather doesn't mean you can go either in May or June, but when you are down there in May, you might have to wait a few days or a few weeks for the weather to cooperate before heading across. Provisioning in a small boat is tough because you simply don't have room for a lot of water, fuel and food. Once at West End, you can regroup in the marina there and clear customs, then you should head north around to the Abacos rather than going around the south end. The Abacos offer lots of islands to get out of the weather unlike the Gulf Stream. Returning to Florida might best be accomplished by going south from Marsh Harbour down to Little Harbour cut (spend some time at Pete's Pub) and then sail by the Hole in the Wall towards Nassau. You can cut the trip up by going towards Egg Island and then find an overnight inside the Cays there and then head towards Nassau for some more provisioning. From there you can work your way west to the Berry Islands (more protection and provisioning), then to the NW Providence Channel Light, across the banks to either North Light north of Bimini by way of Mackie Shoals or further south to Cat Cay via Russell Beacon light. Then you can cross the gulf stream again to Florida. Just remember the stream goes north, so if you are heading to Miami, for example, maybe you would prefer to go south more from Bimini/Cat Cay area to say, South Riding Rocks so that you can head in a NW direction. Again, watch the weather every where you go. The Bahamas are not like sailing in the BVI's. There is a lot of open water, lots of weather danger and doing it in a small boat makes you even more vulnerable.

Mar 1, 2013
Cal 20 Detroit
I took it out for the first time last night. I sailed up the Detroit river to St. Clair lake. The sails were a handful. I will not,be winning any races anytime soon.
The boat was solid. After sailing Sunfish and lasers I loved the Cal. I am going to be busy here building my skills this year. When I get better I will,head out on Erie. We have a house on an island in NC. When I get better I will take it down and spend,a couple of months Coastal sailing Cape Fear.
I think I will know the answer to my question. I will know when both myself and the boat are ready to head to the Bahamas. I have at least a year more. The Cals are strong little boats but I am not ready for any bad weather yet. The wind blew me 180 last night and dropping the sail I did not know till I started to head in. People around boats are great. They always are willing to offer advice. New guys lije me are very thankful.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Summer is not the best time of the year for crossing. It is a real possibility you will get there and be forced to leave your boat and fly back if you have a deadline to be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.