Which New or Nearly New 25' Boat Would You Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hackie

RE: which new 25 foot boat would you buy

Like another responder, I would consider an older boat and also tiller rather than wheel steering for that length of boat.

C&C 25 (you might find wheel steering) and the S2 7.9 are both good quality boats. The S2 Grand Slam version has a retractable keel.

Other choices (although they are more performance oriented, but make fine day sailers) are Kirby25, Merritt25, Santana 525, Capri25 (I own a Capri25..great performance day sailer with plenty of cockpit space).

A

Arthur4455

Chrysler 26

We are looking into the future and we are considering a 25' sailboat. We like the size for what we do, which is 95% day sails. At this point we prefer outboard for ease of maintenance, but I'd really like wheel steering so I guess an inboard is the compromise. If you were in the market for a boat this size, what you pick and why?
Have you considered a Chysler 26? There is one for sale at the marina where I keep my boat. It's red on a red trailer, it looks great and it's in great condition. The young couple that owned it moved up to a Catalina 27. I've sailed a similar boat and liked it. Our marina is: Whitehall Landing, Whtehall, MI. phone number 231-894-5622.

Feb 9, 2009
2 250 WB West Point, GA
Catalina 250 is for you!

Hey, we have a Catalina 250, 2003, and it has both a wheel and an outboard Honda 9.9 HP. Sounds like just what you're looking for. We love it for lake sailing! I have to admit it is tight to get around the wheel but I'm a big guy and it's not really that big of a deal. I love the wheel and would hate having a tiller. But that's just me. The wheel makes me feel like I'm sailing a bigger sailboat!

S

stargazer4318

new or used?

We are looking into the future and we are considering a 25' sailboat. We like the size for what we do, which is 95% day sails. At this point we prefer outboard for ease of maintenance, but I'd really like wheel steering so I guess an inboard is the compromise. If you were in the market for a boat this size, what you pick and why?
You didn't say whether or not you wanted a NEW or USED boat. Assuming you are talking about NEW - the Seaward gives you an incredible boat for the money - and it's both trailerable and has an awesome shoal draft. You'll NEVER go aground on this boat! Bill on STARGAZER

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nearly new

You didn't say whether or not you wanted a NEW or USED boat.
Bill, they did so. Please check out the topic: "New or Nearly New"

Now, I agree that "nearly new" could mean a lot of different things to different people.:doh:

J

justmetonyc

Catalina 25

I love my Catalina 25 and I compare it to my friends Hunter 27 .... For me the Catalina is superior in pointing and still being a forgiving boat yet still fast. Mine is an older 1985 model
but I love the way she sails. Great cabin room and a wonderful pop up make her a great day sailor, camper for family, or just fun to race as well. With the hardware set up in the cockpit for single handling, she is great solo or with crew ..... Hope your pick brings you as much satisfaction as mine .... Happy Sailing.....

Tony C.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
When I sold my 222 I was looking at 25's; Cat, Cal, Odays, Hunter. I discovered a Beneteau 235 at the dealer's and bought that instead.

Feb 2, 2009
2 Venture 17 Hickory
Like so many have said, i would buy a Seaward.
I too have been narrowing my search for about a year. I have narrowed it to 3 boats primarily. I would also consider a boat outside of these 3 if it was just right, and the price was fair.
I will be moving up from a 17 foot because it's too small for 4 people.
For a new boat, or less than 3 years old, and money was not a problem, I would go with a Seaward. I want to be able to keep it on a trailer or take it with me to other places but not sacrifice anywhere else. The keel design is like no other.
Second choice would be a Catalina 25. They can be had for less money, parts are cheaper, and still trailered , but not as high in the quality department.
And third, if I took out the trailer part and the newer part, I would find a good Cape Dory 25, because they are just so darn pretty.
Also, I don't like wheel steering.

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC
One manufacturer you may want to consider is Compac Yachts. We have owned three of them! The quality of a Compac Yacht speaks for itself. I've aways taken the time to physically go look at different sailboats inorder to develop my own opinion of the quality and benefits of a particular sailboat. There is a substantial difference in trailerable sailboats. For what its worth, purchasing an older "quality" sailboat is much better than purchasing a "newer" low quality sailboat.

Our 89' Compac 19/3 is a far better quality sailboat than many of the brand new sailboats in the same size range! The Seaward 26RK is a "better" sailboat, the Compac 23/4 is a "better" sailboat. Buying a sailboat takes lots of time and effort, if you want to end up with a "better" quality sailboat. I've always said "the harder you work, the luckier you get", meaning the more effort you put into researching the right sailboat to purchase, the more likely you'll purchase a "better" sailboat! Good luck!

