White exhaust smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
Is there any water (not steam) that is passing through - couldn't tell if it was belching water as well? Should be a healthy amount of water spitting out of there as well.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
You asked for thoughts:

Is the engine difficult to start? Does it run smoothly? When you run the engine in the slip, do you see an oil sheen on the water? Does the smoke linger, or does it quickly dissipate? Have you noticed any increase in coolant consumption?

I believe that generally, white smoke is either steam or unburnt fuel. If it's steam, it will dissapate quickly and not leave an oil sheen on the water. Likely sources are a head gasket failure, which would result in increased coolant consumption, or a problem with your seawater flow and cooling, which could be anything from a plugged suction screen, missing impeller vanes, clogged heat exchanger or a partially plugged mixing elbow, or anything in between.

Unburnt fuel should make a white smoke cloud that lingers and leaves a fuel sheen on the surface of the water. Possible causes are loss of compression in a cylinder or a bad injector, among others. These could produce hard starting or rough running.

That's where I'd start.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Oh, and to answer your original question, yes, you should be concerned about it. Properly running diesels do not do this. Yours is trying to tell you something.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
This is the same stuff that comes out of your car tail pipe on a cool morning.
We get this "panic" posting EVERY Fall and spring.
The "white smoke" is clearly dissipating as it moves from the boat.
I suspect that if you look down wind you will not see the cloud much further than a boat length and then it disappears. This is just water vapor and is not a problem.

Now if you looked down wind and you saw a persistent smoke that just hung in the air till it was so far away it got lost in the haze you would have true white smoke. It also smells of diesel much more than normal exhaust.

To confirm beyond what I explained above note the air temp. If you never see it on hot dry days and only see it on cool damp ones that is clearly not an engine problem. Also, try running the engine during the heat of the day and note the results.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I don't know much about diesel engine smoke but I thought the inclusion of the video to show the problem was brilliant. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a moving picture worth?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
White smoke is water, bluish is oil and black is fuel. Is the engine running hotter? Check impeller, hoses, coolant level, belts and raw water flow.

Dec 23, 2009
Hunter 310 Sydney
Check your diesel filter / water separator for water in your diesel.

A full metal tank will not get water condensation whereas a halfl full one will generally build up water from condensation within the tank itself.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
I would note Scpharby that all the folks that are saying you have a problem are from southern climes. They probably have never seen "tailpipe smoke" from their cars either.
FWIW

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
I would note Scpharby that all the folks that are saying you have a problem are from southern climes. They probably have never seen "tailpipe smoke" from their cars either.
FWIW
True. If I saw that much smoke from my exhaust here in Florida I'd think my engine was on fire. :) Having said that, if the problem is indeed just condensation, that should be very easy to determine, as the "smoke" should completely disappear when it warms up in the afternoon. Yes?

Jun 6, 2006
That is correct robetsapp
After being on this board for a few years you start to see patterns. With the first chill of fall and early on in spring we get "white smoke" posts. Kinda like the "hunter starter solenoid problem" and others.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
One more thing to check>
Make sure that your compression levers are fully engaged! If you or someone was recently in the engine box and a sleeve got caught on a lever, or you backed off the compression lever to lube the cyl before engaging the lever & starting for the first time this season, you may not have them fully engaged and "Clicked" into position-
check that!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We all know what engine exhaust from condensation looks like and it clears up as soon as the engine expells the humidity from the system. Prolongued water vapor emmission points to flow problems in the cooling system.

Aug 5, 2011
Hunter H36 Hampton
All,

Awesome follow up to my question, and I might add very thought provoking. I can submit the following:

The impeller was just changed in December and this was the first run with it after launch.
The exhaust water flow is perfect, lots of volume and good velocity.
The fuel tank was full when hauled and stored (4 months to the day) and was also treated with Biobor and a drying agent.
The fuel filters (both Racor and inline) were replaced in December.
There was no evidence of water in the Racor when launched (I did a stem to stern visual inspection of everything I could put my eyes on). I will be sure to check it again on Friday.
All belts were changed in December and were tight when launched.
There is not evidence of coolant use, the levels are stable as can be.

