Whisker Pole

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
A couple of times this past season I had decided to use my Whisker Pole on "Penelope" to hold out Her Head Sail but never having mounted the "Pad Eye" I just used a short piece of cord for this purpose. My question is where is the proper location for the placement of the Pad Eye? Is the Cabin Roof acceptable or Should it attach to the Mast? If it goes on the Mast, How high?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The ring for the whisker pole typically goes on the mast. Height is not critical for a whisker pole however try to keep the pole level with (horizontal to) the water. Base the height on where the clew of the sail will be when using the pole.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I agree with DArcy's comment, but also, you could install a track at the leading edge of the mast and then have a car with which to click the inboard end of the whisker pole. The car can be adjusted up or down providing adjustability for various size headsails, or furled headsails, etc. And.....if you ever buy a spinnaker, then you are ready for a spinnaker pole too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you ever plan to race the pole MUST be mounted to the face of the mast.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There probably should be two rings/eyes, respectively mounted on the port and starboard radii of the mast facing out 45 deg; not one only in dead center. This so the whisker pole can be fully trimmed aft w/o binding in one center eye. This was the configuration on my 1979 Pearson 30.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There probably should be two rings/eyes, respectively mounted on the port and starboard radii of the mast; not one only in dead center. This so the whisker pole can be fully trimmed aft w/o binding in one center eye. This was the configuration on my 1979 Pearson 30.
How do you get the pole far enough back to where it would bind without hitting the shrouds first? With the eye on my mast the pole can easily go back as far as the shrouds without binding. I wouldn’t want it any further back anyway. The best angle for projection is straight out or maybe a little forward of that depending on AWA.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don’t have the boat now, so cannot refresh myself as to your point, which is a good one. However, the end piece of the pole fit snugly in the pad-eyes, so not much play. The eyes were also thick with strong shoulders; not the thin little rings on a strap we see on-line today. I’m pretty sure there was a pair. I’ll look for a picture.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The ring for the whisker pole typically goes on the mast. Height is not critical for a whisker pole however try to keep the pole level with (horizontal to) the water. Base the height on where the clew of the sail will be when using the pole.
:plus:

Oct 8, 2016
Thanks everyone for replying to this. I will mount on the Mast probably higher than I first thought taking into consideration the posts I'm reading. Is there any value maybe into putting a temporary down haul on the Clew to keep the Pole closer to parallel with the water?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Thanks everyone for replying to this. I will mount on the Mast probably higher than I first thought taking into consideration the posts I'm reading. Is there any value maybe into putting a temporary down haul on the Clew to keep the Pole closer to parallel with the water?
Maybe I missed it, but why parallel to the water.... for what purpose? You want to be able to trim it in ralaion to the other saild, not the water.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
When using a whisker pole on a Genoa you generally don't need a down haul. The clew should be much higher downwind than upwind. In light air it can be beneficial to have a topping lift (uphaul) to keep the clew up.
If you do find the clew rising too much in heavy wind you can usually fix this by changing the sheeting angle, bring the sheet lead forward.
As mentioned above, ideally you would have a track on the mast to keep the inboard end at the same height as the outboard end but, for a whisker pole, you really won't gain much by doing that since you mostly only use it on a deep reach or run.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We use a spinnaker halyard as a topping lift. The sheet holds the clew down somewhat so there’s no need for an extra downhaul.

Maybe I missed it, but why parallel to the water.... for what purpose? You want to be able to trim it in ralaion to the other saild, not the water.
Parallel to the water provides the maximum extension. It also prevents the pole end from trying to fly up or down when compression loads increase if the pole isn’t horizontal. That’s not as big of a deal on a whisker pole as it is on a more highly loaded spinnaker pole, but still best practice.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I made 2 marks on my mast. One for the pole to be even with the Genoa and a second to be even with my code 0.

I use a foreguy. I have an extra line organizer so I ran the foreguy thru that and to a block at the stemhead. I have a stopper knot in the guy so I cannot accidently smack the carbon fiber pole into the stays. When furling in the sail, the foreguy helps keep the pole tamed.

Oct 8, 2016
I'm glad I posted this question. A seemingly simple issue gave me quite an education. If I tried to understand this from reading a book etc I probably would of missed out on some of the nuances with this. So I'll purchase a T-track and a slider then mount it on the front of the Mast high enough to give plenty of adjustment.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It should be about level because that is where you get the greatest extension. To do that it should be mounted to the front of the mast. Also, that is probably the strongest place. I use the lazy sheet as a downhaul by looping it under a forward cleat and then pulling it tight from the cockpit. This gives the best sail shape.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’ve seen folks running wing’n’wing with the pole angled upward, so the clew of genoa is raised high. I presume this is based on the idea that the higher above the water, the better the wind, etc. Get that extra little push, etc.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I’ve seen folks running wing’n’wing with the pole angled upward, so the clew of genoa is raised high. I presume this is based on the idea that the higher above the water, the better the wind, etc. Get that extra little push, etc.
Not so must to get the sail higher. I set the height of the clew to keep all of the tell-tails flowing. at the sail it eased out a long way, you need to raise the clew to keep proper shape in the top of the sail.