Whisker Pole Technique

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Any of you guys have a good video that shows proper whisker pole technique. It's one of many items I would like to improve upon in racing this year and I would like to be able to teach by young crew. Thanks in advance

PS: @Bill19233 I miss your posts you need to give us an update!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Go to YouTube and search "whisker pole", Forespar has a good video.
Not sure what you want me to update, my last post in the racing forum just a couple weeks ago is a race video with a clip of how not use a whisker pole. I have a soft shackle on the clew of the jib to make it easier to attach an outboard sheet on reaches. In the video, I put the whisker pole end in the soft shackle instead of over the jib sheet, so it was locked on the clew when the helm turned up and the jib jibed, I was pinned against the mast by the pole.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/hunter-owners-on-the-race-course.190962/
And, the whisker pole had been working great on my code 0 and code 3 A-sails when running. But, I have since found out it is against racing rules to use a whisker pole or any device, including a person's arm, leg, or whatever, to support the clew of an A-sail. Not sure of the exact wording, but a whisker pole can only be used with a jib, and a spinnaker pole can only be used with a symmetrical spinnaker. May have to do with an A-sail tack already out on a bowsprit.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I'll check the forespar channel on YouTube. Thanks for the advice.

As for updating I figured you were racing weekly or so and thought you made a video every race. I enjoy watching your races and your struggles with the pole is what had me ask the question.

On my cat 22 I am still finding the right pole length for the different sails and placing of the pole. With the 150 it seems that the pole should be between the forward shroud and the cap shroud but that seems wrong.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX

As for updating I figured you were racing weekly or so and thought you made a video every race. I enjoy watching your races and your struggles with the pole is what had me ask the question.

On my cat 22 I am still finding the right pole length for the different sails and placing of the pole. With the 150 it seems that the pole should be between the forward shroud and the cap shroud but that seems wrong.
You're right, the pole needs to be forward of the shrouds, just real long to get the clew of a 150 extended out. Somebody's got to have the pole length you need listed somewhere.

Had a practice race last Sunday, came in 8 out of 9. Another practice race this Sunday and next Saturday, then probably no racing till the Rum Races start June 2nd. There is a mixed doubles "Divorce Cup" on May 27th, but I probably won't be able to talk her into it after she saw the 25 knot winds in the last race video.
Here's about a minute from the race:
A video another boat made of Sunday's race:
A powerboat got a little close right after the start, his wake just about stopped us and I'm blaming our poor finish on him:
IMG_1749.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis

For your Catalina 22, use a 12 foot pole, and it is placed forward of the lower-forward shroud.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
For your Catalina 22, use a 12 foot pole, and it is placed forward of the lower-forward shroud.

My pole is adjustable so should I just mark it at 12 feet for the 150? Also is there a set length for the 110 as well?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Another update for you, @LakeShark We've done "Peanut Regattas" the last three weekends including last Saturday. We did pretty bad in all three, but had a great time. Can't seem keep the main halyard tight for the whole race. Need to work on the clutch before the Rum Races start.
After Saturday's race, we motored through Waterford to show the girls my son brought along the "Wanderer" from Captain Ron. I think it's the one they used for the sailing scenes in the movie.
I threw together some clips and photos taken on the boat and shots from other boats I found online.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Looks like a fun time. I always wondered what happened to the Captain Ron boats. Looks like it is still needing some repairs.
As to the main do you have a cleat you can use to backup the clutch in case of failure or no? Even if you did not place well any day on the water is a great day. I am just about done repairing my boat from the long winter and hope to hit the lake in the next week or so for my first shakedown and test sail. The raining spring here has really showed everything to a crawl and I had to redo my main bulkheads this spring.