David

Last edited:
Q

QMiii

Marcia,

I know of an O'Day 28 for sale with a Volvo inboard sail drive unit. Asking price is $5000 or best offer.

Jeff

D

digbysailor

my 2 cents

With regard to the perfect choice for a 25 foot sailboat there are many considerations such as are you a do-it yourselfer?is money a big factor?do you like newer designs or the older more traditional look?I assume from your post that racing is not your goal but day sailing.As to getting wheel steering on a 25 I would say that would only be possible as a custom add on.My last boat was a 1981 hunter 25 .I bought the boat basically because my chrysler 22 was getting a bit small and I wanted more of an overnighter.The prime reason I went with the older cherubini style boat was my budget,I bought my boat right and knew I would need to do some mantainance but saw it as a good learning experience.I will tell you I thoroughly enjoyed sailing my h25 rather with crew or solo.After looking around I think if I had it to do again I would go for the beamier sleaker 25.5 which was introduced in 1984 by hunter(no longer built)I like the wider sterns as it gives you a more spacious cockpit and usually space for an aft berth.But dollar for dollar the cherubini 25 was as good choice for me and a big feeling solid boat with interior teak to spare.Good luck in your quest and dont be afraid to have a look at a cherubini 25 they are a very forgiving boat with "tank" like qualities.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
I agree, if I had $100,000 to spare I'd go for the Dana 24. It'll take you around the world...

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
Many valid points have been brought up here.
The issues you need to seriously think about are budget, storage, trailerability, comfort, etc. There is a good selection of new and used boats out there.
You also mentioned an inboard. I don't know how many 25s have an inboard - I think you'd see that more on larger boats.
As for wheel steering, it's true that they don't "feel" the same. I guess it's a tradeoff between functionality vs. convenience.
Water ballast certainly makes the boat easier to move around. If you're into trying different waters (lakes, etc.) to sail, you may want to strongly consider the trailering aspect.
The Macgregor 26 is something to consider. You can get wheel steering and it has water ballast, plus it trailers nicely. I've been told they can achieve pretty good speed when using a power motor (90HP or so). I've heard comments about roominess when it comes to extended stays - but I would not think that would be an issue if your primary use is as a day sailor. (www.macgregor26.com)
Happy hunting, and happy sailing in whatever you decide to pick up.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The restriction of age is a major problem. As time has passed boats have tended to get bigger just as houses have gotten bigger to satisfy the modern market. Prior to 1980 there were many boats in the twenty something foot catagory. But the market has changed and the choices are more limited now. Wheel steering can be made to work on any boat but perhaps not an off the shelf package. I think that you need to define your sailing desires and expectations and then match a boat to your plans. It will be a much better fit. Do you have imperitives for work schedules? Must you get back on time or is your schedule more flexible? I am self employed so if I am expected somewhere and I am not able to make port in time I can call and reschedule. I tell my clients of my plans when I establish my work plans. Would the ability to stay in a safe harbor overnight and return safely a bit later be a good feature? Do you plan or expect to sail with more people than you can sleep over night?

J

jeff.crumpley

I love my new Hunter 25

I've had my new hunter 25 for about 3 years now. It has wheel steering, an outboard, and a head with a holding tank. I mostly day sail, but do spend a few nights out as well. The wheel steering on the boat gives you more room in the cockpit, rather than less, as the wheel is at the stern, not right in the middle of the cockpit. As far as feel, I think that is just a personal choice. I'd rather have a wheel any day. The only real drawbacks for the boat for me is that it only has about 5'6" headroom and the head is really small, but usable. The big plus for me was the shoal draft and the fact that it is not a water ballast boat. It is very easy to trailer if you have an appropriate vehicle. Raising the mast can be done with one person. I can have the boat set up and ready to sail in a half hour by myself from the trailer. I actually keep mine in the water all the time now, but often trailer it to the house for cleaning and maintenance when needed.

Aug 4, 2009
Hunter H-25 Mystic, CT
We sail a 2006 Hunter H-25 with a shoal keel in the Fischers Island Sound area. Weboat sail regularly in some pretty rough water. I was surprised how stable and seaworthy the boat is. It is very easy to single hand and park in a tight dock space. (Wheel steering and outboard with an e-z steer set up.) Wheel steering is more cockpit friendly. Our old Catalina 22 had a tiller. The tiller takes up a lot of floor space and limits space in the cockpit for passengers. We are very pleased with our purchase and would do it again.

