Whisker Pole

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
Hope someone can provide a bit of insight regarding whisker pole selection for a 2010 H31. I’m not an extreme sailor and don’t race…….unless I’m going the same direction as another boat…….. the boat is used for weekending and summer trips of a couple of weeks, and I’m really finished with sailing in heavy weather…..at least I don’t do it intentionally. The boat has a standard B and R rig with a 100 % jib.….the foot of the jib is 11 feet. Would anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not I need a “line control” pole or a tension lock…..and the length, and any other other comments you may have to offer.
any help or comments would really be appreciated

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The basic rule of thumb for an adjustable whisker pole is from J to 1.5J. So for your boat that would be 11' to 16.5' Forespar makes a 10'-18' which would be about right. On my C30 tall rig I have a 12-22. My J is 13.16 and a 150% genoa has an Lp of 19.74'

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OP doesn't need longer than the foot length by very much. I'd think 12' would be adequate. If I remember my H 356 had a 12' pole and that was fine. I'm not sure it was adjustable.
I absolutely think all Marconi rigged sailors flying Jib & Main should have one - even non racers. The jib sail trim will be better off the wind.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have a Forespar “heavy duty” twist lock 7-15’ on a 37’ boat. It’s definitely undersized but it does go all the way to our J length and is fine for winds up to 12 knots or so (most days around here). The twist lock is ok, but not as nice as line control. The twist lock mechanism sometimes binds a little, and rain sometimes gets in the seals and makes it hard to open or close. Not critical problems but annoying when you want to drop the pole quickly at the end of a run during a race.

Nov 19, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Wickford Cove, Rhode Island
I appreciate the replies herein as I had the same question and the input is very applicable. Great to have these forums.
So thanks:)
Russ
H28.5 Narragansett Bay