Which late-model Hunter to Buy?

• Thread starter Walt Allensworth
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walt Allensworth

Hi! I'm looking for some advice. I'm 43, have sailed for 25 years in sailboats from 12 feet to 128 feet (spent 6 weeks / 2000 miles offshore on a 128 footer), and I'm finally seriously considering buying my first sailboat - possibly a Hunter in the 34-38 foot range, possibly something else. I've got soooooo many questions it's just impossible to really know where to start, and I couldn't possibly write them all down here. I'm sure you've all been there... it's one thing to look at boats and dream. It's another to look at boats when you're getting close to writing a check. Completely different perspective. Scary. My wife and I are looking for something we can do bay (Chesapeake), coastal, and near-offshore cruising in. We would spend weekends, and up to a couple of weeks in the boat at a time. We'd probably spend half our nights in a marina, and half at anchor. We're looking for a boat that offers good value, but is not "cheap," if you know what I mean. We're not looking for an old boat that we've got to spend hundreds of hours fixing up before we can actually go sailing. We'd like something used, but new enough that it's got a good bit of life in the rigging and systems that it should go several years without major repair $$$. If you're still with me after that long preamble... thanks for the interest! We're considering buying a slightly used Hunter 356, probably a 2001 or 2002. Something with AC, cold-plate, windlass, & R.F. main and jib. Does this make sense for our type of sailing? What should I expect to pay? (I'm thinking somewhere around $100-$110K.) How much should I budget for those unexpected first-year rut-roh's? How much time should I expect to spend working on the boat, vs. sailing? Plus... there's a thousand other questions, but not enough time to write them all here! So... any answers would be much appreciated. If you've got any specific advice, some of that boiled down, bottom-line salty boating wisdom, I'm all ears. I've got alot to learn! Thanks -Walt

P

Peter Moran

Hunter 376

In my opinion the 376 gives you the room and feel of a much larger boat. Plus with a 5' draft makes passage in and around the Chesapeake very managable. I recently bought one and am extremly please. A/c autopilot refrigeraton make it so much more pleasureable. Good Luck!!!

B

Bob Pugh

Boat to Buy

We have a 2000 Hunter 380 and have found it to be a good balance between price and size. What looks large at the outset is too small 6 months later. However, you have had so much boating experience, you probably have a good idea of your space needs. What I found runs up the cost is properly outfitting the boat. You can easily add over $20,000 in electronics, batteries, and "stuff". Do you need all of this? Of course you do! So, please consider the cost of "stuff". Maintenance is initially hard due to the learning curve. I did not have your experience when we bought our boat, and I spent many hours studying the boat's systems, alternatives, etc. If your spouse or significant other likes to help out, it really mmakes it easier. Now that the boat is the way I want it, I only spend a few hours a month on maintenance. (You can also pay someone else to do things if you would like and can afford it. I personally like to know how something works--just in case.) You are looking for a boat at a good time. Sales are soft, the economy is uneven, and slip fees are high. Most sellers are motivated. Good luck!

M

Miguel G. del Rey

356 it is!!!!

356 will be perfect, best boat for your money, I love mine #195 Saludos Miguel

C

Chuck Wayne

34-38 ft boat hunting

the 356 would be a great choice, if you could find a slightly used one! most of us wouldn't sell ours! she's a great combination of speed,seaworthiness, and comfort. a recent 376 would also be a good choice. Be prepared to spend $$ to do maintenance and upgrading that the previous owner didn't do to your liking, and be sure to have a professional surveyor look at the boat before you plunk down your money. that said, it's a good time to buy-there are deals out there. Chuck Wayne Hunter 356 #198 WWW.Escape

J

John McWilliams

ended up w/ H380

Your senario pretty much describes where we were back in August. The 1st we looked at was a 95 355. We went to boat shows, scoped out the internet, almost bought an 85 Tartan 37. In February my wife decided that the boat she liked best was the very first one we looked at. It had just been sold. I don't believe that Hunter made a 35 footer between 95 and 2002, so there wasn't many choices out there. We ended up buying a 99 H380. We chose the 380 because we expect to cruise w/ other couples and the 38 has 2 full size staterooms. I had to smile because your description is exactly like mine except I'm 5 years older.

M

Mark MIllham

356 vs 380

My wife and I also did a lot of searching, and looked at several styles and manufacturers before settleing on the 356. The only 2 significant differences between the 356 and the 280 are 2' of cabin space and 20k in price. For the money you are thinking of spending, you can get a nice 356, probably equipped with most of the gear you would want to have. Prepare to keep a boating "kitty" of 5-7K to cover marina fees, haul out, maintenance and cruising. So far we love our 356. It's very forgiving to sail, and lots of space for 2 plus pets and guests. I'd reccomend her highly. Please feel free to contact me with any questions I can help with. mark.millham@jaber.af.mil Good Hunting!