Oct 4, 2004
International Offshore 50 Alameda
Personally I would move up to a 30+', but you may be interested in trailering.

Catalina's are great and you can find them in perfect shape at huge discounts if they are 2 to 10 years old. I suggest a 30' because the amenities change drastically between 25 and 30 as well as the handling. You can accommodate far more guests with much more comfort. Wheel steering is a big plus and a shower is much better than you may think - particularly if you have kids or decide to sleep over much. When you are at anchor or at the dock - remove the wheel and clip it to one of the many convenient quick holders made for them - they even have folding wheels.

Another quick push for a slightly larger boat - when one or two people move to one side on a 25 footer - you know it. When they move to one side on a 30 footer you will probably not know it. If someone needs to konk out, they can hide away from the group and sleep. If the kids need space to get away or the other way around - its there.

You will find - (mark my words) that if you really get into sailing and trailering is not your thing, you will move up to a 30+ footer in the long run).

Outside of the above, Catalina's are no brainers - they are well known, have a very good reputation, they are easy to sell when you want to sell and move up to the next size, and they are relatively less expensive to maintain because you can purchase many of the interior and exterior parts directly from Catalina - things such as the rigging, sails, cushions, etc.
By the way, when you purchase a brand new boat the off-gassing can be very strong. I became sensitized to the fumes and could not actually purchase a new boat if I wanted to.

The economic train wreck hangover we are in offers up a ton of 2-4 year old boats in mint condition and the fumes should be down to just about zero. They will be hitting a bottom in price over the next couple of years but even now the deals are great - be sure to make your offer at a steep discount - at least 20% below asking (don't hate me readers, but I would offer 30-50% less and get it all day long).

New buyers will ask a salesperson what they think of different boats - you will pretty much never hear a bad word about a Catalina or a Beneteau. If you ask the same question about a Hunter, the salesperson will rightfully ask you what year or tell you that it depends on the year you are looking at - pre-1985 would not be a good thing, they were pretty poorly built prior to 1985. Other boats have similiar reputation problems - Morgans were very well made but some models were real dogs (poor sailing vessels) and others were good racers. What I am trying to say is that you will enjoy pretty much any Catalina, particularly in the size range you are talking about, and when you later go to sell it, you will find the process just as easy as the purchase.

Whatever you do, don't buy a one-off or oddball in this size. Stay away from "well built" tanks, they require an eccentric to sell, usually sail poorly and generally have small cockpits and not enough laughter. If and when you sell your boat a good well known brand makes the process easy.

I would take a good look at anything from the early 90s onward. Very little has changed on most of the Catalina's and others with modern designs. The sterns took a big leap in size and comfort and overall it was around the early 90s that many went to the walk-thru transom which is extremely desirable and the double stern-rail seats are the bee's knees.

Beneteau's are great boats but I do not know much about the smaller sizes.
Beautiful lines, modern designs and good sailors.

From the sound of your plea it is obvious you are leaning to the new side of boats and I think the new designs are miles ahead of the old designs. If the reputation for a boat is that of a tank - just pass it by - unless you are driven by fear.
Spending a pile on a 25 footer makes no sense at all - Buying slightly used makes a ton of sense.

I have never met even one person that has purchased a new boat that did not have more problems with the factory and de-bugging than someone that found a good almost new boat. This is probably not as big a factor in a smaller boat, but it is interesting to note.

I have never lost a dime on all the boats I have owned. Every boat that I owned sold for well above my purchase price to the first 3 people that looked at them and in all cases I owned a boat that was a well known brand with good sailing characteristics.

Take advantage of the great deals out there and buy great wine with the savings!

I hope this has been helpful.

Fair winds - David

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2009
Hunter 25 Lake Hopatcong, NJ
the hunter 25 has a wheel and is easy to solo sail. I purchased mine this summer and put in many hours of day sailing. I am very satified with my choice.

May 12, 2009
29.5 sloop Westerly Yacht Club
Re: Catalina, but I am biased

Going from a 23 to 25 will not get much of a volume increase. The best bet for the most room is a 1980's Hunter 25. It will have a tiller and outboard although there are a few with inboards and wheel steering. The Catalina 25 is also a good boat but you can't stand in the cabin unless the pop top is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.