Whisker pole length for Hunter 41

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 41 Boston
Hi Guys,

I’d like to buy a telescopic whisker pole for my hunter 41 - to use with my standard furling jib and my smallish asymmetric cruising gennaker.

I see that Forespar recommends the 13-24 ft model for 41 foot boats. However, I suspect that maybe that’s an overkill for me (particularly given the forward placement of my mast) - and it’s a lot more expensive than the 12-22 ft model (the 10-19 foot model is even cheaper).

By my calculations, I wouldn’t really need more than 18 feet to pole out my furling jib. But I can’t quite figure out if I am right, and of course I will need at least a few more feet for the gennaker.

What length should I get if I don’t really plan on using it for a racing spinnaker?

Thank you.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Get the smaller one. Who'll know the difference? The range of extension is more than adequate.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a fixed whisker pole as I use an Asym Spin. I have a 110 jib, my sail maker told me that according to PHRF rules your whisker pole can not be longer than your LP, which is 14.3 so I had a carbon fiber one piece pole made which is 14'. It allows me to use it in regattas and any other day I choose. It only weighs 8 lbs! It was a stupid amount of money though. :D

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 41 Boston
No, usually you wouldn’t. But if you are running a whisker pole is used to keep a forward sail from flopping. Helps to butterfly.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I left a detailed message on the other thread as to the length of my whisker pole. 14' fixed. This allows for uncontested use in a race and is a proper size for my 110 jib.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
i would like to make one whisker pole myself, but i am not sure to go 21/2 inch or 3 ? Val wich size did you buy ?

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 41 Boston
I didn’t buy one yet. Still trying to figure it out. I don’t think my needs to be very strong, so 2.5 inches should be ok.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
yes i think flying a gennaker or a jib can be done with a very small size, but i will go with a little more of j size i think one foot more.

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter SD SD 41 St.Simons Island, GA
How to fasten on to the mast. I think jib pole on 41 DS is 17 feet, foot of jib is 16.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
For cruising use with both job and asymm, an adjustable whisker pole that goes from100 to 150% will cover the range you need for cruising.

For phrf racing there are limitation on length of the spinnaker pole to 100% in spinnaker class.

The allowable Length of a whisker pole used in non-spinnaker (JAM) racing varies by regional. Some regional phrf allow whisker poles of 125% for JAM. Check with your local phrf committee.

Put the mast ring at the height of the clew when the sail is winged out, so the pole is horizontal.

Don’t use a whisker pole on the tack of the asymm, only on the clew. The loads on the clew are much lower than the loads on the tack. If you want to pole out the asymm tack to windward, like you would with a symmetric spinnaker pole, you’ll need a stronger pole to resist higher buckling loads.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The length of the foot on an all purpose asymm cruising spinnaker would be 160% of J or bigger. But a whisker pole ( from mast to asymm clew) of 150% * J is big enough to get the job done and is more practical.

But the rule of thumb about whisker pole should be length of the foot is a very rough approximation.. The significant dimension is the distance fro the clew to the mast, when the sail is winged out as far as you want when the pole horizontal. Thus, the length varies with the height of the clew as well as the LP.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019
Hunter SD SD 41 St.Simons Island, GA
Thank you from you help, I'll wonder how hard is connecting 17' pole at less it is telescoping type ??