Which is most annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

One more: kids

Sorry to all the parents out there but, for me, there's nothing more annoying than screaming kids. I don't mind so much during "normal business hours" but kids have a tendency to wake up early and try to stay up late. And their voices carry better than a screeching osprey! Can you tell I'm not a parent? :) LaDonna

R

Roger Coventry

Blaring music at "club" above charter shop!!

On Saturday nights a "club" puts on blaring music from 1 AM till 4 AM above San Diego Yacht Charters on Harbor Island. If you plan to sleep aboard--bring earplugs!!!

S

Steve

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirt bike riding along the shore followed closely by the boom boxes!!!!

R

Rich

Easy... Jetski's, Jetski's and Jetski's

Why can't they simply be quiet, like a motorcycle? A muffled jetski couldn't have much fewer horsepower than the average model of a few years ago... what's the big deal? We all share the water. As for "halyard slap", which is mentioned several places here... I love it, and actually look forward to the sound! To each their own, I suppose... but to me, that gentle, rythmic slap is part of the boating experience. They should package it on a CD... how about that?! Rich.

M

Mike I

Noise

I have read the responses and and find most of the sounds mentioned are marina or mooring sounds. I can get used to most of those. Halyard slap is a familiar sound, slightly irratating, but familiar. What gets me is the noises that have nothing to do with water or boats; ie., loud music and jet skis (wet mototcycles). On a mooring, listening to the water slap the hull and an occational halyard slap nothing is more annoying than some moron submitting me to his 25,000 watt super stereo BOOM-CHICKKA-BOOM-CHICKKKKA-BOOM-CHICKKAA-BOOM-BOOMING across the water. Now that makes me wanna fix a few speakers with my 12 guage.

T

Tim Schaaf

anchoring too close

Most of the places I anchor are pretty deserted, so it is particularly annoying when another boat enters a HUGE anchorage, and tucks up really close to me. But, jet skis rank pretty close.

R

R.W.Landau

halyard slap

Halyard slap, provided it is not mine, is like the smell and sound of a diesel. They both bring instant and wonderful memories of places on the ocean. Call me a freak, I really don't care, these are two instant stimuli for me. So, jet skis are # 1 annoying, boom boxes are # 2 power boats at half throttle are # 3 disobediant kids #4 on water( # 1 on land), El cheapo super sailor is # 5. r.w.landau

R

Rob Rich

Consider Myself Lucky...

...just to have a boat big enough to sleep on, and enough money to keep it in its slip and properly maintained. It's hard to get annoyed when you live better than 97.5 percent of the world.... From that viewpoint, every nautical sound and sight should be considered beautiful... Rob

L

Lisa Woodburn

The sound of Game

OK- jetskiers are annoying, waterskiers usually have enough common sense not to come into "our cove" - but when anchored out midweek and Game

W

Wendell Crim

Get a good dinghy

Our solution to anchorage noise pollution is a good rowing dinghy and beefed up ground tackle. We recently bought a 10ft dinghy from Gig Harbor Boatworks designed for efficient rowing and can anchor beyond the noise zone of most anchorages while still accessing shore. To the rhode, I increased the chain length to 50ft and nylon to 200 ft. We have securely anchor in 70ft of water with a 15ft tide change over night. On our last trip to the San Juan islands, we enjoyed a full week of quiet nightly anchorings and not one in a marina. The dinghy slid easily to shore.

L

Lisa Woodburn

Coyotes? Where? (sorry-not related to thread)

To those who heard coyotes at Lake Powell... Where were you? We've been going there every year for the past 3 or 4 years and never heard a LOUD bunch of coyotes! (just some in the distance when we camped at Lone Rock). Also, did you sail Powell? I heard it's not great for sailing, although saw a couple of sailboats there? How was it? BTW- Coyotes are basically harmless scavengers. I used to have a part coyote for a pet (for 13 yrs) - and he was a sweetheart

M

M. R. Burwell

Halyards slapping in the wind are by far the most annoying sound to me in an anchorage. Such an easy problem to eliminate if only the offenders had a clue.

J

Jon Petersen

I like Bob Sawyer's answer!

I am most annoyed when I can't be at the boat... Once there I can handle life, I take it a little slower.

R

Rich

Burwell... "...had a clue"?

I am still amazed at the halyard answers. It's true, I didn't "have a clue", as Burwell sarcastically suggests. I would no more have a clue that halyards would bother someone, than seagulls, or water slapping gently on the sides of one's boat, or the sound of wind in the sails! I would be as surprised at Burwell's suggestion to keep my halyards quiet as I would if he [or the other halyard haters] told me to please get quieter sailcloth, or please stop the waves from popping against my transom! So I don't "have a clue"... why someone would sail, who hates the sounds of a sailboat!

J

Jerry

Halyard Slap

I find Halyard "Slap" the most annoying noise in the marinas and anchorages that I frequent.

J

John Allison

It all depends!

It all depends on who you ask and where you are. If I am docked at a resort type of marina, I expect a lot of party related noise but someone with loud exhausts reving their engine would be my chief complaint. Anchored in a secluded bay, anything excessive that breaks the tranquility is annoying. If you ask my wife, it is my snoring.

R

Rich

farnsworth... "duct tape" MY halyards????

Farnsworth... you say, "If you ever find yourself on halyard patrol in a marina, THE BEST solution for slating halyards is to duct-tape the offending line to a shroud." Do you actually mean you would step on someone's boat, and put duct tape on their private property? I think you might have a fist-fight on your hands one day! Or, if we find your hairstyle offensive, can we duct tape that, too? I wouldn't go around vandalizing other's boats if I were you.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
actually Farnsworth has a good idea.

Rich: Johns idea is not too bad. Most of these guys that have slapping halyards never use there boats anyway. So if you duct tape their halyards (a: they will never know the difference or b: they will realize that there is a problem the next time they use the boat). Many marina have rules regarding halyard noise. It's just that the culprit does not know about the problem because they went home without securing them.

S

Scott

Not yet mentioned - Wind Gens

One irratant not yet mentioned is a certian brand of wind generator (has the words 'marine' and 'air' in it). These seem to be the loudest windgens on the planet. One boat anchored off allens cay in the abacos had 2 of these mounted on his stern. Sounded like a twin engine cesna warming up for takeoff! But there is nothing like the sound of 2 amateur guitarists influenced by mass quantities of hops flavored beverages - but that noise is always coming from our boat! Scott 83-H34-188 Island Hops

Status
Not open for further replies.