While trying to figure out an electrical issue yesterday, I found these.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The engine does make an alarm sound when I turn the key, but before I start the engine, and when I start the engine it turns off.
That's normal. It's just because there's no oil pressure in the engine before it starts. You can think of that as a test for the alarm.
a little toggle switch (and I have no idea what this does)
Possibly a way to turn on the glow plugs. You'd use those for about 10 seconds to warm the engine before starting it in very low temperatures.
I don't see a temp gauge there. Should I have one fitted so that this doesn't happen again?
If you continue to have overheating issues you could have a gauge added. In the meantime you could just pick up a cheap laser thermometer (like $20 at harbor freight) and shoot it at the coolant pump. The pump is probably the thing attached to the smallest pulley on the front of the engine. Try shooting it a few times as the engine is warming up to see how it works, then shoot it if the alarm goes off. Normal temp is probably about 160-180 F. Just be careful not to get too close to the spinning belt when checking.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
That's normal. It's just because there's no oil pressure in the engine before it starts. You can think of that as a test for the alarm.

Possibly a way to turn on the glow plugs. You'd use those for about 10 seconds to warm the engine before starting it in very low temperatures.

If you continue to have overheating issues you could have a gauge added. In the meantime you could just pick up a cheap laser thermometer (like $20 at harbor freight) and shoot it at the coolant pump. The pump is probably the thing attached to the smallest pulley on the front of the engine. Try shooting it a few times as the engine is warming up to see how it works, then shoot it if the alarm goes off. Normal temp is probably about 160-180 F. Just be careful not to get too close to the spinning belt when checking.
OH, you just reminded me - I have a thermal imaging camera. I can take a picture of the engine with it to see if something is overheating. Had you not mentioned pointing a laser at it, I never would have remembered. Thank you!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I assume you have the Yanmar 3YM20 engine, like my 2006 323? On the inst panel, there would be a row of icons. When the alarm sounds, a light should come on behind one of the icons to tell the oil is low, or the engine is hot, and/or a couple other things, IIRC. The toggle switch MIGHT be to shut off the alarm but you should not leave it off, just when you start the engine. That's so you don't annoy your slip neighbors. The glow plug is part of the ignition switch on my "B" panel.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The toggle switch is the panel light. No glow plugs on this engine. Get a manual for the engine..... Wealth of information.
Good luck
Greg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You most likely have bits of that broken impeller blocking your engine heat exchanger. The lack of water discharge is a tell. Have the cooling system pulled apart and cleaned/inspected, overheating really shortens the life of an engine.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
I assume you have the Yanmar 3YM20 engine, like my 2006 323? On the inst panel, there would be a row of icons. When the alarm sounds, a light should come on behind one of the icons to tell the oil is low, or the engine is hot, and/or a couple other things, IIRC. The toggle switch MIGHT be to shut off the alarm but you should not leave it off, just when you start the engine. That's so you don't annoy your slip neighbors. The glow plug is part of the ignition switch on my "B" panel.
I had a quick look, it's a 2GM20F.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
You most likely have bits of that broken impeller blocking your engine heat exchanger. The lack of water discharge is a tell. Have the cooling system pulled apart and cleaned/inspected, overheating really shortens the life of an engine.
Ah, this makes sense. I'll have to get the boat yard to sort this out. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A lot of great info on this site including the manuals for the engine.. in the blue bar at page top, click on "Owner Resources" then on "General Downloads" .. scroll down to Yanmar section.. You can put the pertinent stuff onto a tablet so it can be with ya on the boat..
Other great info there on winches, and other boat systems..
Good idea to get intimate with the sea water pump and how to change an impeller, cause that is one thing that will happen to ya while underway.. Belt tension for the raw water pump is critical as is belt tension for the other belt that drives the alternator and engine coolant pump..

Last edited:

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Get a manual for every piece of gear on the boat.
This is one of the projects I'm working on now. I'm beginning to realize just how much I do not know about my boat. Scary, but exciting all at the same time.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
A lot of great info on this site including the manuals for the engine.. in the blue bar at page top, click on "Owner Resources" then on "General Downloads" .. scroll down to Yanmar section.. You can put the pertinent stuff onto a tablet so it can be with ya on the boat..
Other great info there on winches, and other boat systems..
Good idea to get intimate with the sea water pump and how to change an impeller, cause that is one thing that will happen to ya while underway.. Belt tension for the raw water pump is critical as is belt tensin for the other belt that drives the alternator and engine coolant pump..
Thanks for the info. I had no idea all of this was available on here. You guys are so lovely.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes she did Kermie. One could get use to it, even like it. It is so civilized.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had no idea that library was there!
I have uploaded a few manuals there myself. Ones that were hard to find, for sure. You too can upload in PDF style manual to share with others.
The one I have seen used very often, in the forae, is the Jabsco Manual Head.

______
Scary, but exciting all at the same time.
When we got our boat, I was intimidated by all the complexity. It took us about 6 months and a lot of knowledge and help from many great contributors to the SBO site. I turned to the Admiral and said...

"I am now in Command of our boat! I got this!"

It was bit by bit, routine checks, spares for critical items, and soon it will be second nature.

Example: It took about 30 minutes to tie up in berth, now 5 minutes.:clap: We can berth, clean up, get the garbage and get off the boat in 30 minutes total. We can provision and launch for a weekend sail in 45 minutes.

More fun sailing....
Jim...

PS: It was NOT the sailing part that was "scary" but it was the other stuff we had no clue about.;)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
When accumulating manuals, there are two for the engine. One is the Operators Manual, the other is the Service Manual. It would be a good idea to have both, even if you plan to let the yard do all the work. The yard is not out sailing with you if the motor quits.