White exhaust smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I have a H340. If/when I have that much steam out of my exhaust, my engine is running hotter than it should - usually from some sea grass. Before you start ripping everything apart, I would look at your sea water strainer and associated hoses for an air leak, collapsing hose or debris. It does not take much to raise the temp enough to make some steam but not set off the over temp alarm. Second, I would look for some restriction in the heat exchanger by first pulling off the inlet hose and then maybe the front cover. Next, check in the outlet hose and inside the nipple to see if there is any restriction to the flow.

Aug 5, 2011
Hunter H36 Hampton
John T1594 said:
I have a H340. If/when I have that much steam out of my exhaust, my engine is running hotter than it should - usually from some sea grass. Before you start ripping everything apart, I would look at your sea water strainer and associated hoses for an air leak, collapsing hose or debris. It does not take much to raise the temp enough to make some steam but not set off the over temp alarm. Second, I would look for some restriction in the heat exchanger by first pulling off the inlet hose and then maybe the front cover. Next, check in the outlet hose and inside the nipple to see if there is any restriction to the flow.
Thanks, sounds like great advice. I had a good visual inspection and could not find anything of interest. I just replaced the through hull strainer as it was leaking and everything is in top shape now. In that video, the boat had only been in the water for a few days with a fresh bottom job, so I don't suspect any debris, but will check again.

Steve

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 33 Seaside Park, NJ
Thanks, sounds like great advice. I had a good visual inspection and could not find anything of interest. I just replaced the through hull strainer as it was leaking and everything is in top shape now. In that video, the boat had only been in the water for a few days with a fresh bottom job, so I don't suspect any debris, but will check again.

Steve
Regarding the strainer... I've found I have to hand tighten it as much as I possibly can. Even if it doesn't leak when the engine is not running, it could still suck in air when the engine is running. Then you would see air bubbles in there. I also coat the gasket with vaseline.

Status
Not open for further replies.