Whisker pole for an O'Day 28 - which one

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
I see on Defender and West Marin the whisker pole recommended for my O'Day 28 is a Forespar either ADJ7-15' or LC 10-18'. They (as well as Forespar) advise the 10-18 if you may encounter moderate to hear winds while sail downwind and the 7-15 for light - medium winds. the 7-15 cost $450 and the 10-18 cost over $1100. Hopefully both could store vertically on the mast. My furling Genoa reefed tight clew to mast measurement is 10'. Hate to spend $1100 on this. Thoughts?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhhhmmm. So, we'll call light - medium winds under 18 Kts. That includes a typical sea breeze which in DC may not really exist. Heavy winds I would call 18+. And going dead downwind in 18 kts. will only be 13 kts. felt on the boat. I think the cheaper one would be OK. Sailing DDW in 18+ Kts. might be a little sporty with regard to an accidental jibe. Are you prepared to rig a preventer? '
I'm missing the point about measuring your Genoa to a 10' foot with a tight furl. But if that's how you manage your sailplane going down wind the pole is only going to be about 10' long and will be essentially two tubes together. It "Should be" strong enough. Your results may vary. And if it breaks you've saved enough money for a new one.
For awhile I used a boat pole for a wicker pole on my H356. The pole didn't fail but since I attached it to the strut bolt, the bolt bent.
If you only going to use the pole at that 10' length you may use a wooden pole. You may find on in a marine scrap yard or even be able to make one out of spruce. It wouldn't cost $450.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm not that keen on spending the big bucks unless I'm absolutely sure I needed the high end adjustable model. A fixed length that you made yourself would only cost a couple hundred.... if you find it less than desired .... you haven't lost a lot and won't feel that bad about springing for the fancy one. Chances are, however, you'll be happy with the simple pole and find something else to spend the money on.