While Sailing I and crew sail based on good food.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am away form Everett for the next few days.

Had a great start, sailed out of Everett and past the ferries at Mukilteo down Possession Sounds till the wind changed.
37BFE42F-4337-46BD-840B-444868AC0C73.jpeg

Ended up using the iron jenny for an hour as I crossed the Sound into the wind.

Snugged up on a slip in Port of Kingston for a night. Gave me a chance to see if the Onion Rings at the FuelStop Bar/Grill were as good as I thought they were last February. They were, and the beer was a Red Ale that made the rings go down smoothly.
58951534129__89429562-DA37-4D5A-ADD5-6AA25544C418.JPG

Feeling a bit gulilty, I also had a house salad. It was delicious.

Too bad the Mariners were getting beat by the Astros. Well you can't have everything. Topping the night off I see that Mora (a great ice cream place I found in Poulsbo) has located a store in Kingston. Their ice cream is to die for. Baileys Irish Cream Coffee Ice cream - small scoop in a cup. Mmmmmmmm. Sorry no pictures. Too good, ate it before I could get a picture.

Felt spoiled getting such good wind to sail. Saw lots of sail boats out enjoying the day. Wondered... Shouldn't these folk be working? Boat was cruising at 6.2 under main and small Jib. Did a couple of cross tacks with a Thunderbird 26. Balanced my sails in about 11 knots and clear skies. Little Auto Pilot was just chugging along. Keeping course.

Tomorrow either Gig Harbor or Port Orchard.

Gig Harbor will be like taking my boat back to one of her homes. She was moored in Gig Harbor back in the late 90's

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
That's going to be quite a run. You'll have the flood until 1300 as well as the wind (what little they forecast) at your back.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Lunch on the first day underway for us is nearly always a homemade tuna salad sammich on whole wheat, a cold bottle of Sierra Nevada pale ale, and a few Doritos chips. Somehow, it just works! :) Wish we were following right behind ya!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I am away form Everett for the next few days.
Well, John, while you were sailing and then gulping your swill and gnawing on some onion rings, I had the joy of taking 150 kids (K-12) to school on their first day Wednesday. Bwah!

I thought Les was going to join you. What happed, or is he catching up? Poulsbo aways a nice stop.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
With @jssailem its like a girl in every port but with him it’s good food and good beer in every port.
Myself, after a great 7 hour sail covering 37 miles with @Scott T-Bird and his wife, I just finished a tomato & garlic pizza. Dessert is a dark chocolate raspberry ice cream and some EC bourbon.
Poor Sue and Scott missed out, having to drive home tonight.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
With @jssailem its like a girl in every port but with him it’s good food and good beer in every port.
Myself, after a great 7 hour sail covering 37 miles with @Scott T-Bird and his wife, I just finished a tomato & garlic pizza. Dessert is a dark chocolate raspberry ice cream and some EC bourbon.
Poor Sue and Scott missed out, having to drive home tonight.
We will be changing Johns habits next summer, Ward. The plan to sail around Vancouver Island is in the works, we will be places with no pubs or even docks. John will learn to cook and anchor. Or at least he’ ll get a lot more practise at it.

Oct 22, 2014
EC Bourbon - only the best for you.

Well I got a late start out of Kingston this AM. Playing on the Internet, talking to fellow marina boaters about their “new to me” boats, talking to @JamesG161 about weather, and having to wash the bow of some of the a Everett grime that happens around construction zones. I released the lines and rode the last of the flooding tide and northeast breeze pushed me south at about 6 knots. Seattle came into view. I gave a shout out to Phil to step onto his porch give me a wave. He said his house could not see Seattle. I avoided Blakely Rock that is awash at high tide but is a mountain beneath the waters. Fired up the Iron Genny, and turned into the passage around Bainbridge island.

Yesterday I saw a pair of grey whales as I crossed the Sound. They spied and spouted as I cruised through their feeding ground. Today I was greeted by a group of dolphin. You never know what you might see on the Sound.

The spirit of @Stu Jackson seems to have touched S/V Hadley, because as soon as I rounded the Red Channel buoy, to enter the passage to Bremerton Port Orchard, I was faced with a Washington ferry on my reciprocal bearing. Of course following the ColRegs I executed a 90 degree turn to Starboard. We passed like ships do in confined waters port to port 0.1nm separation.

But then in true Stu fashion I was greeted by a second ferry coming up behind. Thanks Stu for teaching me they always come in Threes. About 30 minutes later the Bremerton ferry leaves the terminal and starts heading towards me. This time I was skirting the east side of the sound and there were no conflicts.

I arrived in Port Orchard. Met a fellow walking along the water trail. Gave me the lowdown on the mothball fleet here. The Kitty Hawk is in mothballs awaiting scrap. The Carl Vincent USS 68 is in the yard getting refurbished. And the Lincoln he thinks is getting a paint job. It’s superstructure was covered in white plastic.

Port Orchard is a cute little town that is going through a bit of revitalizing. Found a decent Mexican place for a bit of Dos Equis and chips. And the football game. Strange I have watch bits of two NFL games on this trip. More football than the past 24 months.

Walking back to the boat I met guy watering the plant containers behind his store... Sun flowers basil, cherry tomatoes and adorned the outside eating space. I asked what they were selling. Homemade Ice Cream, and baked goods. Of course i wandered in. This is not a Baskin Robins or a Ben and Jerrys This is Carters Chocolates and Ice Cream. It is a sugar lovers delightful space. I had to try a cone. $2.75 per dip. Orange Chocolate Chip caught my eye. Orange ice cream and chunks of dark chocolate chips. Ohhhhhh So delicious. Carter gave me a tease of the Coffee Chocalate Chip while I awaited the dipping of my cone. Oh my...It was like having a cup of coffee with cream and sugar like Grandfather fixed for me early in the morning before he went off to work while the family slept. Now add the fabulous chocolate chunks. Did I make my choice to quickly... No the Orange Chocolate chip was divine. But I will have to come back to Port Orchard to try the other flavors.