M

Marc P

356 VS 376

We have a new 2003 356. Expect to launch her in a week or two. Recently had the opportunity to charter a 376, The interiors are very similar, The big difference is that the aft stateroom on the 376 has more room and you can walk thru the aft stateroom to a seperate entrance to the head. We really did like having the extra room here. The cockpit is also a little longer and wider. We love the 356 but 2 feet did make a difference in comfort. Marc

P

Patrick

The additional interior space in a 376 is an advantage over the 356 but may not be as important as performance. I have not sailed a 356 but I suspect that the 376 will perform better than the 356 because of the additional water line. An obvious advantage of the 356 however should be a less expensive slip fee.

A

Al STORY

We turned down a nearly new 386..

for a new 356. If you plunk down a another measly 10k, just ten boat bucks :), you too can go new. We have no regrets at all. #353

M

Mark Johnson

If I had it to do over again. ..I'd buy ........

"Nearly" new. The commisioning of a new boat CAN be a real pain. Buying a boat a year or so old, the bugs have been worked out, and the owner has put a bunch of extra stuff on the boat that costs big $$$, but he will only get pennies on the dollar for in resale. Also, let the first owner take the big first year hit in depreciation. I know about taking the first year hit...I used to own hull number one of the 460.

W

Walt Allensworth

Thank you, & please don't stop!

Great help everyone... thank you. Please don't stop with the suggestions... I'm all ears! I've found a 1 year old H356 available locally in MD, it's listed on the Hunter boats for sale site. They want $120K, whick seems a tad pricy. Thoughts? I do like the idea of having somebody else deal with all of the first-year fixes, and outfitting. ;) Plus that first-year depreciation. It seems like you can save $20K by buying a 1 year old boat... mostly because of all the extra's that the original owner put in the boat, and doesn't really get reimbursed for when they sell. Does anyone know what warranties might transfer? Engine, hull, etc? How long are these?

E

Ed Schenck

You found it.

Sounds like you found it. The Hunter dealer can fill you in on warranty issues. Oh to have the $$$ for an H356 on Chesapeake Bay! :) You do not say how the H356 is equipped but $120K sounds close to me. If it has all the canvas, A/C, and the other things you wanted that would be a good value.

M

Miles

The best boat to buy...

Would be one where the seller went hog wild with options and extras on a new boat, sailed the boat twice, and then decided it wasn't for him. Just don't end up being that seller! A year or two old is a great way to go. By the time you equip the boat with: canvas, electronics, radar, autopilot, chart plotter, charts, bigger batteries, a "real" anchor, rode, chain, safety stuff, galley stuff, dinghy, outboard, etc. you'll be spending tens of thousands more even if you do all the work yourself. In addition to the "for sale" section on this site you can look at yachtworld.com to get some idea of where prices should be. A good broker will help to. Boat prices are often negotiable and I'd guess that these days they are more negotiable than you might first think. Have fun whichever boat you choose!

W

Walt Allensworth

I don't think it has AC... :(

As far as I can tell, that one doesn't have AC. It's not listed in the opening paragraph. A bad sign. I'll have to call 'em to verify. Maybe I could offer them $105K and that would leave me enough cash to get an AC unit installed. Nothing I hate worse than laying there in bed just sweating away. Yuck.

W

Walt Allensworth

Miles - Exactly.

That's what I was thinking. People are saying that prices are "soft" right now. What does that mean? If a boat is listed for $120K, does that suggest a sale price of $100K? $110K? I've got no feel for it.

M

Miles

It depends...

but that's probably about right. On a boat that new the owner/seller is bailing out for what ever reason and is going to get hurt no matter what. If the boat is just sitting there eating up slip fees for months they may be quite interested in selling it. As a data point I bought a lightly used 1998 340 back in 1999 and closed the deal at 12% under what they were initially asking. Same basic price range you're in. Of course it ain't 1999 now! Good luck...

T

Tom Webb

Buy a charter boat

The best deal I found was to buy a Hunter 410 and put her in charter. She has just about paid for herself and I have been sailing in some far out places. My Hunter has been in charter with Sunsail for 4 years. She comes out next July. I usually sail 6 to 7 weeks a year at any of their bases in the world. Last month when I sailed her she looked better than new. All the electronics had been updated, new bottom paint and sails, rig had been surveyed and tuned. Sunsail has the staff and manpower to maintain her better than I have ever been able to maintain a sailboat. If there is a problem I just call Sunsail. I don't give up one vacation day working on my Hunter, plus Sunsail is paying a 13% return now. I noticed several boats coming out of the fleet in the BVI when I was down there last month that were cheap compared to USA prices. I fully intend to buy another boat for charter when this one comes out.

M

Mark Johnson

How much can you buy a new 356 for??

equiped the way you would want it? Keep in mind, it is a BUYERS market now. Sellers tend to think that their boats are worth far more than they really are. After you have done your homework and done some comparison shopping, I would not hesitate offering at least 20% less than the asking price. I just bought a boat, and that was pretty much the rule of thumb. If you can, try and find out how much other sisterships have sold for. That will be your barometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.