Whisker Poles - Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

Thank you for all the help on the question on Track. I have now been calibrated. Next question: "Which model whisker pole should I purchase?" The Forespar 2001 catalogue recommends an LC 12'-22' for a 35 foot boat and a LC 10'-18'for a 33 foot boat. These recommedations are for a Genoa under Light to Medium Air. The difference between the poles is the smaller is 2 and 2 1/2 inches in diameter and weighs 17 pounds and the larger is 2 1/2 and 3 inches in diameter and weighs 28 pound. Obviously the larger pole is stronger but 28 pound on a pitching foredeck doesn't sound like fun. On the Hunter 34 has any one used the 2 and 2 1/2 inch whisker pole on a Genoa? What was the strongest winds? Did you think the pole was in danger of failing? Any comments are appreciated. Charlie

R

Robert Dean

The length of a whisker

Charlie, While the free weight of the whisker pole is a consideration, the major factor in your selection is the length of an extended whisker pole as allowed by your local racing rules. As I stated in my other response, the rules here in the Gulf Yachting Associlation for PHRF allow a 1.6"J" - which is a little over 19ft for my HL 35. I have a Forespar 12-22' and it works just great. I have a 150 Genoa for the summer races and the 19' of whisker pole really puts this sail out there when going downwind wing and wing. I also have a whisker pole car track on the fromt of the mast to adjust the height of the mast attachment point. The next issue to address is the set up of the control lines from the cockpit to the genoa/whisker pole. If your boat is like mine, when the wing and wing is set, the jib sheets go up and over the life lines - but not very effectively. So I end up using a control guy outside and under the lifelines. Plus I insist on a preventer on the boom. For a run with a w/w set, HL 35 sails best at 160 degrees off the wind because the boom is limited in its placement, because of the sweep of the spreader bars. Sail on Bob Dean Pensacola, FL HL 35 Sundance

C

Charlie

Response to Captain Dean

Captain Dean, Thankyou for the repeated input. Sometimes I have to hear it twice. If I go to 1.6(J) then I need the 22 ft whisker pole and the diameter no longer governs. Thanks again for your patience. Charlie

R

Ron Barrow

Topping Lift?

Charlie: We also use the "LC12-22" pole on our Hunter 33.5. We have used the pole in conditions ranging from light to 25-30 knots with success. In addition to the pole and track, I would suggest that you add a topping lift to support the weight when deploying the pole and for the imporved ability to trim the genoa in light conditions. The weight of the pole causes the leech of the genoa to become tight and flat. In light air this is not fast. By lifting the pole weight, you obtain the flexability to trim properly. We flew the pole without the lift for a couple of years and it was a big imporvement over the human whisker pole configuration that we had used when going down wind; but, last year we added the lift and it was another leap forward. Good Luck! Ron Counterpoint H33.5

Status
Not open for further replies.