Who do you go to for sewing supplies

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Getting ready to tackle the soft side of boating, I need to redo my dodger and I know sailrite has all you need but it’s just way too expensive, where do you go to for your supplies

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Yes Sailrite is expensive but you can buy small quanities and they offer fast service. I found a less expensive source for zippers but the minimum order was too much. Try Google- you may find a source that is good for you.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Depends what you are buying. For some items they are more expensive than other sources, however, as Rich notes you can buy in smaller quantities. It is also important to know that you are buying quality. Some items on eBay and Amazon may not be of the same quality, although much cheaper.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Getting ready to tackle the soft side of boating, I need to redo my dodger and I know sailrite has all you need but it’s just way too expensive, where do you go to for your supplies

They are in Barrie, Ontario. Great service, lots of selection. Price is more reasonable as they not limited to marine fabrics.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Check area listings for commercial upholstery suppliers. Medium to large cities will have them.... because designers like to feel their material and see it in the light. Try a search like this: "Upholstery supplies in toronto area"

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Sailrite's hardware and supplies like basting tape tends to be cheaper and they ship fast. I try to use them since their videos are really helpful.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sailrite's hardware and supplies like basting tape tends to be cheaper and they ship fast. I try to use them since there videos are rally helpful.
Just like any supplier, some products are priced higher than competition and others less. As for their instructional videos, they are absolutely excellent!

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
My 2 cents......Sailrite's customer service, to me, outweighs thier slightly higher price ( on some items). They have gone out of thier way to help me..........and I'm a real needy person when it comes to sewing help..... :) :)

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I agree that they have good quality and the prices are ok, at least they are when you're shopping in the states, but convert it to canadian money and add the shipping and they get expensive fast

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
it is expensive, but like others have noted, you are paying for all of their content. Get on their mailing list, and they have specials every month.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Saillrite is the only purveyor of sewing supplies and machines that I have used. As others have remarked, great selection & customer service. DIY videos are very helpful. Just received an email that they have posted new videos on PPE and have supplies on hand to fabricate them.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
My 2 cents......Sailrite's customer service, to me, outweighs thier slightly higher price ( on some items). They have gone out of thier way to help me..........and I'm a real needy person when it comes to sewing help..... :) :)
I called them today for tech support on a sewing machine I bought from them more than 10 years ago, and 10 minutes later, the sewing machine tech person sent me a link to a video showing me exactly how to adjust the machine to cure the problem. :D

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As they say, you should dance with the one that brought ya. Sailrite brought canvas work to our homes and has been supportive of sailors and boaters with their instructional videos, sail kits, and quality supplies. The vast majority of my sewing supplies come from Sailrite.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Sailrite. As others have said, their customer service is great. On projects, they have always been eager to help and help usually came from one of the Grants. At Annapolis, I wind up going with a list of questions, and they have always spent as much time as I needed giving ideas and advice. Never a hard sell or pushy. They get my vote for service and quality.