Which jib car to use on a Hunter 33

Jun 13, 2024
Hunter 33 Toronto
My Hunter 33 has two tracks with jib cars (was going to call them travelers, but found out that's wrong). One is lower on the deck and the other higher on top of the cabin. I've been consistently using the lower ones, if only because that's the way the boat was rigged when i got it and also because it seems to logically feed to the rear winches.

But I'm curious to learn about the pros/cons of using the higher mounted tracks/cars and whether there are certain wind conditions where one is preferable to the other.

I'll admit to being a total novice when it comes to the details of sail trim and a novice cruiser overall.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It depends on what headsail you are using. The "110" headsail, would often use the higher cabin top tracks. And that is typical for Hunters. Larger jibs may use the lower tracks. You need to size the jib. It may be written on it or on the sail bag.
To measure a jib, lay it out somewhere and run a tape from the clew to a perpendicular on the luff. If it is more than the measurement of the forestay attachment on deck to the mast it is over 100%.
Hunters with the B&R rig were typically 105% to 110%. Which means a small overlap of the jib to the foretriangle. But a previous owner could have had a bigger jib made for various reasons.