While trying to figure out an electrical issue yesterday, I found these.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all of your help. Your advice is invaluable.

Yesterday while trying to track down an electrical issue, which seems to be a missing prong on a shore power receptacle that will be replaced later this week, I found these things behind the main electrical switches on the nav station.

Is this a good thing?

Thanks!

Attachments

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
No no no!!! Those are horrible things!!! Take them out and mail them to me immediately for proper recycling!!! You owe it to your country and the environment.
Sure thing, I'll get right on that.

But what do they do?

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Splitter shares your FM radio antenna and the AIS Receiver is the newest ship Identifier on your Raymarine Plotter.
Jim...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sure thing, I'll get right on that.

But what do they do?
No... no... don't send them to the frog. Send them to me. And the hardware connected that is on the outside of the boat. Wait, just send me the boat. We'll call it even.

By the way, nice windfall!

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Splitter shares your FM radio antenna and the AIS Receiver is the newest ship Identifier on your Raymarine Plotter.
Jim...
Thanks Jim. Does this send my location to other boats too?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
No... no... don't send them to the frog. Send them to me. And the hardware connected that is on the outside of the boat. Wait, just send me the boat. We'll call it even.

By the way, nice windfall!
You guys are so funny, I'm giggling like mad here. Hubby is staring at me wondering how on earth sailing can be funny.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don't know that specific model for sure, but the reciever probably is just that. A tranciever would be two-way.

When the devices are turned on if your chartplotter is properly configured you should see icons indicating where other ships are, particularly commercial ships that are required to broadcast AIS. They won't see you in the same way though.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A nice neat installation. Not the usual PO mess that most of us see. Is the rest of the boat as well maintained?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
A nice neat installation. Not the usual PO mess that most of us see. Is the rest of the boat as well maintained?
Unfortunately she was completely dismasted when the boat next to her sunk and it's mast got tangled in my boat's mast. So I've ordered all new rigging along with a new mast from Beneteau.

The hull was pretty beat up. Lots of 'dock rash' (that's what the boat yard says) and a few cracks through her hull. Thankfully, after a lot of time and money, her hull looks brand new.

I managed to motor her across the potomac the other day; all systems seemed to work other than the speedometer thingy. But the autopilot worked, as did the depth thingy.

One odd thing was that an engine alarm started blaring half way across and I had no idea what it was. Only when I turned the engine off did the alarm go away.

The inside is in good shape, though I'm sanding down all the wood and revarnishing everything. The varnishing is a job I wish I hadn't started, but I'm sure it will be lovely when it's done.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
the 350 is receive only - it has NMEA 183 and Seatalkng output. It does not transmit anything.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
One odd thing was that an engine alarm started blaring half way across and I had no idea what it was. Only when I turned the engine off did the alarm go away.
That sounds like something you'll want to look into. The engine alarm is usually due to low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. Overheating is probably the more common reason. Check that there's a good flow of water from your exhaust. If not You could have a blockage in the water intake filter or your cooling water impeller could be missing some vanes.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The splitter shares the AIS data reception with the VHF antenna, not FM.
For the engine alarm issue, you may want to start a different thread.
Did you open the raw water intake?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
That sounds like something you'll want to look into. The engine alarm is usually due to low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. Overheating is probably the more common reason. Check that there's a good flow of water from your exhaust. If not You could have a blockage in the water intake filter or your cooling water impeller could be missing some vanes.
Ah, that makes sense. I just had the impeller changed out, and the guy that changed it out said that there was a broken impeller blade in the hose. I did ask him if there were any other impeller blades in the engine or anything and he said no, but I wasn't convinced.

