white smoke when starting engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

abinkc

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 30T Grand Lake
After getting fuel refill on my H336 it took a bit of grinding to get the diesel engine to start, especially the first time. Lot of white smoke, too. Did I get some bad fuel, or what? Should I add some diesel treatment? I mentioned the issue to a truck drive at a truck stop and he suggested adding about a gallon of unleaded gasoline to the diesel fuel. Does that make sense?

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
no don't add gas to the fuel. try some fuel additive but more often then not white smoke is water vapor being burnt off. It is more a internal water problem more so then a fuel problem. Check the anti freeze level.. check both fuel filters (replace) It could be bad fuel but I don't think so Does it happen all the time and is it still doing it ?? was it very cold out that day ?? sometimes just real cold temp (below 32) will cause a grey white smoke or was it just a one time thing ??

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
If this problem exhibited with the first attempted start after the fill up the problem is almost certainly not associated with the fuel. It takes quite a while for the fuel to get from the tank to the injectors. If the fuel were contaminated it would take many minutes of run time before it would reach the engine. Definately do NOT add gasoline to your fuel. The chance of serious engine damage could result.
I would check for air in the fuel supply as a likely suspect for hard/no start. A very small amount of air bubbles in the fuel would certainly cause this kind of problem. It can be caused by a combination of poor fuel line connections and/or partially clogged fuel filters.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Cranking and white smoke

White smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion or steam. The steam will dissipate as it moves away from the boat the smoke will not. If you cranked the engine some before it fired up you introduced fuel into the exhaust. Once the engine fires up the hot exhaust gas burns the fuel in an oxygen starved environment. Hence the white smoke. This is normal as long as it goes away shortly after start up.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
when was your last oil change? If its been a while since you last used the engine, perhaps you've got some condensation in the lube oil. It should burn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.