Whisker Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I need to purchase a whisker pole, but am not sure which one would be the best for a Catalina 22. Forespare makes several models: 4 to 8 foot adjustable with a spike on the sail end and clip for the mast 6 to 12 foot adjustable with a spike and mast clip Is one of these two the best choice or another pole? Thanks, David

R

RonD

The pole length is determined by the dimensions of your jib, primarily the foot. The pole diameter is determined by the compression loading, which is driven by jib sail area & the types of wind conditions expected. Forespar's website has excellent guidance on determining the correct pole size. Admittedly, there are (at times) bewildering choices regarding the pole-end fittings and mounting hardware. On a 22ft boat, you might not have much usable deck area for storage so consider a vertical mast storage option. I suggest you post this question to the "Sail Trim" Expert Forum. DonG could offer some advice, and those who use a whisker pole regularly can join the discussion as well. I'm sure that everyone has an opinion or two, and they won't be unified! --RonD

P

Pete Peterson

Some observations

David, Ron is right, go to the Forespar web site and look at all of the applicable pages for whisker poles, including hardware and mounting. Having just installed a Forespar whisker pole on my 320, with mast storage, here are some observations. The extended length of the pole should be about equal to the foot of your largest foresail. Keep in mind that you may at some point want a larger sail than your present jib/genoa (I bought a large light air drifter), so go a little longer on the extended length. The pole diameter is set more or less by the boat size, so follow Forespar's recommendation. Mast storage is a pain since you have to mount a track on the mast to a sufficient height to accommodate the shortened length of the pole, plus mount a block above and below the track for an uphaul/downhaul system to control the height of the car holding the inboard end of the pole. The track may also be too large to accommodate on the 22's mast. Deck or stanchion storage may be best for you. As for mounting to the mast, gauging the correct height for the mounting fixture will be tricky since it shoud be at about a right angle to the mast when fully deployed. Perhaps you can do it on a quiet day at the dock. For the pole ends, call Forespar and get their recommendation. Good luck.

R

Randy

HD 6-12

I called Catalina Direct (they also sell Forespar) and they recommended the HD 6-12 model that has eye catches at both ends. It is more sturdy than the two examples you listed. I got mine and it works fine. Forespar strongly recommends that you do not store twist-lock poles outside, they need to be kept inside when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.