Thus goes the joy of visiting these port towns by boat. It is the random discoveries made that spice life.

Tonight Mother Nature is providing a rare (at least for these parts) lightening show.

Thankfully all tucked into the boat. The electronics shut down and the power disconnected from the dock... Now what was it. Put the cell phone and the ipad in the oven?

Nite.

Dec 28, 2015
I did the same route around Bainbridge a couple weeks ago. Rich Passage was really cool but a little exciting with the ferries.

Oct 22, 2014
Mike you really got to stop in Port Orchard and try the Carters Ice Cream.

Are you seeing the lightening?

Dec 28, 2015
Yea it ripped through here in Frederickson about a hour ago. Mostly cloud to cloud.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Crazy lightning in quick succession here in Redmond until almost 10 pm. UW - Cal game was put on delay into the first quarter. Fans were told to seek shelter from the metal stands! DOH! Enjoy the rest of your cruise. If you make it to Poulsbo, don't forget Sluys bakery.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The electronics shut down and the power disconnected from the dock...[:thumbup:] Now what was it. Put the cell phone and the ipad in the oven?
Don't for get take them out when well done. I like my iPad "medium rare":laugh:

If you meant Microwave oven and your boat is per ABYC grounding standards...
1) When you disconnected shore power, you are grounded to the water.
2) iPhone won't receive a call.

Why not put them near you? :pray:

Scared you ate to much Ice Cream?:hook2:

Jim...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I find it interesting that a thunderstorm that is a normal almost daily afternoon event in Florida makes the national news feed when it hits the Seattle area. Here is Oak Harbor we might get one thunderstorm per year so it is a big event. There are perks to living in Fleece-land!

Oct 22, 2014
Mostly cloud to cloud.
Yes most appeared to be sheet lightening. Cloud to Cloud.
But suddenly there would be a bolt running vertical through the sky, filing the air with a bright light. Then the roil of thunder would shatter the evening peace.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would think with the "right" girl in every port, good food and good beer is all part of the package. :beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The Kitty Hawk is in mothballs awaiting scrap.
Sad to see the old girl being dismantled. Did two WestPac cruises on her in 1962-63. Wonderful ship and top performer in her day.

And as for ferries, left Blind Bay under sail on a port tack heading for Pevine Pass a week or so ago. The Tillicum had just left Orca and appeared at the time to be heading for Thatcher Pass. I'm coming up on the Shaw Island ferry landing doing maybe three knots. I'm under sail and on the Tillicium's starboard. By every rights I have the right of way, but no he makes a sharp starboard turn to the Shaw Island ferry landing and gives me some toots. Grr.

Rather than flipping him off, I did a 360 degree turn to port, losing my momentum in the process. He could have throttled back and waited until I passed, which would have been maybe a minute or two at most. Yes, the Tillicum is a bit bigger than Belle-Vie, but whatever happened to the rules of the road? Just say'n.

Oct 22, 2014
You experienced the rule of Mass. It is pretty much a trump card. Played often.

Oct 22, 2014
Today I awoke to a quiet still morning. No sun, damp heavy clouds to the south and west. Decided to cruise up Port Orchard Passage and visit Keyport. Small marina. A guest dock with free moorage first 6 hours. About a 2 hour run. Overcast when I untied the lines but the ceiling was dropping and a damp mist started to cover the water.

I had about 30 minutes of dry clear air before I cruised into the bank of mist. Visibility went to 3/4 of a mile. Good time to practice radar navigation. Set boat up for fog conditions. Running and Steaming lights on. Fog horn ready. AIS and Radar in transmit mode. Different high speed sized boats motored at me. Easily identified as a target at 1nm. Some were also AIS transmitting. This made it easy with name cpa, time to approach, bearing radio call number and boat name. Reached out to a 45 ft sailboat who responded with “I’m a motor launch”. I said yes but your radar signature shows two sticks on that motor launch. He laughed thanked me for letting him know he could be scene on radar. One never knows for sure.

Made it into Keyport for lunch. In time for my first rain shower. Rigged a tarp over my open cockpit after lunch and opened up my Raymarine Wheel AP. Upon arrival I clicked off the AP so I could dock and the belt tension release failed. The plastic cam that tightens against the belt was jammed. Opened it up and got it free. But not happy with the plastic parts inside. In the 4000 ST. Wheel I think they used stainless steel cams. A bummer of a weakness. Guess I’ll be calling Raymarine support when I get home. All is back up and running but unsure for how long.

Keyport was not a good guest dock. The passing power craft go through the narrow passage and throw a foot or more wake. After the third in maybe 20 minutes tried to toss my boat up on to the dock I decided to head into Liberty bay and spend a quiet night at Poulsbo.

Even that had a twist. But that is another story.

Good news the Longship Consignment Store is still in business. They reopened in a storefront facing the parking lot and Marina. Had a 9 foot FPR sailing skiff for sale in front of the store. $250. Cute. Thankfully the store was closed and though tempted I had to walk away.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tillicum is a bit bigger than Belle-Vie, but whatever happened to the rules of the road? Just say'n.
Is Tillicum a ferry operating within her defined route on her defined schedule? I think that would give her RoW.

-Will (Dragonfly)