I haven't yet considered the mixing elbow, but would be surprised because as I mentioned it is a relatively new boat with only 125 hours or so on it. Could it be an issue already? I am very consistent with running it at 80-90% RPM always.

The main perplexing issue is that if it is indeed simply an issue with condensation (cool morning etc...) it didn't really dissipate thought the day as it warmed up outside. I ran her for about six hours straight, and she ran at perfect temperatures and very steadily. Mind you the water temp is still very cool and it would have remained the same. I should also add the the engine is running like a champ and other than the steam, and there is no evidence of any issue. As with most Yanmars, it runs smooth as silk and fuel consumption is consistent (3/4 gal/hr).

I will try again this weekend and report back.

Thanks to all for you support - what a great community and group we have in this network.

Steve

Aug 5, 2011
Hunter H36 Hampton
Benny17441 said:
We all know what engine exhaust from condensation looks like and it clears up as soon as the engine expells the humidity from the system. Prolongued water vapor emmission points to flow problems in the cooling system.
Flow problems in the cooling system... Which is to say that the closed system is blocked? Where should I investigate?

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 33 Seaside Park, NJ
I have the 3ym30 on my 2005 Hunter 33. I'm no expert, but the last time I saw white smoke was after I cleaned my raw water strainer and did not tighten it well. As other people have suggested, the white smoke could very likely be caused by a problem with the seawater cooling flow.

Aug 5, 2011
Hunter H36 Hampton
Herman18887 said:
I have the 3ym30 on my 2005 Hunter 33. I'm no expert, but the last time I saw white smoke was after I cleaned my raw water strainer and did not tighten it well. As other people have suggested, the white smoke could very likely be caused by a problem with the seawater cooling flow.
Interesting - I just replaced my Raw Water Strainer; I did check it and there weren't any leaks, but will check it again. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
Bill is trying to tell you what the problem is. If the smoke stays, you have a problem. If it goes away, it is steam. No problem. Very simple to understand. Weather... Now if you get it all the time you have water in your combustion chambers which is leaking in from the head gasket. If this is not corrected, the water will drain on down past the cyclinder rings and settle in the oil. Now you have a real problem. Check your oil to see if it is "milky". If it is over the full mark and you have not added any oil to the crank case, you have water in your oil. These are worse case sonarios. Good luck. ;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My H280 exhaust exits under the boat. Would steam or smoke be visible (if there was a problem that smoke would be a sign of)?

I came into my slip a bit too fast once last year and hit the throttle pretty hard in reverse, and there was some white-ish smoke behind my stern. I doubt that was condensation (I am in the Chicago area, but this was in the heat of the summer).

I will be putting the boat in the water in a few weeks, any special engine prep recommended before it is in the sling and splashed?

Greg

Aug 5, 2011
Hunter H36 Hampton
Robert 47 said:
Bill is trying to tell you what the problem is. If the smoke stays, you have a problem. If it goes away, it is steam. No problem. Very simple to understand. Weather... Now if you get it all the time you have water in your combustion chambers which is leaking in from the head gasket. If this is not corrected, the water will drain on down past the cyclinder rings and settle in the oil. Now you have a real problem. Check your oil to see if it is "milky". If it is over the full mark and you have not added any oil to the crank case, you have water in your oil. These are worse case sonarios. Good luck. ;)
Great advise. I spoke with the dealer and he is pointing me towards the mixing elbow. Restricted flow will give steam, which has been corroborated in this thread. What I don't understand is: how would it get restricted? I have put the bulk of the hours on the motor and am religious about running it at 80-90% RPM - so what could it be causing the build up? Clearly there is something here. I will be pulling the exhaust hose and checking to verify if there is indeed restricted flow. Any tip on that job?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.