Whisker poles on C-36's

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Visser

Anyone using a whisker pole on a C-36? I'd like to know how you like it, how you mount it (fixed ring, car on track), how you store it (deck, vertical on mast). I looked at the Catalina mast drawings, and the "standard" spinnaker track option is a 1 1/2" x 8' track mounted at 10' (datum is the bottom of the mast; bury is 6'5") which puts is at about 3.5' above the deck to 11.5'. This isn't high enough to store a Forespar LC 12-22 pole, which is 12' exactly pin to pin folded up. Also, I mounted my radar at 18'6", and a halyard organizer at about 8.5' re: datum. So, any thoughts, suggestions are welcome. Thanks, jv link to forespar:

R

Robert Hopkins

Whisker Pole on Deck

John, We store a pole on a couple of clamps mounted to the stantions on the foredeck. I was worried that this was going to be in the way but it has not been a problem so far. It's fairly easly to get to and has stayed in the chocks to this point. One thing to be aware of, is to make sure the telescoping end faces aft so it doesn't fill up with water. The pole attaches to the mast at about shoulder height. The ring is on a track but I have yet to move it. I think the pole is a must if you are going any where close to down wind. I don't know how we lived without it. I also use it if the wind is dead to help keep the sale from slapping.

J

John Visser

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think it will be tough to live without the pole once used. I had a particular downwind experience last year that I could have made great use of the pole. In the end, I ended up rolling up the jib until I could change course. I like the idea of mast storage, but itmight be a problem until I can relocate the radar. I might just get a ring, and go sailing to figure out what height to mount it. What size jib have you? Mine's 135%.

G

George B.

Mast-Mounted Whisker Pole

Last year I installed a 12'-22' adjustable Forespar whisker pole (3"-3 ½" diameter) on my C34. We store the pole on the mast which makes it convenient (and relatively easy) to deploy, stores out of the way and allows you to "dip jibe". I think the pole is too heavy and ungainly to be manhandled from the deck or to do end-for-end jibes, especially with a short handed crew. We were able to obtain a 15' section of "T" track (it is mostly sold in 10' sections) so we have one continuous track. Our rigger said that most of his installations are with multiple sections and that is not a problem as they can get a tight joint between them. To fit the pole under the radome have you considered cutting down the pole by a foot? It is unlikely you'll need the full 22' extension. You can also mount a single deck chock at the base of the mast rather than having both ends attach to the mast. I would also opt for Forespar's heavy duty car. I have personally mangled (as have others) the old ring slides. My new pole uses the socket and toggle system. Likewise, I wouldn't mount a fixed ring. It cannot adjust for different sails or conditions and when you eventually go to "T" track, you'll have empty holes which can only weaken the mast. If anything, your biggest problem will be mounting a topping lift so it doesn't interfere with the radome.

J

John Visser

Never thought of that...

...honestly, cutting down the pole hadn't occurred to me. I'll think about it. How much pole do you need for a 135% genoa on a C-36? I have no idea. I was thinking of using a spare halyard as a topping lift. I might also mount a block underneath where I may someday attach an inner forestay, and use a halyard there for either the pole topping lift or the storm jib. 15' seems like a lot of track. The spec. form Catalina for the 36 is 10'.

G

George B.

Pole Lengths

There is a difference of opinion on the optimum pole setting. Some people say it should be 80% of the sail's LP. Others say 90%. I think it depends upon how you prefer to set the pole position and whether or not you rig fore/after guys to the pole. The pole shouldn't be greater than the sail's LP. I see value in keeping some overlap between the pole's two tubes, which will tend to strengthen it. I have had poor success in poling out an asymmetrical spinnaker so I wouldn't keep the pole long for that purpose.

J

John Visser

Pole lengths, etc.

Nigel Calder's cruising book suggests a pole length of 110% of J. My sail has an LP of 135%; 110% of J is pretty close to 80% of 135. I previously mistated the Catalina standard set-up for the track: it's an 8' 1.25" track mounted starting at 10' up from the bottom of the mast. This puts the top of the track at just about 11.5' off the deck. Storing my pole, a Forespar 12-22, vertically on the mast will require shortening it, though only about 1 foot when folded. This would make it an "11-20" or so, so about 20' fully extended. This is certainly enough for the 135% genoa, may be marginal for a cruising spinnaker. I could store it on deck, I even got a good deal on a used pair of Forespar aluminum chocks, but I'm hesitant to install a toe-stubber. Comments? Thanks, jv

Status
Not open for further replies.