Which westerbeke is this on my 2001 Beneteau 331?

Ryd

Sep 10, 2021
Beneteau 331 Richmond CA
Hello Beneteau forum!

We are the new owners of a grimey but generally very sound 2001 Beneteau 331. The westerbeke engine looks great but makes me nervous...it had several issues during sea trialing which seemed to be related to excess vibration: starter wires broke off, ignition switch failed, fuse wires shook loose, etc....
Diesel Fuel and filters were replaced as a suggested fix for vibration. Surveyor felt that it ran better after these updates but I'm not so sure. The engine was listed as a 27hp, but seems like a Mitsubishi 25?? See photos below..

Anybody know about this engine and what makes it tick? Boat is in CA delta area but headed to east SF Bay...

This is a family boat and i'm hoping to get engine fine tuned so that I have more faith in its reliability ...

Anybody have a top notch diesel mechanic in SF Bay area?

Screenshot_20210612-144543_OneDrive.jpg
Screenshot_20210612-110129_Messages.jpg

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Marine engines are typically marinized industrial/tractor engines - so your block is likely a Mitsubishi. Might want to do some research on how to accurately cross reference 'Beker's to their farm tractor equivalent. Might be able to save a few $ in parts for the non marinized items.

See here for engine ID info

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How does your surveyor miss the HP when it is printed ON THE ENGINE!?!?!?!?!

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
How does your surveyor miss the HP when it is printed ON THE ENGINE!?!?!?!?!
The OP does not credit the surveyor as the source for HP, it says “listed as 27 HP”. I searched for 331 specs, and found it as a Westerbeke 27 HP.

As to the broken electrical connectors, that sounds like more than a fuel filter issue to me, but not necessarily something that should chase you away from this boat! When you get a referral to a mechanic, ask him what it would cost to refurbish the electrical connections. My experience (with two Beneteaus, and in other areas) is that if there are multiple vibration problems with wiring, it’s never going to be trustworthy until the entire system is refurbished and the weakened components are replaced.

While you‘re at it, ask the mechanic if they have experience with Beneteaus, there isn’t much that makes me angrier than someone who doesn’t understand how a system is designed and built telling me that it’s all been done incorrectly…

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........Anybody know about this engine and what makes it tick? Boat is in CA delta area but headed to east SF Bay...............Anybody have a top notch diesel mechanic in SF Bay area?
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

My best guess based on 25 hp @ 3600 rpm is a Westerbeke M4-30 200155_rev2_m12-m35_technical_man.pdf (westerbeke.com) but have youir mechanic confirm. Best engine mechanics in the San Francisco Bay are Chuck’s Marine 510-272-0765 chucksmarine@comcast.net, who serviced my Hunter 386 and 46 Yanmar engines and powerboat Volvo Penta enginens AND Bay Marine Marty 510-435-8870 baymarinediesel@comcast.net to replace my Hunter 386 water pump. But I also know others. Where you be berthing your sailboat...........Marina Bay Yacht Harbor, Boardwalk Port Marina (formerly Brickyard Cove Marina), where I am berth, or Richmond Yacht Club or Channel Marina Yacht Harbor?

Last edited:

Ryd

Sep 10, 2021
Beneteau 331 Richmond CA
Probably will berth at Marina Bay but hoping to check out RYC in the future