Which Minn kota for Hunter 146?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
I bought this amazing boat two weeks ago :) However, since in my area wind sometimes diasappear unpredictably, I am considering buying small electrical motor, like Minn kota. Their site is quite bad, so would like to ask you folks to recommen one motor from the Riptide range, since I sail in sea. In my area I can get Riptide RT40S an RT55S. However, the latter is 2 times more expensive, so I would prefer the RT40S if it is good enough for 146 :) Since I am complteley new to this area, I would like to check few thing, if someone could help, I would appreciate: 1. water-resistance what happens if wind turn the boat to the sea? Will Minn kota be ready for starting again? I have mast float, but still somw water will get to the motor. 2. battery are those motors delivered with batteries? Where is rhe battery compartment? On motor itself, or I have to find space for it? If it is not on the motor, hoqw do you water-seal it? Thanks for your help, in advance :)

K

Karl

you are new

The Mini kota is a trolling motor...you need a deep cycle automotive style and size battery to run it. You'll also need a way to charge the battery. The motors are sealed and aren't usually used as a means of driving a boat for long distances. I would suggest that you find a small outboad instead. A 2hp Honda would be just right.

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
Yes, I am a newbie :)

Dear Karl, thanks for your reply. I was considering outboard at first, but then I got scared that it will get wet if my boat turns to the side. Would outboard be safe since I have mast float? The reason I need a motor is only to help me to get to the port sometimes if wind dies. I prefer regular small outboard, but I am scared that water might make some damage if wind turns the boat to the side. You have some experience with it?

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I'm using a 46

I'm using a Minnkota 46 on my H170, your boats bigger brother. It will move it along at about the same speed as a larger boat in a no-wake zone. If I sailed where a tide was present, I would not want the Minnkota. I use mine to get in/out of the channels where the ramps are located. You could probably use the 40 if you don't have tides to contend with.

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
Jerry, how do you keep battery dry?

I am little bit affraid about turning the boat to water, so I would like to get some idea how do you keep your battery dry? thanks a lot for your info

K

Karl

Dry battery

You could by a totally sealed battery and then you won't have to worry. I think we're missing the objective of learning to sail without suffering from a knockdown or capsize. Also, how to sail in a low wind conditions and keep the boat moving. How about a paddle or two? your skills. Enjoy the sport.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Sealed and mounted

Odin, My batteries are sealed units. They are mounted to a tray which is mounted to the boat via rubberized brass inserts. I had to drill two holes. I wasn't worried about them getting wet... I was worried about getting them back if I turtled the boat. I also have a small chain connected to the Minnkota for the same reason. The motor mount is slippery. I covered my batteries with a car console with cup holders. Jerry

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
thanks for the tip, do you have some photos?

Thanks folks! Jerry, do you have some photos with your installation. I like your system, so I think i will reconsider minn kota thing once again :)

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Picture

Here's a picture of what I have covering my batteries. I'm using a quick disconnect to plug in my Minnkota. I have another cable with connector that I use to charge after each use.

P

phlocker

2.5 Gas

I went with a new Tohatsu 2.5hp gas power motor ($650) Felt that it would have more power than an electric esp when you have to get back to the dock going into the current, and was nervous about batteries on board esp in a knockdown...just my .2

J

Jeff Wessel

gas motor

I gree with phlocker. I have a great little 2.5 Nissan on mine that I am well pleased with. The tank is self contained so all I need to do is clamp it on and tether it to the motor mount. The trolling motors with fold up gear, batteries, and storage issues did not appeal to me at all, especially at the price. The down side is that I'm a stink pot when I am under power, but that is normally for less than 15 minutes total when I raise or lower my sails. I burn more gas pulling the boat to the ramp. I have never turned my boat over, but I imagine that it sits pretty high in the water when it is. Probably high enough to keep the motor out of the water. I think gas motors are pretty tollerant of getting wet. I have known them to start up easily after a drying out period if you follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
Thanks

Thanks guys. I will make a simulation, put a "dummy" engine on the boat and them bend it over :)

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
Today...

I went outside with my 146, and what was nice breeze for the whole day, died when I was a mile from the port :) Paddling is good for muscles, but not for nerves :))

Odin

Aug 6, 2005
- - Krk, Croatia
Jerry, no picture

Jerry, you forgot to put a link to the photo. thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.