Whisker Pole, Mast Track, and Ring

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Here's the track I installed, all you really need is about 2' of adjustment, but I thought about storing the pole on mast.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Well, the whisker pole, track, car project just got put on hold. I went out in a club race yesterday, and managed to rip the vang fitting on the mast out, breaking the fitting in the process. I had it vanged down hard, wind at 60 degrees, 19 knots, when a 25 knot gust hit. Pop, out it came. We were debating reefing at the time. Guess we should have ended the debate earlier and got on with it. The thing is just pop riveted to the mast, but I need to get a new fitting.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Well, the whisker pole, track, car project just got put on hold. I went out in a club race yesterday, and managed to rip the vang fitting on the mast out, breaking the fitting in the process. I had it vanged down hard, wind at 60 degrees, 19 knots, when a 25 knot gust hit. Pop, out it came. We were debating reefing at the time. Guess we should have ended the debate earlier and got on with it. The thing is just pop riveted to the mast, but I need to get a new fitting.
The old adage is "if you start to think its time reef; REEF!" Or words to that effect

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I use a carbon fiber windsurfing mast on a track with a tang on the end poked through the clue ring. Very light and easy to deploy and retract. Had a similar setup on my Hunter legend 37 worked great as were were hauling up a loose luff in non spin.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Most boats do not like to sail on that angle (close reach) when its blowing. We call it the 'nasty angle'. It's hard on the crew, and the boat. We'll often bear off and reach lower for awhile, and if we don't get lifted in time, turn up and finish the leg close hauled.

When you are vang sheeted in a breeze like that, you have to have someone on the vang 100% of the time with the line uncleated and ready to play. When a puff hits and you don't ease, the boom REALLY loads up. Its a gear buster for sure.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Couldn't bear off. We were on port tack, exactly parallel to the shoreline in 12 to 15 ft of water. Just 50 yards to starboard the shallows (4-2 ft) were clearly visible. I was stupid!!!!