When I ran the engine, there wasn't much water coming out of the exhaust. I guess I need to have a different yard have a look at it.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@HanBan fortunate find for your electronics. Not so good discover "blaring horn thingy".
Look to engine cooling.
Temp should be around 150 to 180 for most engines. You should see a temp gauge on the engine panel. When the temp exceeds 180-190 the alarm should sound. This means stop the engine and find out why the engine is over heating.
  1. No water flow through the heat exchanger means no water cooling the engine (think car radiator only water instead of air).
    1. The Water Thru Hull not open.
    2. Or something is blocking the water line
      1. Intake strainer blocked
      2. Raw Water strainer is clogged.
        ARG Series Raw Water Strainer
        ARG_Series_Main_Image_smaller_4.jpg
        THE CONCEPT
        For installation on the suction side of engines and pumps, GROCO ARG Series raw water strainers are the ideal filtration solution for cooling water intakes for any marine engine, ac unit, or genset.

3. Hose blocked by piece of impeller
    3. Impeller damaged not pumping water.
  2. No engine coolant (must be leaking out of system) to take the heat from the engine to the heat exchanger (think antifreeze on the ground not in the car engine).

You should also see an oil pressure gauge. When you start the engine it should sound. When the engine is running it should stop. When the oil pressure drops to danger level it should sound again. STOP engine and check the oil level. Replace as needed.

You should check the oil level every time before your start the engine each day.

Like Goldilocks your engine wants... Never too much. Never to little. Always just right.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
@HanBan fortunate find for your electronics. Not so good discover "blaring horn thingy".
Look to engine cooling.
Temp should be around 150 to 180 for most engines. You should see a temp gauge on the engine panel. When the temp exceeds 180-190 the alarm should sound. This means stop the engine and find out why the engine is over heating.
  1. No water flow through the heat exchanger means no water cooling the engine (think car radiator only water instead of air).
    1. The Water Thru Hull not open.
    2. Or something is blocking the water line
      1. Intake strainer blocked
      2. Raw Water strainer is clogged.
        ARG Series Raw Water Strainer
        View attachment 149934
        THE CONCEPT
        For installation on the suction side of engines and pumps, GROCO ARG Series raw water strainers are the ideal filtration solution for cooling water intakes for any marine engine, ac unit, or genset.

3. Hose blocked by piece of impeller
    3. Impeller damaged not pumping water.
  2. No engine coolant (must be leaking out of system) to take the heat from the engine to the heat exchanger (think antifreeze on the ground not in the car engine).

You should also see an oil pressure gauge. When you start the engine it should sound. When the engine is running it should stop. When the oil pressure drops to danger level it should sound again. STOP engine and check the oil level. Replace as needed.

You should check the oil level every time before your start the engine each day.

Like Goldilocks your engine wants... Never too much. Never to little. Always just right.
Again, thank you so much for all the advice.

Before I set off across the river, I checked the oil level and it was at the top line on the little dipstick. The engine does make an alarm sound when I turn the key, but before I start the engine, and when I start the engine it turns off.

The big strainer thing was swapped out for new a month ago, and while that was being done, they recommended we put a new impeller in just to be sure - so we did. When they were fitting the new impeller, they found bits of an old one in there. I hope this isn't the problem.

The engine panel seems to have a fuel gauge, a rev gauge, a little toggle switch (and I have no idea what this does), a key hole, a button to start and then a T toggle to pull when I want to stop the engine. I don't see a temp gauge there. Should I have one fitted so that this doesn't happen again?

If any of you are ever over at Solomons or Pax River, I sure owe you all a bunch of beers.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@HanBan, for sure you have come to the right place. If it hasn't been said before, welcome aboard.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The engine panel seems to have a fuel gauge, Great
a rev gauge, Lets call that a Tachometer. It displays the engine RPM (revolutions per minute)
a little toggle switch (and I have no idea what this does), I would flick it on and off to see what happens. Perhaps it turns engine panel light on and off.
a key hole, a button to start and then a T toggle to pull when I want to stop the engine.

I don't see a temp gauge there. Should I have one fitted so that this doesn't happen again?

It is your boat and your choice. Not required. Not an expensive item in boat dollars maybe $30. You will need to check if you have a sensor on your engine. One of the Yanmar guys here can help. People get by with the alarm warning them others want to know the numbers. I'm sure your husband checked the engine temps on his plane when he flew.