Which sealant should I use?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am lazy and tired after sanding all the old Cetol off my teak toe rail to search the archives. What product should I use to seal the toe rail to deck? The toe rail was sanded, two coats of sealer and three coats of spar varnish.
The rail is still connected to the deck so I need a calk/sealer to fill in the minuet gap. Only on the inboard side of the rail to deck joint. I am not a fan of silicone, but boat life makes a silicone sealer. I don't need water running down the bolt holes into the cabin. She is a old girl and I like to keep her as nice as possible.
Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Silicone would be a bad choice. Since it is exposed to sunlight 3M 4000UV.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I would use a polysulfide like Boatlife Life Caulk in a mahogany color. Now that you have it sealed, I'd tape both sides of a narrow joint area and apply a bead and tool it off, then carefully pull the tape before it dries. The stuff is messy so use gloves. If you're good with the caulking gun (I'm not), you could skip the taping.

You can then varnish right over this stuff, after it dries (which takes a few days but it gets solid pretty quickly).

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^^ I'm assuming he means Sika 291. They make a lot of products.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the information. I will look into Boatlife life calk, and the Sika 291. I have gotten excellent advise from Tom so I am leaning towards his suggestion.
Thanks again for the suggestions, cheers.

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for the information. I will look into Boatlife life calk, and the Sika 291. I have gotten excellent advise from Tom so I am leaning towards his suggestion.
Thanks again for the suggestions, cheers.
Since the seam will be exposed to sunlight, make sure the caulk you use is UV resistant. White LifeCaulk is not UV resistant and will turn an ugly shade of brown over time. The Mahogany colored caulk probably won't be affected as much as it is brown already. Lifecaulk will grow legs and walk around your boat, Tom's comment about it being messy is a bit of an understatement, it is however a fine caulk once it cures. I've used it often.

Oct 10, 2011
I guess what I thought would be a simple question is not so simple. I guess I'll be doing more research. I sure don't want the nasty black/brown color after all the wood prep. I thought Boatlife would make sense.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I guess what I thought would be a simple question is not so simple. I guess I'll be doing more research. I sure don't want the nasty black/brown color after all the wood prep. I thought Boatlife would make sense.
I'm not sure Boatlife would be the best choice, either. You're application is asking for a small filet like joint of sealer between sealed wood and fiberglass. I recommend the Mahogany Boatlife polysulfide because once cured, it takes varnish nicely. But polysulfide doesn't stick that well to surfaces that aren't prepped for it. That's why I find it a good sealant in the some applications, especially where wood is involved. When you have two mating surfaces, polysulfide has superior gap filling and flowing properties. I heard wooden boat builders refer to this as the 'splooge' factor.

The great thing is, once cured, the material doesn't adhere that well to the sealed wood. it's easy to remove as well as sand off the raw wood. Then varnish covers it all and the joint lasts a long long time (beyond when you'd have to 'wood' the pieces it's sealing.

You have a perfect rubber like gasket between the pieces that seals out water very well. It's not a great adhesive though except to raw wood.

Boatlife Splooge.jpg

You may be better with a polyurethane type sealant (Sika) due to it's higher adhesion? Either way, taping off for a filet, it should blend in with the toerail and disappear. But it has to be a good seal, and stay there. Tough one!

Oct 10, 2011
OK I think I have narrowed it to these two SIKA SIKAFLEX 505UV, or 521UV. I am only looking for a sealant, that is UV resistant. Any thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014
I've not used either one and have never used a caulk in your application. Sorry.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Boatlife Life Calk also comes in a teak color. They also make a primer to coat the teak with for best adhesion to the teak. It is a good choice, but takes longer to cure than most caulks.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
OK I think I have narrowed it to these two SIKA SIKAFLEX 505UV, or 521UV. I am only looking for a sealant, that is UV resistant. Any thoughts?
I've used a bit of the Sika products. The urethane type caulks stick like glue so I avoid them for most applications. But this adhesion may be just just what you want.

I remember the color match wasn't great but they may have a better option there. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2011
I have decided to go with SIKAFLEX 505UV. I wanted more of a sealant/calk rather then a adhesive.
I hope it adhears as well as Tom stated, as I don't want to do this project again.
Thanks again for all the advice.:beer: